Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys - since i have SO many questions prior to my potential purchase of another SSR =0) I'll be starting lots of little threads like this I'm sure.

Assuming I *dont* get an aftermarket stereo with Nav, i'm definitely going back to a Garmin system. Problem is, how to integrate its mounting such that it looks good in the truck.

In my old Murano, I had it in the center of the dash, just above the stereo, which looked fine because there was a lip across the dash top that I could hide the cord behind. When it's up there it's almost like a HUD too, with the builtin speed indicator always in view.

Where do you guys have yours, if you have them? I thought the middle of the dash again, but it'd be more awkward and have visible mountings if i did that in the SSR. I also thought about making a kind of shroud to extend back from the windshield to cover the unit, and at least make it look more integrated than just like a little TV glued to the dash. (think "reversed ramair scoop" as a cowling over the unit).

What say you?

·
Jeff & Terri
1,120 Posts
I do not have the gauges on mine so I keep mine at the bottom of the center console under the ashtray.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I thought a lot about this problem. I have a Clarion N.I.C.E system, which has a 7" screen, 20 gig HD (10 for nav, 10 for audio), FM transmitter, and Sirrus satellite option.

I realllly wanted an in-dash unit, but this was the best alternative (for now). I like this system since it doesn't obstruct view by sitting on the dash, is big enough to see, and I didn't have to drill to mount.

The only problem I could find with putting it here was bad satellite reception. I fixed that problem by mounting the antenna extention to the back of the rearview mirror (which made hiding the cable surprisingly easy).

Clarion N.I.C.E

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Holy crap, Phantom - you're listening to AikoStar?!?! I know their bass player a bit (us bassists have an online community that dwarfs even the great SSRFanatic!) =0)

anyways, guys, I had definitely thought of putting a unit down forward of the shifter, but doesn't it take your eyes too far off the road to pay attention to it?

Larry - what unit is that you installed? I finally got to look at an AVIC-D1 last night in person and it wasn't quite as "awesome" as I thought it would be - not bad though.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
What do they offer in the way of updates for GPS mapping?
Does it come with Cd player? Multiple discs?

Adaption for XM, or does it only handle Sirius?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Musazk

JammaDave
I was looking at the pioneer also back in September they had a deal going with rebates and discounts that the cost was about $1600, but I was not impressed with the unit.

I went with the Kenwood DDX7017 (in dash)and DV4100 Nav ( under pass. seat) than I started adding the modules for sirius, I-pod, steering wheel controls, and backup camera etc.

It sounded better than the AVIC-D1 in the showroom to me, but in the car still did not have enough kick.

So I changed all the speakers to JL, added two amps (behind pass. seat), custom mounted a 10" sub (behind the drivers seat), and used the Dynamat extreme door kits.

IT is perfect now.:jester

Focks

The DDX7017 is a single CD/DVD behind the screen I think they had a six cd module but I was running out of room to mount things.
Thes GPS is a two disk system eastcoast westcoast many more POI's than before.
The dealer said they update every year but I don't think the upgrades are cheap
They do have adapters for both XM and sirius

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LarryAnchor: Please to post a screenshot of your DDX playing Sirius. I wanna see what the interface looks like - the OEM Nav radio in my Vette doesn't show my Sat song/artist unless i hit a button and I hate that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Larryanchor said:
JammaDave
I was looking at the pioneer also back in September they had a deal going with rebates and discounts that the cost was about $1600, but I was not impressed with the unit.

I went with the Kenwood DDX7017 (in dash)and DV4100 Nav ( under pass. seat) than I started adding the modules for sirius, I-pod, steering wheel controls, and backup camera etc.

It sounded better than the AVIC-D1 in the showroom to me, but in the car still did not have enough kick.

So I changed all the speakers to JL, added two amps (behind pass. seat), custom mounted a 10" sub (behind the drivers seat), and used the Dynamat extreme door kits.

IT is perfect now.:jester

Focks

The DDX7017 is a single CD/DVD behind the screen I think they had a six cd module but I was running out of room to mount things.
Thes GPS is a two disk system eastcoast westcoast many more POI's than before.
The dealer said they update every year but I don't think the upgrades are cheap
They do have adapters for both XM and sirius

How is the ipod interface on the kenwood ? I was looking at the pioneer Avic D1 but heard the interface was really slow. I've heard good things about Alpine but haven't heard if the kenwood worked well with the ipod. How did the Kenwood setup compare to the stock setup before you added the amps and changed the speakers ? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Music

It is a custom box that took me longer to find a place to put it then make it.
I thought it would pose a problem with the seat travel but at 6' I still have plenty of leg room.

Dave the car is in the shop having the headliner changed but I will get you a shot of the screen it is pretty neat the the song /artist display line is a nice size and scrolls all the time

The i-pod works well with the kenwood it is a pleasure to see information on the radio screen and not be looking down at the i-pod all the time.
Although I cannot get the video from the i-pod to work not sure if it does

Truthfully I did not see much of a change with just the radio besides adding Nav, i-pod, sirius and DVD to the system so thats why I kept going.:jester

Attachments

·
LKMURKY
450 Posts
gps install option

I do not have the gauges on mine so I keep mine at the bottom of the center console under the ashtray.
I am in the same boat. It occurred to me the ashtray area could easily be adapted to be a drop down for a hidden GPS. Anybody tried this yet? Seems I could fit a 7" GPS with a remote backup cam in there, & I could leave the factory stereo intact. Any suggestions on this???
Cary
O4 Slingshot. :yellow:

·
#1 SidePipe Club
3,299 Posts
Removed the ash tray

I keep mine there too but removed the ashtray. I was always bumping the ashtray. With the other two power ports we don't miss the third.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
I have my Garmin on a bean bag mount. I put it on the dash when in use and put it behind the seat when i don't need it.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,064 Posts
hey guys - since i have SO many questions prior to my potential purchase of another SSR =0) I'll be starting lots of little threads like this I'm sure.

Assuming I *dont* get an aftermarket stereo with Nav, i'm definitely going back to a Garmin system. Problem is, how to integrate its mounting such that it looks good in the truck.

In my old Murano, I had it in the center of the dash, just above the stereo, which looked fine because there was a lip across the dash top that I could hide the cord behind. When it's up there it's almost like a HUD too, with the builtin speed indicator always in view.

Where do you guys have yours, if you have them? I thought the middle of the dash again, but it'd be more awkward and have visible mountings if i did that in the SSR. I also thought about making a kind of shroud to extend back from the windshield to cover the unit, and at least make it look more integrated than just like a little TV glued to the dash. (think "reversed ramair scoop" as a cowling over the unit).

What say you?
Mine folds flat and goes in the door cubby hole. No wires to hide. I get them free at any rest stop. It is called a map. Just a joke but what do you expect, our kids call us "CAVE PEOPLE". Keep on truckin!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW old thread! Since the 8-9 years ago when I posted this question, my cell phone has become my GPS, so now I just need a good phone mount and I'm all set =0)

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I like the bean bag too. Easy to use and portable for other vehicles. You still have to update the unit with a cost unless you have a GPS with a life time update free. Lately, I have been using Google Maps on my cell phone and it works very well and is always updated.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I have a backup cam on my Kenwood system. I mount my garmin on "bean bag" attachment on the dash. I take it off when I am not using it and use it in my other vehicles. Works well for me. Got it on a "black Friday" even and updates are free.

Not as good as a nav system through the audio unit, but less expensive and I use it on other vehicles.

Dave

·
Just a Canadian Fanatic!!
2004 SSR Ultra Violet
42,701 Posts
WOW old thread! Since the 8-9 years ago when I posted this question, my cell phone has become my GPS, so now I just need a good phone mount and I'm all set =0)
I have a Ram Mount for my iPhone I keep it on the painted part of the center console!!
Works awesome!!!

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,398 Posts
I have a TomTom GPS and it is mounted on the dash with a ProClip unit. This is a two part mount which comes from ProClip.com and has a part for the specific vehicle and an adjoining part which is specific to the device. check it out.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts