Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought the torque converter got loose, scary noise one end to the other, found the honeycomb was loose in the casing. Mechanic says he's see the ceramic back up into the motor and it's not good. Exhaust pulses break it up. Are they readily available? (rt. side)

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
A little more info.

Thanks for this post. How many miles are on your R and the pulsing of the exhaust was that the same as "Revving the engine??:surprise:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
86K and I build racing engines but don't beat on my ride. check engine light appeared, bad cat. But the noise just started. I have a hot rod for that.

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,931 Posts
check your warranty for cats... should be around 112K mi or something like that. it's been a long time since I had a rattling issue with mine, but well below 100K. I didn't have to have it replaced as it was a fastener issue and Not the CAT. it rattled between 45 and 30 MPH when decelerating....

·
Registered
470 Posts
I was speaking to Mike Byers the other day because I may need a new CAT.
He said that they were discontinued. So, I will probably need an exemption from the California C.A.R.B.. I spoke to the C.A.R.B person and they said you can only replace it when it fails SMOG.
Just be thankful that you don't live in California!

·
Just a Canadian Fanatic!!
2004 SSR Ultra Violet
42,715 Posts
86K and I build racing engines but don't beat on my ride. check engine light appeared, bad cat. But the noise just started. I have a hot rod for that.
What about replacing it/them with race cats? I know that means replacing both.
I have a friend who cut his cats out on his Buick T-Type, then regretted it due to terrible drone from the dual exhaust, so he replaced them with race cats and took care of the drone, but no loss in HP.

·
Two Tone Owner
2,657 Posts
When mine went bad, I replaced the Ypipe with new catalatic converters allready welded on.
1 piece, easy job. I think it is hard to weld in new cats. Cost was somewhere around $300-350 for the new Ypipe. :yellow:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When mine went bad, I replaced the Ypipe with new catalatic converters allready welded on.
1 piece, easy job. I think it is hard to weld in new cats. Cost was somewhere around $300-350 for the new Ypipe. :yellow:
I was looking at that. Also the shop had a high volume cat on the shelf. He claimed it would not flow enough on a big Cu.In. motor but would be finefine for mine.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
:|
I'm kinda thinkin' you (took the pipe) in more ways than one. Custom muffler/exhaust shops have no real problems with welding in new exhaust pipes/tail pipes and/or the Y pipe.

I recently did the Magnaflow (2 in/2 out) muffler and the elimination of the Y pipe. The whole deal cost me $200:wink2:

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,808 Posts
Different areas of the country and how hungry the business is for new customers may account for some of the price variations.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Different areas of the country and how hungry the business is for new customers may account for some of the price variations.

Dave
:smile2:
Dave, you're absolutely right. Note that you're currently located down south and I'm most of the way south via No. Carolina.....while the quoted guy talkin' about the costs, is up in the North (Liberal/Union loving) territory. Thus, they "take the pipe" and pay way more for most stuff than the rest of us.:wink2:

·
Two Tone Owner
2,657 Posts
:|
I'm kinda thinkin' you (took the pipe) in more ways than one. Custom muffler/exhaust shops have no real problems with welding in new exhaust pipes/tail pipes and/or the Y pipe.

I recently did the Magnaflow (2 in/2 out) muffler and the elimination of the Y pipe. The whole deal cost me $200:wink2:
You are correct, but in our area, we don’t have any good custom exhaust shops. They want to replace with original parts. If I remember right, the cat is in a bad area to weld all around it and our shops couldn’t do it.
If I had to do it over again, I would just get the loose (rattling) pieces out of there and use it as is. I didn’t have any problems or check engine lights. It was just noisy and annoying. :yellow:

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
When my OEM Cats failed, I was shocked at the $$$ tags on the Cats. I ordered some replacement Cats from on of the big name after market muffler manf that has direct OEM replacements parts, (sorry I forgot the name), and my local Middas Shop gave this company high praises on their replacement Cats.

So when the day came to replace the so called direct replacement Cats, it was a nightmare. No way would these direct replacement Cat's be installed without heavy modifications to the exhaust and maybe some cross member mods. So we put the project on hold.

I was reviewing Cat replacement options and ended up on the Mustang page similar to our SS/R page and everyone was talking about the Pypes systems. So I call Pypes and ended up with a sales clerk who owns a Trailblazzer SS and he just completed an exhaust mod with long tube headers on his TBSS and advised me that the Pypes Cats would fit.

He offered me three choices, OEM standard flow Cat, Hi Flo Cat, and a Racing Cat. The clerk installed the Hi Flo Cat in his TBSS and was very pleased with them, so I went with the Hi Flo Cat. When the Cat's arrived I was very impressed with the quality as well as the size.

The Middas shop was also impressed with the quality of the Cat. Install was a breeze with no mods needed for install. Once the R was started, I could tell it had a different rumble to it. (I have Magniflo one in two out system installed from the Cat's back.)

When I left the shop to head home after the install I noticed a totally different response to the acceleration as well as a much healthier rumble from the exhaust.

So if you are needing Cat replacements, by all means look into the Pypes program.

T

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,808 Posts
I'm going to be replacing my cat insulation blanket along with the clamps since the blanket and clamp had cracked in half. I don't think I ever heard it rattle though.

Dave

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,068 Posts
You are correct, but in our area, we don’t have any good custom exhaust shops. They want to replace with original parts. If I remember right, the cat is in a bad area to weld all around it and our shops couldn’t do it.
If I had to do it over again, I would just get the loose (rattling) pieces out of there and use it as is. I didn’t have any problems or check engine lights. It was just noisy and annoying. :yellow:

Checked the internet and they claim you have several custom speed shops that build custom exhaust. Here is one example.

Services - Ian's Speed Shop

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I sent the original cat discussion, and put my SSR on the lift . Sure enough the cat element is loose and breaking up in the housing. We decided a complete y system is the easiest and best way. Welding in a cat is problematic space wise to get it welded all the way around . If you drop the y just to weld in two new ones, you've already done most of the hard work. I'll bite the bullet at some point and rip it down may insulate the ABS module while I'm there, it's way to close.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts