Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heh, so ever since I decided to buy one of these babies my wheels have been turning. Here's what I want to do, and I would like you guys to let me know where and how I can have these done in the DC area or within reasonable driving distance

1. Replace stereo system with an all in one touchscreen for CD/MP3/XM/Nav - probably using smitty's install as a guide IF i attempt it myself.

2. Replace stock tires with Kumho runflats - quieter ride than Goodyear EMTs, a little secret I gleaned from having a Vette.

3. My super-secret interior addon, which I hope everybody likes and finds useful. ;) - this one I'll do myself, obviously

4. Two-tone paint - since I have black, I'll likely just get'er painted below the beltline. Probably Silver or some other metallic variant. (Copper? Silver-green?)

5. 4.56 gearing

6. Change shift points per Gnitecki's posting

7. I kinda want to strip out the bed carpet and wood stuff so I can use it as an actual open hauling bed more often. Can we get the smooth plastic like stock? Would a Linex be better? (I know it would not be better for moving big heavy things though, as they don't slide in and out easily on Linex)

8. Put in a storage box behind the cab (if I decide the sidesaddles take up too much space)

Anybody have any insight on this stuff?

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Stuff

Item 7:

The wood strips are velcroed in, just pull them out. Don't see why you would need to pull the 'indoor/outdoor' carpet out.

Item 6: If you are going to change shift points, you might as well get the Predator and do the rest of the stuff.

Item 3: If we find it useful, will you be selling us the parts so that it will also be easy for us? :lol

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I don't know what you plan on hauling, but you won't fit a whole lot in the bed of the SSR. You need to look up close at one with the bed cover open. After you put a tool box in you will find that the bed is only about four feet long and approx. three feet wide, and just a little over 18" tall. I can fit a 3' X 4' canvas in the bed nicely, but tall stuff is out for sure. You can load items and attach them to the open tail gate, but driving with the bed cover open is a no no. :seeya

·
Registered
162 Posts
how much of a no-no? I drove from the office home (about 8 miles) with the bed cover open since I had too tall of a load to close it... obviously not something I want to do often but it seemed to be fine...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cruzned said:
I don't know what you plan on hauling, but you won't fit a whole lot in the bed of the SSR. You need to look up close at one with the bed cover open. After you put a tool box in you will find that the bed is only about four feet long and approx. three feet wide, and just a little over 18" tall. I can fit a 3' X 4' canvas in the bed nicely, but tall stuff is out for sure. You can load items and attach them to the open tail gate, but driving with the bed cover open is a no no. :seeya
Nope, I was referring to leaving the bed cover off completely.

Hence the desire to remove the carpet as well - I know it's supposed to be I/O, but even I/O carpet retains water such that if you wanted to load up something, say, wooden, it could be damaged by the water held in the carpet - where a hard bed surface would have dried by then.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
looking4_an_ssr said:
Item 3: If we find it useful, will you be selling us the parts so that it will also be easy for us? :lol
Heh if it comes out the way I'm thinking, it won't be made of "parts" per se - but I was thinking there may be a little market to sell a few of them, may not be for everybody because I'm designing it for my own preferences. It's going to require either CNC milling or plastic forming, depending on the best materials for the piece.

Crap - I knew I forgot something in my mod list... #9 - Add WindSuppreSSR!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Dave,
Sounds to me you are referring to making cupholders since you were less than thrilled with the stock ones! Just my opinion. ;)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Calcustom said:
Dave,
Sounds to me you are referring to making cupholders since you were less than thrilled with the stock ones! Just my opinion. ;)
LOL - I may have to take you up on that, this morning my coffee looked like it was going to break the console one off, and only sits about 1" into the dash one - my travel coffee cups are about the same size and shape as a McDonald's Medium soda.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My 92 Camaro didn't have drink holders, but I got some from a boat supply, the kind that are gimbeled, called drink buoys or something like that. just screwed them to the side if the console. They don't spill my morning coffee even during extreme driving. :lol

·
I'm not cool...
2,096 Posts
I took all the fancy bed stuff out for my tools

its just a regular looking bed underneath. it wsn't painted thouroughly, but if you painted it a chip guard instead of a bed liner it wouldn't be as hard to slide on. they also make a kit to finish off the bed when you remove the lid, it covers the weatherstripping area.
see :flag

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts