Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to go thru a touchless laser car wash to get the dust off - the left wheels go thru a guide track (which is plenty big enough for the front and rear wheels) but somehow it gouged two places on the outboard side only - especially bad on the front.
It can be touched up with a little blending and paint - but I'll know it was there. There are no tracks for the right wheels.
I normally hand wash and was the first time I've been thru this laser wash.
I'm really embarrased to put this out to you guys and gals but hopefully it will keep one of you from making the same mistake.
There are no warnings about oversize wheels, accessories etc. at this carwash.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Are we talking about a gouge on wheel or "Sheetmetal of car and or Running Boards"?
chuck

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fantastic!!!! Sounds to me like you have a good reason to get rid of the painted wheels, and get them chromed!!!! :cool

Dave

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chuck - Just on the wheel - two pretty deep gouges on the left front wheel about 180 degrees apart where the tire meets the rim and just one real small nick on the left rear wheel.
Most people wouldn't notice them but the rest of this beast is perfect and I want to keep it like that. I can probably blend and fill the gouge with fiberglass resin and touch of the paint.
Just wanted everyone to be aware.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for your "Loss" And thanks much for the warning!!
I had a similar experince when I changed the "Rims on my C5 Corvette"

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave - I knew there had to be a good side of this! lol
Actually with the yellow paint and the black and silver satin trim there is a real good balance on the SSR so I like the painted wheels.
The 04's with body color running boards would look better with chrome wheels imho

Regards

·
Registered
705 Posts
thanks for the heads up. I actually washed mine today. It was kind of misty and some dirt had gotten on the lower half. I pulled in one of those self-serve hose places and just hosed it down. It dried as I drove. I have this car wash place that will hand wash it and use my wax Zaino for $50. I plan to have it done once a month.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Painted vs. Chrome

I agree with you White61vette. Of all the photos I've looked at (I have only seen a black SSR in person) it does seem that the brushed aluminum running boards look better with the painted wheels. Once I saw a picture of the red SSR with body colored running boards and chrome wheels at the SEMA it confirmed it for me.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts