Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a not a matter if, it is when. Went for a short trip to Dairy Queen to get a Orange Julius and noticed Temp was going up. Raised hood and fan wasn't coming. Came home and ordered New Fan from Mike. 40,000 miles on OE fan. Hope it comes in time for our "Meet and Greet" here in TN. Thanks Mike.

·
Ret. Air Force
3,726 Posts
I feel your pain @SWT RYD...Same thing happened to me in 2017, although I elected to pull the original fan and with the help of another forum member, we cleaned the contacts inside the motor housing. Fingers are still crossed and fan is still chugging along...but the word "WHEN" crosses my mind, every time I come to a stop on a hot day!! :sunce::confused

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,449 Posts
Its a not a matter if, it is when. Went for a short trip to Dairy Queen to get a Orange Julius and noticed Temp was going up. Raised hood and fan wasn't coming. Came home and ordered New Fan from Mike. 40,000 miles on OE fan. Hope it comes in time for our "Meet and Greet" here in TN. Thanks Mike.
SWT RYD, I have "repaired" CruDawgs and quite a few other OEM fans, most of the problems stem from sand getting into the front of the electronics and prevents the brushes from making contact.

If you want to get back on the road while you wait for Mikes new more robust fan or keep the OEM as a spare for someone, just take it off (slides right up and out or down and out in 5 minutes) and tap it on the ground or take it apart. Taking it apart is pretty straight forward and will work the best. I have seen fans work fine for another 60k miles + just by getting the dirt out of them.

To take it apart, bend the metal tabs on the front plate so you can remove it. After that, knock or blow out the dirt and use a small screwdriver to make sure the brushes are free. Reassemble the front plate, bend back the pins, and install the fan again and see if it fixes the problem. Make sure you clean out that foam gasket in front of the fan to get all the rocks and dirt out before reinstallation. If it still fails then it is most likely a deeper problem, but by either tapping the fan or taking it apart to get the dirt out is one of the main problems is fails.

I have seen this problem mostly with the OEM fan but it is a problem with all fans.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
SWT RYD Our fan failed in the Staging line for the Daytona Laps..... we cooled it down and upon returning to the hotel, Dictator, Mike Moro, and myself changed it out in less than 5 minutes ! Lucky for Me, Dictator had some Of Mike’s fans with Him. Long Story short, We were Blessed? AMEN for Family

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,319 Posts
Just a note on repairing the OEM fan.......

If you are taking a failing fan apart to clean and re-use it, you have a reasonable probability of success.
I’ve probably taken 15 or 20 apart through the years and have observed that several have had a failure of the one ohm resistor mounted on the board inside. The failure mode of the one ohm resistor that I have seen is a purely mechanical one. The solid wire that actually carries the current to and from the resistor on the board breaks and stops the low speed operation. If repairing a fan, you should carefully inspect the integrity of the one ohm resistor.

My two cents,

Mike

·
Registered
40 Posts
Because I lost a Supra to overheating, one of the first things I did with my SSR was to take it to Mike and have the radiator support changed, the new fan installed and the frame supports installed. I had the air dam installed, but knocked it off soon after...my bad. The point is, the car has never had an overheat problem since then. I live in fairly hot country (Sacramento). I sit in traffic and all of those events which lead to heating problems. I could not be more pleased with the cooling impact of Mike's equipment. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SWT RYD, I have "repaired" CruDawgs and quite a few other OEM fans, most of the problems stem from sand getting into the front of the electronics and prevents the brushes from making contact.

If you want to get back on the road while you wait for Mikes new more robust fan or keep the OEM as a spare for someone, just take it off (slides right up and out or down and out in 5 minutes) and tap it on the ground or take it apart. Taking it apart is pretty straight forward and will work the best. I have seen fans work fine for another 60k miles + just by getting the dirt out of them.

To take it apart, bend the metal tabs on the front plate so you can remove it. After that, knock or blow out the dirt and use a small screwdriver to make sure the brushes are free. Reassemble the front plate, bend back the pins, and install the fan again and see if it fixes the problem. Make sure you clean out that foam gasket in front of the fan to get all the rocks and dirt out before reinstallation. If it still fails then it is most likely a deeper problem, but by either tapping the fan or taking it apart to get the dirt out is one of the main problems is fails.

I have seen this problem mostly with the OEM fan but it is a problem with all fans.
I'm going to take out and have a look at it.. and hopefully Mike's new will be here by next Thursday and I can install his.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts