Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The October SSR of the Month contest is live. Please read carefully below.

THIS MONTH'S THEME:
Its October. Lets see some Fall foliage, something Halloween or something related to the season.

• The last week of each month, a poll will be added to the thread with all the entries and you will have 7 days (or 5, depending on how quick I am to get the poll up and how well the thread is moving) to cast your vote.
  • You must own the submitted ride.
  • I would strongly suggest submitting pics with no people in it (dogs are fine) or at the least, crop them out of it.
  • Feel free to give a little backstory on your ride. Whether that be the modifications it has, how you came to own it, or just a fun story. Don't be afraid to share your ride's story.
  • If you have won in a previous month, you can no longer enter for the rest of the year. However, if you have a second car that meets the above criteria, you can enter that.
The winner at the end of the month will win a free 1 Year Premium Membership for the forum and a custom ROTM badge on their profile. If the winner is already a premium member, their subscription will be extended an additional year.

Winners will be featured on the sites gallery, found here.

Congrats to September's SSR of the Month winners, @SWT RYD & @OhioBob!

Wheel Cloud Tire Sky Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
'05 Aqua Blur 6-spd
849 Posts
I was driving by an apple stand in Maryland when I stopped to take a picture in front of this mural. It turned out the mural wasn't a mural at all, but the real deal of the stand. One of the few places where we could buy Courtland apples.

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Plant

Wheel Tire Plant Sky Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Land vehicle

2005 Aqua Blur 6-speed with 104,000+ miles, Built on January 24, 2005, purchased in June 2019. We've added about 18,000 miles of PermaGrins and two International Rallies.

·
Premium Member
May 2017 ROTM 2005 Redline Red .
6,594 Posts
I like the themed pictures, however, I miss the descriptions when the owners told us about their trucks.
How they got them, improvements, changes they have made, etc.

·
Registered
'05 Aqua Blur 6-spd
849 Posts
I like the themed pictures, however, I miss the descriptions when the owners told us about their trucks.
How they got them, improvements, changes they have made, etc.
In my case, there isn't to much write about. We had owned a '75 Corvette convertible, L82 4-speed with factory A/C, for 16 years. I enjoyed driving it (except in the rain when it leaked across the top of the windshield), but it wasn't a car for extended road trips and no cruise control, not to mention it became difficult to get out (I think that was a driver problem), so we sold it (that's a story too, wanna hear it?). Then what to replace it with?

I wanted something unique, a convertible, and that I could get out of, not to mention luggage room. There's only one vehicle in all of the automotive world that meets those requirements. The SSR.

We were walking in DC one evening near Capitol Hill on our way to a lecture at the Hillsdale College Kirby Center and passed a black SSR. I sez to Janet (who had seen pictures and didn't like 'em), Whaddaya think of that? To which she said, to my surprise, "I like it." That's all it took. Permission granted.

I started looking on various web sites. I found one on the SSRFanatics web site, located in Tampa. The owner had owned it for three months, but he said his wife wanted a Corvette (turned out he wanted the Corvette). But in the meantime he'd fixed/repaired a bunch of basic things - four new tires, straightened one of the chrome wheels, replaced the windshield and wiper blades and arms, added Bluetooth to the original radio, etc. So based on a telephone conversation and a "feeling," I agreed to buy it, sight unseen. How dumb is that? Turns out not so dumb. We're the seventh owners and the first to register it in a state that requires a front license plate.

He suggested we fly to Tampa and drive it home rather than shipping it. A great idea since we had family and friends in Florida. After we picked it up in Riverside and returned the rental car, we drove to Clearwater for our first training session on how to care for and love an SSR from the resident guru, @Dicktator , and Kathy.

After that we drove, learning how to live with an SSR, to Venice, Ft. Myers, Orlando, Ocala, and Hernando before heading for Maryland. Along the way we made friends with Chevy dealers in Venice and Ocala as the A/C and cruise weren't working as they needed to in June in Florida and for a long trip. Couldn't find the cruise control clutch switch in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, not until Rocky Mount, NC. I (how about me) installed it and after that all was and has been good.

The top is down most of the time, even on short errands to the grocery store. But when it returns home to the garage, the top goes up. The only problem I've had with the top was once when it wouldn't go up. I discovered the problem to be when closing the top one needs to push the toggle that has the closed top image, not the one with no top. It's worked perfectly ever since.

It's stock with only the "enhancements" being to wheels that de-emphasized the chrome center hub and a few other minor "tuning"/convenience adjustments from Simple Engineering (fender cover, new shocks, rear lowering springs, ABS heat shield, more to come). Also a Pioneer radio with Android Auto/Apple Car Play and a backup camera, and a sticker from @QWKSSR with the Chevrolet SSR emblem that dresses up the steering hub just the right amount (sometimes it's the little things that matter). And some repairs that would be expected with a now 17-year old vehicle with over 104,000 miles.

That's pretty much the story, not much to tell. So that's why I didn't think to include it. (Wanna hear about selling the Corvette? Okay, okay, that's another story for another time. ;) )

·
Registered
'05 Aqua Blur 6-spd
849 Posts
I forget to mention. Guess what was parked in the seller's driveway when we picked the SSR. Yep, sure 'nuff, a 2017 RED Corvette convertible. :cool:

You can see its reflection in the SSR. :rolleyes:
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,498 Posts
Ilsa is grinning at the speed limit sign!
(for Shakatak) Ilsa came to me in 2008. She was my dream truck and it's only become better since. After blowing a piston on a track day, her engine was rebuilt with forged parts as well as better cam and heads. Since then, she's had upgraded suspension, cooling, headers and exhaust, and a 2.3; supercharger. She runs a lot of autocross and will hopefully get back into strip work next summer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts