Chevy SSR Forum banner

Noticed about running boards.

3K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  beer100 
#1 ·
I had my running boards off for a while. Last week I went to put them back on, but first I wanted to clean them up and do something about the skuffs.

While cleaning I noticed they are fabricated using the same method as milk jugs. That's right they are blow molded. A LOT thicker than the average milk jug, but never the less, blowmolded. Nothing wrong with that. It was just unexpected.

The second thing I noticed is that the silver color seems to have been in place before the weld seam was trimmed, no color on the cut edge. Usually that trimming takes place in the molding. I think that means the color was on the plastic before it was molded. I've painted polyethylene before, not much sticks to it.

Any way back to the skuffs. I was able remove the black marks no problem, but in spots (half dozen or so) the overcoat and paint was gone. Right down to the plastic. The color and over coat is so very thin. The plastic's color while not matching has low enough contrast, that it's only noticable close up.

#5 · (Edited)
Buffy,

Sorry I wasn't clear about it. Those skuffs that went through, were all the way through before I started cleaning.

Purple Haze,

The running boards are bolted directly to the frame rails with a total of six bolts each. All that's needed is a ratchet wrench and either a 5/8" or 16mm socket. All bolts can be easily reached while laying down next to the running boards. I'd say it would be best to have an extra hand available to support the free end while removing the last bolts. Otherwise you'll need to prop up the running board. There are no nuts needed. The rails are threaded to accept the bolts.

Edit: For a couple of bolts, a short extension will be needed. I'm gussing the extension I used was about 2" long.

#6 ·
TicketBait said:
Anyone know how the body colored running boards hold up. If in black does it peel or chip off with wear? And if so is it silver underneath as beer 100 mentioned?
I don't think I "exactly" said the plastic underneath was silver. It's uncolored polyethylene. Which is a translucent white when light shines through. This however is darker because the entire board is silver coated, thus no light shines through. This darkened translucent white is what I was commenting as being low contrast against the silver.

TicketBait,

Do you have color matched running boards? If so how about looking at the seam that runs around the board. Is it painted or raw (trimmed) plastic?

G
#7 ·
colored runnin boards

mine are red top, sides, bottom, and seam. I had clear heavy window film put on mine. From the black rubber to the bottom of the edge except for an inch or so at each end. also on the red metal part of the inside door panel at the top where your forearm would be laying on it from front to back. scuffs but it will clean untill you need to replace. got to be cheaper than repainting. tint man put it on when he tinted the windows. I would recomend this to anyone to do when they tint windows. they do have the moleskin on them. had the dealer do it as part of deal before I picked it up. been on almost 3months and no scratches. :thumbs

#8 ·
thanks for the info glenn & BobA

I dont have the running boards yet, in fact at first I could care less whether it had them or not,but after seeing the body colored ones I am sold on them .

Now all I have to do is get the 05 SSR. Gonna wait till April to see if GM has a more attractive offer than the Lease or 5.9%

#9 · (Edited)
Another reason to like Running Boards!

TicketBait said:
... I dont have the running boards yet, in fact at first I could care less whether it had them or not,but after seeing the body colored ones I am sold on them.
HI TicketBait,

If you have ever looked at the side of an SSR for any length of time you would be able to notice the frame very easily. It protrudes about 3 to 4 inches below the door sill. It doesn't look bad when it is new and fresh and has no mud or salt on it but over time I would think it whould show signs of wear or rust if not kept clean. So if you were to have running boards they would then fill that gap and you wouldn't be able to notice or see the frame at all.

Just to add one more reason to like running boards on your SSR.
:yesnod

#11 ·
Body color running boards are nice... but

Black_Magic said:
Has anyone had their satan silver board painted to match body color? My Black '05 came with the satan board and I want to paint them BLACK to match.
George
Hey George have you ever seen a Black SSR with painted running boards? Make sure you want to paint them first... if your wheels are not chrome then you might want to keep them the way they are to coodinate with the wheels and door handles. Just my two cents...

#12 ·
Marc NY said:
Hey George have you ever seen a Black SSR with painted running boards? Make sure you want to paint them first... if your wheels are not chrome then you might want to keep them the way they are to coodinate with the wheels and door handles. Just my two cents...

Nah, I have seen one with chrome wheels and the Black boards look better ,but if you have the silver satin wheels then the boards match ok. JMHO

#13 ·
Marc NY said:
I have Chrome Wheels, in fact I have ALL options except "COLOR MATCH". That is why I'm wanting the BLACK boards

George

#19 ·
Purple Haze said:
Where can I buy the color running boards?
There are many options:

ebay, your local dealer, gmpartsdirect.com, from a fellow fanatic.

The best price will likely be found on eBay, with some risk.
The most secure transaction with a decent price would be via gmpartsdirect.
The most convenient, but most expensive, is to call your dealer.
A trade, your silver for someone else's color would be the most unlikely to arrange.

Psssst, Before making a post in multiple threads/discussions, please make just one post and give it a day or so to draw a response.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.