Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
189 the LAST blur
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after attending Spring Fling, I'm going to start driving the R more this season when I get home. Asking for advice/opinions on paint protection for front end that you would call best bang for the buck. I'm leaning toward the black leather type cover as my R is black. Are there any "chaffing" issues around the headlight areas from wind buffeting that I've experienced with my corvette 2 piece bra. that I finally gave up on after several rebuffs. I'm sure this topic has been covered but save me the search. Many thanks as always for this wonderful community.:black:

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,189 Posts
Well after attending Spring Fling, I'm going to start driving the R more this season when I get home. Asking for advice/opinions on paint protection for front end that you would call best bang for the buck. I'm leaning toward the black leather type cover as my R is black. Are there any "chaffing" issues around the headlight areas from wind buffeting that I've experienced with my corvette 2 piece bra. that I finally gave up on after several rebuffs. I'm sure this topic has been covered but save me the search. Many thanks as always for this wonderful community.:black:
You answered your own question. Given time + speed they vibrate and beat up the clear coat. Especially on BLACK!

I forgot to mention earlier I never cared for the look but that is just me. Get what you want.

·
Super Moderator
13,978 Posts
I use the hood part of the nose bra on any highway excursions - take it off when I get home
The front of the hood seems to be the chip magnet - don't think the grille catches much abuse
I am hopeful the limited use will not create the abrasion, but time will tell

The examples of 3M that I have seen eventually develop a dark line at the finish point across the hood and fenders
That doesn't excite me too much either, so a question of damage control.
I already have some minor chips so would have to paint in order to have the 3M make any sense anyway

Never heard of Ex-Pel paint protection

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
We've got the 3M film product on the leading edge of the hood, fenders and side mirrors. Yes you can see the line, but on black I think it's not so detracting.

And of course, there is always something that misses the 3M

Had experience with a vinyl bra many years ago on a black car. Protected well, but scuffed the paint underneath badly, and seemed to attract grit under the bra.

Ken, Vancouver Island

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
Stay with the Colgan type bra, but use some painters tape under the edges. It eliminates the rub and does no damage to the clear coat.:jester
Ahhhh so that’s how ya do it. Nice idea!

·
189 the LAST blur
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use the hood part of the nose bra on any highway excursions - take it off when I get home
The front of the hood seems to be the chip magnet - don't think the grille catches much abuse
I am hopeful the limited use will not create the abrasion, but time will tell

The examples of 3M that I have seen eventually develop a dark line at the finish point across the hood and fenders
That doesn't excite me too much either, so a question of damage control.
I already have some minor chips so would have to paint in order to have the 3M make any sense anyway

Never heard of Ex-Pel paint protection
My neighbor got a new Z-06 last year and did the Ex-pel treatment on the whole car. Was used as a promotion and the discounted price was $3,500 Cdn in Toronto. Same outfit does flat black on anything if desired. Not for me for saving the minor chips on the front end from getting worse. Where exactly does the painters tape go. My old bra had really nice kind of micro fiber material on the back side but still abraided the finish somewhat after some 75mph jaunts over a 3 year period even after taking off for occasion detailings. Nice comments and tips as usual.

·
HobbyBob
641 Posts
Allow 3/4" of the tape to be exposed under the "bra".I usually do only the fenders, as the hood nosepiece fits quite snuggly.:jester

·
189 the LAST blur
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Blue tape or Green??

Allow 3/4" of the tape to be exposed under the "bra".I usually do only the fenders, as the hood nosepiece fits quite snuggly.:jester
Very interesting. Nice tip. Have you ever experienced any residue from the sticky after removal once you arrive at the take off location. I guess Instant Detailer and Micro Fiber brings it back. Now all I need is the Calgon cover.
Anyone got a spare/leftover they want to part with. Are they the only supplier. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts