Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted one of these so bad but when I saw the base price at $69,995 on GM Canada's Web site I was really mad. Then when I read the post put by another Canadian...I decided to do the math with the conversion. We are getting totally raped, so I sent them an email...here is is.

"How can GM justify the base MSRP price for the SSR to be $69,995 when if bought in the US, you would actually only pay about $55,000. $14,995 less.

I was going to get one but forget it, that price is insane. I currently own 3 Chevrolets....they may be my last unless GM starts pricing things better. The SSR is headed the same direction as the Prowler...dead in less than 5 years. (unless that is what GM wants)"

I will post the reply, if I get one.

·
Premium Member
9,217 Posts
Hey, Wylde - where are you located?

I've been beating this one to death, and getting nowhere either. You'll be lucky if you get a reply from some salaried public relations underling with the same BS I received about how GM values me as a customer, but not all situations can be resolved to the satisfaction of the consumer - blah blah blah.

What's really strange, is that the SSR is all by itself out there. Pricing on the Cadillac XLR, Hummer H2 Escalade EXT and Avalanche are all within range of US pricing - at least it wouldn't be worth going to the US for one. They're all at a 45 - 47% premius over the US, while the SSR is at a 67% premium - just doesn't add up.

Where I really get stirred up is options - Yellow is $350 US, which is about $450 Canadian. The Canadian cost on that option is $895. And the running boards? fughetaboutit!!!. The more loaded the SSR is, the worse the price discrepancy becomes. I don't know if you noticed, but the US price at $41995 includes destination charges - not included in the $69995 Canadian base price, so it's even more out of whack. With 17% taxes thrown in in BC, the discrepancy is over $20000.

Can't even blame the dealers for this one. They know the price is insane, but it's out of their control, and GM won't address it. Even if they were to adjust it now, they would have the guys who have already overpaid hopping. Their only hope to get out of this mess is for exchange rates to go back to where they were last year - they priced the SSR 67% higher to prevent shipments to the states and it came back to bite them in the ass at 30% exchange.

After I had stirred things up as much as I could with phone calls, emails, and a registered letter to the president of GM Canada, my dealer received a letter from GM,( which he let me see but would not allow me to make a copy of) making it very clear that my warranty would be blocked on a SSR out of the US.

So now I've been blackmailed into paying through the nose for an SSR, but I don't have it in writing. End result - to hell with GM - I'll be buying Powerstrokes instead of Duramaxes from now on.(three Duramaxes in the last two years) The new Mustang is starting to look pretty good as a toy instead of an SSR.

End result, GM's Revolution is turning into a weapon of mass distraction - dealers gouging retail customers in the US, and Canadians getting bent over by GM. I'm amazed at how many people are totally p-----d at GM over this.

Hopefully their PR guys monitor this forum and are seeing the negative posts.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
05 Mustang is in my sites too, hell I am even going to wait an extra year and buy a Shelby version (if done). At least I will have a 400 hp car out of it.

I have owned 23 cars in my 25 years of driving, 18 were GM products. I currently own 3 and 2 of them are 2002s. They may be my last ones unless GM fixes this gouging.

Let us keep our hopes up :)

Oh...I'm in Edmonton Alberta, I have yet to have even seen one live yet :cry

·
Premium Member
9,217 Posts
Hey, Wylde - check up on me at the Edmonton Boat Show March 11 - 14 at the Agricom - I'll be in the Supra/Moomba display, and we can chat about how much fun this has been. I'll have the name tag with Ray on it - and I'll be the old guy.

Can't believe you haven't seen a live one in Edmonton yet. There's been one sold in Kelowna, and one in Penticton. Mine (until I told the dealer I wan't going to take it) should be here Feb 1. - It's available to the next dummy with over $93000 to blow. (with taxes) There was also at least one at Shaganappi in Calgary - the original buyer let that one go as well.

The Penticton dealer delivered a black one a week ago - the owner took it into the mountains, and absolutely sandblasted the front surface of the rear fenders - not my idea of a mud bogger, but to each his own.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys, check out my new thread and if you want sign on.

Al

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I go that I definately will look you up.

I hope that the majority of people say NO to the rediculous price tag and dealers pay loads of interest because the thing won't sell. Maybe that will teach them.

I am hoping that finally there will be one at the Edmonton Motor Show at the end of Feb. You say Shagannapi in Calgary has one...next time I am in Calgary I should go see if they still have it.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally get to see one live!

There is a Yellow one at a local dealer, saw it through the window since they were closed. Apparently the price for it is less than $70k, someone told me it was priced at $54k. I'll check tomorrow. If it's true, there will be one in my driveway in a year.

·
Premium Member
9,217 Posts
Hey, Wylde - sounds like your source is way off. Typical sell for a loaded SSR is $78900 - 79400. If it's anywhere near what you say, the dealer is playing Santa - let me know - I'd own in tomorrow.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll let you all know tomorrow the results. I have a feeling the source is wrong as well.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Guys!

There have been many available in Calgary. The one I had on order at Shaganappi for 3 years on went to another buyer when I declined it because of price. It was sold at MSRP without any mark up. They have had 2 more yellow ones and have had a red one in the showroom for a couple months now. Other dealers have also sold what they had so the SSR will not be a rare sight in Calgary. I did get a chance to look at the one I declined and was not all that impressed with it. I suspect the price had a bearing on my impression of the truck since I could get another Vette for less money these days.

My plan is to wait another year or so and pick one up from the US used. The SH*T will hit the fan for GM canada when the SSRs sold here depreciat by half in the first year. The market for these things is too small to have such a significant difference in price between Canada and the US.

Has anyone lloked at a lease? What residual value are they quoting on these things after 3 years?

Bob

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well saw it live...looks great but the price is the biggest turn off. It's priced at $78k and it's already sold. SN# 3202 (2003 model). Apparently there are 2 more here in Edmonton all Yellow and pretty well the same price range and suspected to all be sold. The sales guy told me likely when the 2004s start coming in they will likely sell them less than MSRP because almost everyone who has come in, refused that price tag. He also told me he would likely be might able to knock off $5k off MSRP on a 2004. He told me he get me into a new Vette convertible for cheaper and everyone knows that so they expect it to be a very hard seller. HA HA HA...way to go GM...take that to the bank you crooks!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Even though it's under powered and over weight, I had my heart set on a Yellow SSR. I saw one at GSL in Calgary, got the MSRP, and did my due diligence on the US vs. Canadian pricing. Since I couldn't believe the result, I contacted GM Canada. All I got was a smarmy phone call from a female PR flack focused on ensuring that I understood their cancelled warranty policy on US imports.

GM Canada got me anyway, since I found a loaded leftover 2003 Corvette convertible at another dealer, and bought it instead.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good for you Billf6531! Hope you love your Vette as much as I love mine (2000). Look me up when the weather gets better and we can get together.

I bought my Escalade EXT from GSL and found them good to deal with but with something as new as the SSR it will take a few more months untill they are able to discount the SSR. I spoke to my salesman when the Cadillac SRX first came out (wife is looking for a new ride) and he suggested we hold off for a while. We had a long discussion about Canadian vs US pricing and until the dealers are hurt by high prices and an oversupply of inventory GM won't do much to change the existing prices. It will be interesting to see whether they adjust the price on the 2004 SSR.

·
Premium Member
9,217 Posts
My local dealer is finally getting his first SSR next week - he kept the order in place after I cancelled. I guess I'll get visiting rights till it's sold. Finally get so see a red one live - can't believe how many yellow ones are around. Seems everybody ordered it because no one else would have it.??? It's very noticeable on EBay - majority are yellow- more than black and red combined at times.

The one coming is an 04, and when we checked the latest info on his computer order system for 04s, they are still showing MSRP as 69995 plus freight, and yellow at $895, almost double the 350 US cost at current exchange..

GM can't win on this one - either p--s off their existing owners by lowering the price, or try to flog it at a stupid price, and p--s off potential buyers. That's pretty much what I had in my registered letter to the President of GM Canada last fall before any were delivered - all I got out of that was a bland bunch of gobbledygook from some PR lady who knew squat about what was happening.
I guess even that doesn't rate him getting involved. I suspect they priced it high to eliminated the flow going back to the US, but got trapped by the lowering exchange rates.

The most fun now is going into dealers, looking at the SSR, and chatting about how out to lunch the price is - can't believe how many sales people are totally clueless about the SSR or exchange rates. Still getting "it's really rare, only 500 a year built" - then you show them a serial number in the 3000 range. Even the fact that there's a ton of them on EBay seems a surprise to them.

My favorite was the saleslady in Vancouver who told me they were taking names with deposits, and would hold a lottery as each one came in because they were so rare.

I hate being blackmailed, so I'm with BMBLBEE - I'll buy used in the US.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts