Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:mad ..:mad ..I just checked the oil on the SSr and it was already a 1/2 quart short this worries me. Was it under filled at the plant? Im going to have to watch this. There are many things about cars that I will tolerate but Wonkey Engines isn't one of them. God help the Chevy Zone office rep. in charge of my Dealership if I have an "oil burner" AGAIN!. This same thing happened on a 2001 Vette Vert I had, I honestly dont know where the oil went in that thing but it drank a quart in 1500 miles. After the SECOND engine removal and re build it stopped using oil so no matter what Chevy says its NOT normal for such usage. Lets just hope for Chevys sake it was under filled.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
oil

I am also 1/2 quart low since 600 miles and still at 1700 miles. We are smelling burning oil // exhaust manifold? also have burning clutch smell at times. OK Ok easy on me now...... but the oil level is remaining the same as time goes on.

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fourhounds said:
I am also 1/2 quart low since 600 miles and still at 1700 miles. We are smelling burning oil // exhaust manifold? also have burning clutch smell at times. OK Ok easy on me now...... but the oil level is remaining the same as time goes on.

Oy Vey....:banghead

·
Registered
483 Posts
I woke up half a qt low myself this morning:skep

·
Registered
483 Posts
Please, make that all the way "in"...:lol

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Ok now I've got to check and keep an eye on my oil. I'm going to check my oil in the next day or two to see if I'm low. I sure hope not.

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dougnc said:
Mines been using a quart every 1000 miles since day one. It's at 6500 now.
Holy Schit thats just not right...:nono I'll bet I have an oil burner too.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Ricochet said:
Holy Schit thats just not right...:nono I'll bet I have an oil burner too.
Dealer says that's normal for a Chevy. I"ve never owned a GM product do I pretty much have to believe him.

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Its not at all. They said my oil eating 2001 Corvette was normal using 1 quart in 1500 miles. If it was so normal then why after the engine was pulled and overhauled and re rung did it stop using oil? The Chevrolet Zone Office would try to convince you a wheel falling off was normal if they could to avoid additional warranty costs to them. Normally a "modern" car or truck should not use more than 1 quart in 3000 miles and I would even consider that to be excessive. All that oil is going somewhere in the converter all over the plugs etc. Sooner or later that oil is going to cause all sorts of damage and sensor failures.

FYI,..Another thing to consider However. The LS1 and LS2 Engines hold about 3/4 of a quart of oil in the upper engine after shut down. ALWAYS let the car sit for at least 2 hours on a level surface to get an ACCURATE dip stick reading. The car can look short hot, but after sitting will be right on or near the full mark.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ricochet said:
All that oil is going somewhere in the converter all over the plugs etc. Sooner or later that oil is going to cause all sorts of damage and sensor failures.
The oil in the vette gets lost in two primary ways, which I'd bet impact the SSR as well. One, it gets by the rings, particularly under high rpm, low load conditions, and then into the combustion chamber and out the exhaust. Two, the vent line on the passenger side valve cover sucks oil mist into the intake as does the PCV system. From there, it again goes through the pistons and out the exhaust.

Did you ever take the air bridge off on your vette and look in it? I did and was not happy to see how much oil was in there from those last two sources.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
oil usage

added a half a quart before first oil change,haven't had to add any since and i'm at 9000 miles and run the girl hard when i can.changing the oil every 3000 only because i work at a chevy dealer and spend alot of time in stop and go traffic.yes honolulu has as bad of a traffic problem as any city on the mainland but i don't have to put it up for winter and give the top motors a good work out to keep them in shape,lol

·
Registered
740 Posts
SS My R said:
Ok now I've got to check and keep an eye on my oil. I'm going to check my oil in the neck day or two to see if I'm low. I sure hope not.
Just make sure you check it every 500 miles or so. That was my mistake. I'm used to beemers, which don't burn oil like Chevy's do. So when I checked it at 3000 miles it was 3 quarts low. :(

·
Registered
217 Posts
When the LS 1 came out they had oil problems on most of them, so maybe the LS2 is following suit. I think they ended up replacing the rings, changing what they were made up of. Not sure but I have a 2004 did not break it in right ran it hard WOT right from the start and I do no use any oil between 3000 miles and use amsoil 5W-30 and am going to changwe to 0W-30 after 6000 miles or after winter.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Maybe a good break in is in order?

BigAlkin said:
When the LS 1 came out they had oil problems on most of them, so maybe the LS2 is following suit. I think they ended up replacing the rings, changing what they were made up of. Not sure but I have a 2004 did not break it in right ran it hard WOT right from the start and I do no use any oil between 3000 miles and use amsoil 5W-30 and am going to changwe to 0W-30 after 6000 miles or after winter.

I wonder if oil weight would help? Going to a 10-30 vs. 5-30?? (GM will say use only 5-30 but 10-30 can be used as well. Especially in hot climates) -Yes the LS1 was well known (or as GM would say "normal" ) to consume 1 qrt. every 1500. I have a LS2 that now has about 5100 miles. I burn about 1/2 qrt per 1000. But I wonder how this will improve once broke in? I'm thinking it will get better like my 4.8 liter did once it broke in around 14,000 miles. Now it needs 1 qrt. about 2500-3000 miles.

·
Registered
192 Posts
kk7ac said:
I wonder if oil weight would help? Going to a 10-30 vs. 5-30?? (GM will say use only 5-30 but 10-30 can be used as well. Especially in hot climates) -Yes the LS1 was well known (or as GM would say "normal" ) to consume 1 qrt. every 1500. I have a LS2 that now has about 5100 miles. I burn about 1/2 qrt per 1000. But I wonder how this will improve once broke in? I'm thinking it will get better like my 4.8 liter did once it broke in around 14,000 miles. Now it needs 1 qrt. about 2500-3000 miles.
I've also read that running a higher viscosity oil will help reduce consumption. However, switching from 5w30 to 10w30 doesn't necessarily buy you higher viscosity. At 212F, both will be in the 30 weight band. Where in the band varies by oil manufacturer. And how long it stays in band may play a roll. Cheaper synthetics will shear low out of band fairly quickly.

If you look at the viscosity shear results starting on page 9 of this motorcycle oil comparison, you can see how fast some of the more popular synthetics shear low out of grade. On the bright side for all you Mobil 1 fans, Mobil 1 stayed in band well.
AMSOIL Motorcycle Oil “White Paper” (1 MB pdf file)

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Went to the garage and checked my oil and it was fine. The oil was up to the third and highest dot within the crossed-hatched area. I presently have about 408 miles on an 06. Check your manuals to make sure you understand where the oil low mark is.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts