Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took Penelope in for an oil change and a diagnostic check on the PCM. Had the engine icon light on most of the trip returning from Dallas last Sunday. Wanted to know how severe the history of misfires or errors stored in the PCM were.

Did both in about 30 minutes. Said I would have to bring it back Monday and run a complete diagnostic check which might take 6 or 7 hours.:willy: However did change the oil and filter. Go to pay the bill...its $28.00:eek . Pretty cheap for Mobil 1 synthetic. Ooops...we put regular oil in. Back in to change it to Mobil 1. $65, that's more like it.:skep

Service Mgr says she needs to talk to me. Now what. Service Tech knocked the prop stand out accidently and tore the insulation pad on the hood, but didn't scratch the fender or outside paint. We now have one on order to replace it. Anything else?? Nope thats it.

I was able to talk her into a free installation of the hood strut kit when I purchase one. Guess I better call Eric at MPD for the kit. Guess thats something for the agrivation.

Sure glad I didn't have a laundry list of things for them to do....might still be there.

P/P

Peace:flag

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
oops!

That's the way a dealership should be--up front with you if they tear something up. You will definitely be back to them I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
WAYNESWORLD said:
That's the way a dealership should be--up front with you if they tear something up. You will definitely be back to them I'm sure.
:agree I had over 30 years of various customer service positions before I retired from IBM. I made my share of mistakes and always told my customer if I screwed something up and how I was going to make it right. I never had a customer give me any problems and I always slept well at night. Why can't some service organizations grasp the simple concept that most consumers don't expect perfection every time, but we do expect fairness and honesty and if they put things right we will be back!! (getting off soapbox now)

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
My dealership is never upfront about anything. That is why I now drive 50 miles for service:banghead

·
Registered
416 Posts
KySSR said:
My dealership is never upfront about anything. That is why I now drive 50 miles for service:banghead
In addition to voting with your wallet by going to another dealership for service (with which I agree entirely), you should write a letter to the general manager of the dealer who lost your business, copying the dealer's service manager and Chevrolet / GM, explaining why they lost your business.

It might not change anything, but I also like to tell people why I'm no longer their customer. Without that kind of feedback, they have no impetus to improve. They might not improve anyway, but you've done your part.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Purple Penelope: If they tore your hood insulator blanket, there is a good probability they also bent the hood prop rod when it got slammed by the falling hood.

You can easily detect this by seeing if the hood prop rod still fits PROPERLY into the white plastic retainer clip near the radiator. If you have to force it in, it WILL break the clip eventually, as the clip canno take that stress. If the rod is bent, insist on it being replaced as well. Do not allow them to try to bend it back to proper shape for 2 reasons:

1. They won't be able to get the funny proper shape correctly by hand without equipment, and

2. The bending will further weaken the prop rod, and it was marginal to begin with.

How do I know all this? Painful experience on my own SSR.

Jim G

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Jim....Yes they did bend the prop rod. It is more crescent shaped now than ever. Part of the negotiating for the labor to install the strut kit was in lieu of buying a new rod. Forgot to mention that.

I need to mention that this dealer (Preston Hood) has been up front with me from the start of our association. We had some tussles on the windshield replacement for the missing antenna section but that was a District Rep snafoo event.

Dealers are ultimately concerned with the "Satisfaction Report" from customers as it affects the Service Advisors bonus and the Service Department effeciency. Question 16 on the Sat Report must be a "Completely Satisfied" of they hear about it from GM.

P/P

·
Registered
349 Posts
ssr blur said:
:agree I had over 30 years of various customer service positions before I retired from IBM. I made my share of mistakes and always told my customer if I screwed something up and how I was going to make it right. I never had a customer give me any problems and I always slept well at night. Why can't some service organizations grasp the simple concept that most consumers don't expect perfection every time, but we do expect fairness and honesty and if they put things right we will be back!! (getting off soapbox now)
AMEN:thumbs

·
Registered
262 Posts
hood pad

Purple Penelope said:
Took Penelope in for an oil change and a diagnostic check on the PCM. Had the engine icon light on most of the trip returning from Dallas last Sunday. Wanted to know how severe the history of misfires or errors stored in the PCM were.

Did both in about 30 minutes. Said I would have to bring it back Monday and run a complete diagnostic check which might take 6 or 7 hours.:willy: However did change the oil and filter. Go to pay the bill...its $28.00:eek . Pretty cheap for Mobil 1 synthetic. Ooops...we put regular oil in. Back in to change it to Mobil 1. $65, that's more like it.:skep

Service Mgr says she needs to talk to me. Now what. Service Tech knocked the prop stand out accidently and tore the insulation pad on the hood, but didn't scratch the fender or outside paint. We now have one on order to replace it. Anything else?? Nope thats it.

I was able to talk her into a free installation of the hood strut kit when I purchase one. Guess I better call Eric at MPD for the kit. Guess thats something for the agrivation.

Sure glad I didn't have a laundry list of things for them to do....might still be there.

P/P

"A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM".....WELL WITH MY HOOD PAD:
ON JAN 1 2005 I WAS PROUDLY PICKING UP MY U/V 04 SSR, EXCITED AS WELL, AND RAISED THE HOOD TO INSPECT ITS HEART. I THEN WANDERED AROUND THE VEHICLE AND EVENTUALLY RETURNED TO THE ENGINE AREA, PROPMTLY PULLING DOWN THE HOOD, BENDING THE ROD AND TEARING THE PAD. DRAT....ITS MY OWN FAULT, WHAT CAN I SAY, JUST STRAIGHTENED OUT THE ROD, SUCKED IT UP AND WENT ON ABOUT ENJOYING MY NEW LOVE.
I HEAR OF THE NEW AND IMPROVED HOOD PAD COMING OUT AND DECIDE THAT IT IS DESTINY, I'LL JUST WAIT IT OUT.
FAST FORWARD TO AUGUST, I TAKE THE NEW BABY TO MY DEAR FRIEND AND BODY MAN FOR A GHOST FLAME JOB, WHICH HE FINISHES ON THURSDAY MORNING AND I HEAD NORTH FOR THE SSR HOMECOMING.
ANOTHER WEEK GOES BY AND I'M HOME POKING AROUND UNDER THE HOOD AND NOTICE MY HOOD PAD HAS NO TEARS IN IT! SO, AT 11:30 PM I CALL MY BODY MAN AND LEAVE HIM A VERY NICE MESSAGE ON HIS ANSWERING MACHINE ABOUT HOW NICE HE WAS TO HAVE GOT ME A NEW HOOD PAD DURING THE COURSE OF THE PAINT WORK. (HE'S JUST THAT KIND OF GUY)
THE NEXT MORNING I GET A RETURN CALL FROM HIM, A CONFESSION ABOUT HE PULLING DOWN THE HOOD AND BENDS THE ROD AND SOMEHOW TEARS MY HOOD PAD IN THE PROCESS. HE EXPLAINS HOW TERRIBLE HE FELT AND HOW HE SPEC ORDERED A PAD, OVERNIGHT DELIVERY ETC JUST TO MAKE IT RIGHT FOR ME UPON DELIVERY OF MY VEHICLE.........I'M JUST ABOUT TO DOUBLE OVER LAUGHING, HE, NOT SEEING THE HUMOR IN THE SITUATION, AND IN THE FAMOUS WORDS OF BURT REYNOLDS TO THE SHERRIF IN SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT I SAID " FREDDY YOU ARE TOO GOOD OF A MAN TO BEAR THIS" AND I TOLD HIM WHEN MY HOOD PAD GOT TORN, JUST WISH I COULD HAVE SEEN THE LOOK ON HIS FACE !!!!!!!!
THE NEXT TIME I SAW HIM I REIMBURSED HIM FOR THE PAD.
SO..........IT CAN HAPPEN TO ANYONE, I KNOW ONLY TOO WELL
CIRCLEK :lol :lol

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
I definitely believe that honesty pays and it will come back to you.
You did the right thing.:angel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts