Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they were rated for 10 years. But just wondering is the top a weak link on these trucks. I'm gonna get mine working right and fix everything that it needs. Or,do most people have very little, to no trouble with their tops. just wondering what I have in store for me. Don't get me wrong I love my SSR. and I'm a very new owner, But I guess you know that from all my post lately. Thanks Joe

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,386 Posts
The design criteria was 10 years of 2 open and close cycles per day. That is 365 X 10 X 2 = 14,600 opens and 14600 closes before it had issues. We are getting to that point in many of the trucks since they are 12 to 14 years old but were probably not operated twice per day every day. The issues will be the hydraulic cylinders and the pneumatic booster cylinders, which can be rebuilt, the pump and reservoir and the hoses. Some have had issues early due to unforeseen situations but basically it is just expected maintenance.

Reactions: EricB

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
04 Issue

Found that my 04 was equipped with 03 hinges. These open differently than the 05 and 06, Previous owner was having trouble and someone tried making adjustments, but never knew that the hinges were bent / defective. Replaced with a NEW set of 05 hinges and all was well. So the answer to your question from me is I had a lot of trouble, with roof storage cover sticking on both open and closing, once got stuck open on one side had to drive home like that, very embarrassing. :surprise: Didn't drop the top till the problem was found to be the defective hinges. Thanks to Arizona Mike and Jack Pruitt the top was fixed.:grin2:

Relax, any trouble you may have can be fixed.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, just hoping to get mine figured out. Have owned mine a week now. and hadn't been able to put the top down yet.

·
My First Permagrin !
567 Posts
Sorry you can’t go topless yet . The only thing I have had to do is lube all the hinges, and I changed the assist cylinders from mike in AZ . I’m sure others on this site will help assist you to get your top working. Good luck . Dave

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes, getting a lot of help on here so far.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,062 Posts
Only guessing.....

I seriously doubt that 1% of the SSR owners have top issues in any given year. That would be 240 top issues per year.

We know what the system reliability design criteria was, but that was 18 years ago. There is no data on reliability of any particular system on the SSR. This forum has between 4 and 8% of the fleet as members and deals with solving issues on a regular basis, but nobody keeps metrics on systems. ALL of what you will get here is anecdotal data. No metrics.

What I will tell you is that the cooling system has a much higher probability of giving you an issue than the roof system.

Mike

·
Daily Driver
8,940 Posts
No trouble at all, daily driver and for short low speed trips top down above 40 degrees and dry. I did replace the pneumatic cylinders at 10 years, to take a little load off the hydraulics as a precaution.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, cool. feel a lot better about it. I live in a small town, only one other around. Have talked to him on computer, hadn't got a chance to check his out yet. His is Yellow.

·
Premium Member
5,856 Posts
I've heard that there is more problems with Hyd. system that isn't used than is. IE a car sitting in storage or on a car lot for a long time. Being a new owner drive it and enjoy the PERMAGRIN.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can say of the two I’m around I’ve had no top issues. I did replace the gasket but that was only because it was still available from GM and I knew was going to be an issue eventually. In my 30+ years in working on cars I’d say most top repairs are relatively simple but be aware of who you have work on it because they can be very difficult if the wrong hands get in there.

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
972 Posts
Joe,
When I purchased my SSR (from a Hyundai dealership) the top was "working" but only because the dealership added hydraulic fluid to the reservoir just before I showed up for a test drive. By the time I got the SSR home, the top quit working and my storage compartment had a nice amount of fluid in the drain-wells (and left a nice stain on my paver driveway). Main lift cylinders were leaking but the dealership didn't divulge that information ... AND they refilled the system with the wrong hydraulic fluid. Six months later I went to my first SSR Tech Day in Longwood, FL, and met a bunch of great folks, including Dicktator and Chuckster, from whom I learned quite a bit about the SSR and I became proficient at removing/installing the hydraulic actuators that power the top.

I sent my leaking actuators to Cabriolet Hydraulics in Sarasota, FL. They repaired and returned them to me within 5 working days. Since reinstallation of the actuators in July 2016, my top has worked flawlessly and I cycle the top UP/DOWN probably 4-5 times a day on my daily driver SSR.

Yours will be working soon!
Cheers, Carl

·
Registered
41 Posts
Top trouble

I suspect others will chime in on this and may suggest a "fix."
Don't know if my top problem is peculiar, or if others have (had) the same issue.
When I actuate the top down switch, the first tonneau door begins to lift up and raises about 1-2" in the air and then "times out." However, if I release the brake pedal, as well as the actuater switch while the lift is occurring, and before the "time out", the tonneau door will "pop" up with a thunk. Immediately, I then depress the brake pedal, actuate the top down switch a second time (before the tonneau door settles back to its mooring) and the top will complete its opening cycle with no further ado. Its been acting like this for several years.
I recall reading a post on this forum years ago (browsed as a non-member) when someone may have had a similar problem, and he indicated that when the tonneau door began its upward ascent, he (or likely his passenger) gave the tonneau door "a wee tug" and the top then completed its opening cycle. I used to have my passenger perform the "wee tug" before I learned the trick explained above.
Is there any "fix" for what I've described? :purple:

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,370 Posts
ok, cool. feel a lot better about it. I live in a small town, only one other around. Have talked to him on computer, hadn't got a chance to check his out yet. His is Yellow.
Joe, Just curious If the guy is a member here? It would really be good if you could find a member within a reasonable driving distance to help when you needed it.

Nick

·
Daily Driver
8,940 Posts
Don't know if my top problem is peculiar, or if others have (had) the same issue.
When I actuate the top down switch, the first tonneau door begins to lift up and raises about 1-2" in the air and then "times out." However, if I release the brake pedal, as well as the actuater switch while the lift is occurring, and before the "time out", the tonneau door will "pop" up with a thunk. Immediately, I then depress the brake pedal, actuate the top down switch a second time (before the tonneau door settles back to its mooring) and the top will complete its opening cycle with no further ado. Its been acting like this for several years.
I recall reading a post on this forum years ago (browsed as a non-member) when someone may have had a similar problem, and he indicated that when the tonneau door began its upward ascent, he (or likely his passenger) gave the tonneau door "a wee tug" and the top then completed its opening cycle. I used to have my passenger perform the "wee tug" before I learned the trick explained above.
If your VIN is before 4B108184 if could be the tonneau hinges.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Top use

I use the "release the actuator switch" as written by Ronglo and don't worry about it.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,386 Posts
Look through Dicktator's One Drive for roof time out. I am sure this is just an adjustment and it should be described there

·
Registered
41 Posts
Top trouble

As stated by xoxoxoBruce, my VIN is prior to the one he mentioned, so I may have a hinge adjustment issue. Thanks to Bluestreak for the link to Dicktators One Drive site.
I've looked in the One Drive site and did not see anything related to tonneau hinge adjustment. Perhaps I've overlooked it and am wondering if there is a specific title for same?
BTW, Dicktators One Drive site is amazing!!! :purple:

·
Registered
57 Posts
We got our R in April and had no roof issues, but were encouraged by a local ex Fanatic to replace the two main roof struts as preventive maintenance. He said they would definitely eventually fail. We got the replacements from Mike in AZ. I did them myself, very simple, thanks to his excellent printed instructions and the installation tool he provided. 45 minutes and done. Still works great / fingers crossed every day.

·
Daily Driver
8,940 Posts
As stated by xoxoxoBruce, my VIN is prior to the one he mentioned, so I may have a hinge adjustment issue. Thanks to Bluestreak for the link to Dicktators One Drive site.
I've looked in the One Drive site and did not see anything related to tonneau hinge adjustment. Perhaps I've overlooked it and am wondering if there is a specific title for same?
BTW, Dicktators One Drive site is amazing!!! :purple:
I think you'll find if you have the early hinges it's not a matter of an adjustment, they must be replaced with the later style hinges to permanently stop the aggravation.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts