Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
SSR Overseas, Ireland,
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Had SSR out for run today, been parked for a few months, and noticed that the lights DIC and odometer had gone blank, as in no display. They came back on again. When I started all was ok, and then they stopped, then ok again.
Is it a loose connection or more serious issue ?

Any advice appreciated

Richard
Ireland SSR

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,347 Posts
Could you tell if the dash lights went out a well? It could be a bad wire at the headlight switch unit. I have seen that once. Maybe a bad dimmer if you run the dash dimmed all the time. Just guessing though.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,001 Posts
Hi
Had SSR out for run today, been parked for a few months, and noticed that the lights DIC and odometer had gone blank, as in no display. They came back on again. When I started all was ok, and then they stopped, then ok again.
Is it a loose connection or more serious issue ?

Any advice appreciated

Richard
Ireland SSR
Richard,

Have a look at the instrument cluster ground in the engine compartment. It is a stud that points downward, just inboard and above the power brake unit. An odd place for an instrument panel ground, but GM had their reason.... Whatever it was. I have seen this ground loose on a couple of SSRs through the years and my friend at the dealership tells me it was a common problem in the early years.

Regards,

Mike

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,509 Posts
Richard,

Have a look at the instrument cluster ground in the engine compartment. It is a stud that points downward, just inboard and above the power brake unit. An odd place for an instrument panel ground, but GM had their reason.... Whatever it was. I have seen this ground loose on a couple of SSRs through the years and my friend at the dealership tells me it was a common problem in the early years.

Regards,

Mike
Pictures of Cluster Ground.

It is also on my SSR How to Library.

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

Dicktator

Attachments

·
SSR Overseas, Ireland,
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bluestreak
I think the dash lights went out also.
Now I have noticed also that the cruise control has not worked, again with our roads over here, we don't have much in motorway ( Freeways ). This has been gone with a few years, but does not bother me really. just mentioning in case it has it could have something to do with the display fault too.

Thanks for advice
Richard

·
SSR Overseas, Ireland,
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike & Dick

Thanks for that tip. I did check and the connection for ground / Earth and it was tight. I opened it up and the contacts surfaces were clean, I did give them a quick rub with sandpaper while it was apart anyway and put back together again.
I don't think it was the ground. But thanks for advice anyway.

Richard

1 - 6 of 6 Posts