Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving my 05 for 1 block and shutting it off for about two minuits, when I restarted it the engine would not respond to the throtle, so I went back home at an idle. After turning it off and restarting it everything was ok. Has anybody experienced that and what caused it?
BLURRSSR

:ssr :ssr :ssr :ssr :ssr :ssr :ssr :ssr

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
A few have had this and a thread can be found called "Limp Mode". If the computer senses that the temp is too high it activates a program that is called Limp Home Mode, it is there to save the engine from catastrophic damage. If it happens again let it idle a few seconds and then turn it off and restart, so long as the temp dropped while it idled it will reset and everything will be back to normal.

·
Registered
2005 SSR
436 Posts
I got in a rush at work, a while back. Just jumped in with key in hand and started the truck up as I got in.

Sound system went out.

I think the computer system has to go through its wake-up call to all systems before you crank it or somebody is going to get left out of the loop.

You rebooted yours by shutting it off and restarting. I pulled the fuse on the sound system and then put it back. Everything works.

Skip

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
Scotty,

I can agree with the high temp problem putting you in a limp home mode, but it could also be the hint of another problem.

The lack of throttle is possibly due to a "fault" sensed during BIT (built in test) on powerup of the computer. This is like the boot-up self test of your PC. It may be due to an incorrect signal in the throttle positioning, either the sending unit at the floor or the position feedback from the throttle body. This is a critical check that must be OK prior to allowing throttle movement of any kind. If the "commanded" position does not agree with the "actual" position, the computer should NOT allow the engine toi be driven. This check is only on power-up, as going into this mode during full operation would be a bad thing......

If it happens again, take careful note for a "check engine" light and remember the temperature gauge reading. The fault is not stored in "non-volatile" memory and the dealership will have to take your word for it since the next power-up willprobably clear the fault.

The Service Department will probably change the most likey suspect part after you describe the problem and let them know it has happened more than once.

If you want to discuss this off line, PM me and I'll give you my work number. This is exactly the same kind of BIT logic that I work with on our FADEC controlled aircraft engines.

Mike

R

·
0 Posts
slight hesitation

anyone had a problem of slight hesitation of the throttle just coming off idle. It seems that once I get past that point it is fine.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I too had the limp mode problem, but mine was far worse. It turned out that the torque converter and the wiring harness on my tranny had to be replaced. They also had to replace the ignition switch because after they fixed all the other stuff, the truck would not stop running. Thank God I have the extended warranty. Worth every penny.:seeya

·
Registered
192 Posts
roger riley said:
anyone had a problem of slight hesitation of the throttle just coming off idle. It seems that once I get past that point it is fine.
Isn't the SSR a throttle by wire (e.g. electric signal vice cable) like the Corvette is? With a throttle by wire, you can have a problem with the throttle position sensor, which may have a dead spot. I had this problem with my Z06 when new. They replaced the throttle position sensor under warranty and it has been fine ever since.

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
35 Posts
slight hesitation

I get a vibration at 1200-1400 rpm, after that it seems ok. Started the morning after I had trans rebuilt, but after replacing the torque converter first, then the motor mounts (twice) it is still there. No one has been able to figure it out yet so let me know if you find out anything please. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
590 Posts
This one has come up before & please note this thread is 15 years old which doesn't make it less valid, but this problem has been discussed since, in fact recently. Is problem from engine, in neutral, or vehicle in motion? If not in neutral, in all gears? Any miss fire codes? Look for separation of harmonic balancer, bad serpentine belt components, lots of possibilities.
Also, a non responsive throttle and a vibration are probably not the same issue.

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
35 Posts
This one has come up before & please note this thread is 15 years old which doesn't make it less valid, but this problem has been discussed since, in fact recently. Is problem from engine, in neutral, or vehicle in motion? If not in neutral, in all gears? Any miss fire codes? Look for separation of harmonic balancer, bad serpentine belt components, lots of possibilities.
Also, a non responsive throttle and a vibration are probably not the same issue.
It does it standing still in neutral or driving down the road. Replaced a/c spring pulley and belt, main ones ok. Changed plugs and wires. Replaced torque converter, motor mounts twice because I was told aftermarket ones can do that and I needed ac delco ones. Made a little difference but did not eliminate it. I don't know what else to check.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
:rolleyes:
"I get a vibration at 1200-1400 rpm, after that it seems ok. Started the morning after I had trans rebuilt, but after replacing the torque converter first, then the motor mounts (twice) it is still there. "

I'm focusing on this comment...........( Started the morning after I had trans rebuilt,).......Are you saying the vibration problem was NOT there prior to the trans rebuild???

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
It does it standing still in neutral or driving down the road. Replaced a/c spring pulley and belt, main ones ok. Changed plugs and wires. Replaced torque converter, motor mounts twice because I was told aftermarket ones can do that and I needed ac delco ones. Made a little difference but did not eliminate it. I don't know what else to check.
Well, sounds like you've eliminated the driveshaft, it has to be engine rotating assembly. In your belt search I guess you looked at the damper for any evidence of separation. You keep getting back to the trans removal & rebuild and I am afraid that is where you are going to end, too large a coincidence. When the torque converter was re-replaced was the flywheel inspected. May be a faulty memory, but it seems I recall a Fanatic with a similar problem that ended up with a cracked flywheel or something like.

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
35 Posts
Factory 1 second delay at throttle. Have Tune, delay removed.

Vibration is drive shaft.

Doesn't bother me, 149,000 miles later.

Dicktator
Does it in neutral or park sitting still as well as when driving.
"I get a vibration at 1200-1400 rpm, after that it seems ok. Started the morning after I had trans rebuilt, but after replacing the torque converter first, then the motor mounts (twice) it is still there. "

I'm focusing on this comment...........( Started the morning after I had trans rebuilt,).......Are you saying the vibration problem was NOT there prior to the trans rebuild???
It was not but I went to him first and he replaced torque converter and rechecked the trans. It got better but didn't go away. He swears there is nothing wrong with trans or flexplat lol. That's when I did motor mounts, they were bad and like everything I've done it got better but didn't solve the problem. Initially it vibrated from 1200 up through 2200 before it stopped. Now it's only 1200-1400 where it has always vibrated the most. I'm learning to live with it, I just check once in a while to see if any new ideas come up.
Well, sounds like you've eliminated the driveshaft, it has to be engine rotating assembly. In your belt search I guess you looked at the damper for any evidence of separation. You keep getting back to the trans removal & rebuild and I am afraid that is where you are going to end, too large a coincidence. When the torque converter was re-replaced was the flywheel inspected. May be a faulty memory, but it seems I recall a Fanatic with a similar problem that ended up with a cracked flywheel or something like.
I wish it was that simple but unless trans guy is lying to me things are good.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
:unsure::unsure:
"I'm focusing on this comment...........( Started the morning after I had trans rebuilt,).......Are you saying the vibration problem was NOT there prior to the trans rebuild???
It was not but I went to him first and he replaced torque converter and rechecked the trans. It got better but didn't go away. "

I'm left remaining confused..............I asked if vib. problem was (NOT) there prior to the rebuild of the trans.

You respond NO..............meaning to me the vib WAS NOT THERE BEFORE THE REBUILD.

This begs the question............If there indeed was NO VIB prior to the rebuild, Why and for what reason was the torque converter replaced. We need to tie in........the trans rebuild to your vib problem or understand you did indeed have it BEFORE.......any work on the trans. Which would ELIMINATE most any thing to do with the trans work.:censored::censored::censored:

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Does it in neutral or park sitting still as well as when driving.

It was not but I went to him first and he replaced torque converter and rechecked the trans. It got better but didn't go away. He swears there is nothing wrong with trans or flexplat lol. That's when I did motor mounts, they were bad and like everything I've done it got better but didn't solve the problem. Initially it vibrated from 1200 up through 2200 before it stopped. Now it's only 1200-1400 where it has always vibrated the most. I'm learning to live with it, I just check once in a while to see if any new ideas come up.

I wish it was that simple but unless trans guy is lying to me things are good.
Again, I tried to find the thread but there are lots of vibration issue posts. To the best of my recollection there was a fanatic with a similar situation & I think trans shop removed trans a couple of times. Finally removed & inspected the flexplate more carefully and found the problem. I don't want to depend on my memory but I think there was a hairline crack that was only visible with careful inspection. If any one else remembers that one please chime in! Since you state replacing the converter helped but did not eliminate the issue it pretty much narrows the problem to the converter/flexplate area in my opinion.

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
35 Posts
:unsure::unsure:
"I'm focusing on this comment...........( Started the morning after I had trans rebuilt,).......Are you saying the vibration problem was NOT there prior to the trans rebuild???

It was not but I went to him first and he replaced torque converter and rechecked the trans. It got better but didn't go away. "

I'm left remaining confused..............I asked if vib. problem was (NOT) there prior to the rebuild of the trans.

You respond NO..............meaning to me the vib WAS NOT THERE BEFORE THE REBUILD.

This begs the question............If there indeed was NO VIB prior to the rebuild, Why and for what reason was the torque converter replaced. We need to tie in........the trans rebuild to your vib problem or understand you did indeed have it BEFORE.......any work on the trans. Which would ELIMINATE most ltany thing to do with the trans work.:censored::censored::censored:
He replaced the converter because it was a rebuilt one and he thought it may have been defective, it wasn't from his normal supplier. The second one was better but didn't eliminate the problem. At this point I'm just going to live with it, everything I've done has made it better but never eliminated it. The truck was fine on the drive home from getting it rebuilt, the next morning when I started it is when it started. I avoid that rpm range and grumble to myself when I do get in that range, but short of paying another shop to take it apart, which I can't afford if nothing is wrong I don't know what else to do but live with it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
I'm done with this post and kinda think Tuckerred may have zeroed in on the problem source. For some reason, when the original poster is explaining the problem, He just cannot seem to respond to the question of was there or was there not a vib problem BEFORE the trans work as much as I have tried to get that answer.

See ya later.......................

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
35 Posts
I'm done with this post and kinda think Tuckerred may have zeroed in on the problem source. For some reason, when the original poster is explaining the problem, He just cannot seem to respond to the question of was there or was there not a vib problem BEFORE the trans work as much as I have tried to get that answer.

See ya later.......................
I have said more than once the vibration was NOT there. Everyone keeps asking the same questions about things I have already tried, I've been dealing with this for a year now and as I said I just check to see if someone has run into the same problem. Thanks for everyone's advice but I am done with this also, take care all, be safe.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts