Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been in the process of installing chrome valve covers, painted coil packs and S/E (Mikes) revised heater hoses. As you can see from pictures it really don't pop out at you, you have to look real close. To get the oil filler cap off, you have to move hose to tank out of way and unscrew cap, almost need 3 hands. But its finished and not going to change back. Plus my hands are to sore and cut up. And finally I dropped a socket and can't find it. Guess I'll have to turn the TOY over and shake it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,075 Posts
Been in the process of installing chrome valve covers, painted coil packs and S/E (Mikes) revised heater hoses. As you can see from pictures it really don't pop out at you, you have to look real close. To get the oil filler cap off, you have to move hose to tank out of way and unscrew cap, almost need 3 hands. But its finished and not going to change back. Plus my hands are to sore and cut up. And finally I dropped a socket and can't find it. Guess I'll have to turn the TOY over and shake it.
Gotta ask b/c it isn’t entirely clear to me. What isn’t worth it?

Valve covers? Coil packs? Heater hoses? All of the above?

Or tired and frustrated the socket isn’t on the garage floor?:wink2:

·
Premium Member
6,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The process of removing and reinstalling valve covers, heater hoses were in way to remove valve covers, so decided to replace while I was working in that area. And like I said very hard to get oil cap off. Just not results I was hoping for. Can't see much Chrome. The last coil pack on right side is under AC block hard to get Bolt in.

·
SSR Pit Crew
2,060 Posts
I think that's the nature of the beast. Very tight quarters. I replace the spark plugs over 2 days and believe me, my hands were very sore and scratched up. As far as the heater hoses from Mike, I took my time with it and routed them per Mike's instructions. Certainly not as bad as the plugs. Patience is a virtue when working in the R's engine compartment.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,463 Posts
I'll bet you would find that you're not alone when it comes to a lost socket or wrench under the hood somewhere. Sold an '87 Vette several years ago, and who ever bought it also got a socket along with it and they don't even know it.:frown2:

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,210 Posts
I feel your frustration with the hiding spots for stuff.... I have had a number of dropped tools not make it all the way to the floor. Not just the SSR, but several other vehicles through the years.

I’m sorry you had difficulty getting the heater hoses to fit. I confess that I did not test the fit of the hoses with the Holley valve covers you installed....... The only installation that I verified was with the OEM valve covers and filler neck.

I have been considering installing the Holley covers on my truck and will now spend some time investigating a filler neck extension similar to the OEM part. Thanks for pointing this out.

Regards,

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike nothing wrong with your engineering by the redesign the hose. I'm thinking about just coming off of the tank with a 90-degree hose and then going down and connected to a 45 and then into your hose. I think that'll work, going to try it see you thanks

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Did you use the stock height covers or the tall ones?

Rope

·
Premium Member
6,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SSRtruck, that may have worked if done when covers were off. But know there is no way to put them on if they screw on. Plus want to get rid of blackness. Want chrome.

·
Premium Member
9,382 Posts
Been there on the dropped sockets, but have always managed to find them with an extension magnet. Even bought a bendable one to get into spots the solid extension wouldn't go.

I think your biggest issue is the plastic blob on top hiding the nice looking stuff. You can fix that easily with a polished supercharger.:grin2:

I will be cleaning up the passenger's side valve cover with Mike's new hoses, which disappear nicely against the firewall instead of going over top of the valve cover, and still waiting for a new polished rad tank so I can get rid of the plastic one.

I haven't had a problem with the oil filler cap, and the tall valve covers went on easily.

Attachments

Reactions: TXNSSR

·
Registered
107 Posts
SWT RYD, have you considered going to a Fast Intake or maybe an MSD Air Force intake to get rid of the big engine cover? That would uncover the new valve covers.

Wally

1 - 13 of 13 Posts