Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for Dictators post on how to reset the AC to stop the clicking noice in the center of my dash. Thanks for the help!!!

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,259 Posts
I am looking for Dictators post on how to reset the AC to stop the clicking noice in the center of my dash. Thanks for the help!!!
Pam,

If you go check your email, you will find that I forwarded that procedure to you about 10 minutes ago. It is not a post, it is a PDF of a PowerPoint presentation.

Regards,

Mike

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,410 Posts
I am pretty sure that you can reset/calibrate the AC system all day long but that clicking noise is not going to go away. Normally, the root cause is a broken plastic tooth on one of the gears of the AC actuator doors. The actuators are $40 or so, depending on which one is bad, labor at the dealer is $2000+. I and a handful of people have swapped them out before but it is not easy, there are quite a few threads on here for it.

Good luck, but I have never ever heard of the cal procedure correcting the dreaded clicking noise.

Also note, you can simply disconnect power to the truck and the actuators will self calibrate on the initial power up as well.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,259 Posts
I am pretty sure that you can reset/calibrate the AC system all day long but that clicking noise is not going to go away. Normally, the root cause is a broken plastic tooth on one of the gears of the AC actuator doors. The actuators are $40 or so, depending on which one is bad, labor at the dealer is $2000+. I and a handful of people have swapped them out before but it is not easy, there are quite a few threads on here for it.

Good luck, but I have never ever heard of the cal procedure correcting the dreaded clicking noise.

Also note, you can simply disconnect power to the truck and the actuators will self calibrate on the initial power up as well.
You are right on target, Mike. I doubt that calibration will fix the problem, but it is worth a shot in this case....... I talked with Pam for a while yesterday and it sounds like the problem is with the temperature door between the evaporator core and the heater core. That is the actuator that comes into the AC suitcase from the top, in the center of the dash.

Regards,

Mike

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,410 Posts
You are right on target, Mike. I doubt that calibration will fix the problem, but it is worth a shot in this case....... I talked with Pam for a while yesterday and it sounds like the problem is with the temperature door between the evaporator core and the heater core. That is the actuator that comes into the AC suitcase from the top, in the center of the dash.

Regards,

Mike
Well, if it is the center motor it is a breeze to change out. It is the easiest of all three and only takes a few minutes.

·
Dr Who
649 Posts
FYI...I know that there are mechanical reasons for the ticking and in my case, I bought a new fan and went to the trouble to replace it. Only to discover that leaves had gotten into the fan via one of the air intakes below the windshield. The leaves were causing the clicking like a baseball card on the spokes of a bicycle wheel. Before you go to the effort of working one of the suspected mechanical issues, I would suggest pulling the cover off the outside vents and either a VAC hose down the air inlet or some high-pressure air. Just in case something is in the fan causing a clicking noise. May not make a difference, but then again it could be a quick and easy fix for a clicking noise.

:nerd:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts