Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I AM ABOUT TO CHANGE MY OIL AND FILTER FOR THE FIRST TIME ON MY NEW 05 6LITRE SLINGSHOT YELLOW SSR @500 MILES , CAST INTO THE OIL PAN NEXT TO THE DRAIN IT SAYS :FOR PROPER OIL CHANGE PROCEDURE SEE SERVICE MANUAL: I TRIED TO PURCHASE A SERVICE MANUAL BUT THEY SAID IT WAS NOT AVALABLE UNTIL JUNE. ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE HELPFUL ! :flag :flag

·
Registered
178 Posts
oil change

not sure about the 05 but on the 04 all you need is a 13mm wrench and a small oil filter wrench. that is for the 5.3 liter vortek engine. jack the vehicle and properly support with stands or blocks. remove oil plug and drain oil into a receptacle so as not to pollute the ground. replace drain plug and tighten. remove oil filter with wrench and drain into receptacle. on the 04 model it drops straight down behind the oil pan plug. replace with new filter being sure to lubricate the seal on the filter with clean oil. snug filter down then tighten 3/4 turn to 1 and 1/4 turn max. with oil filter wrench. remove oil filler cap on top of engine and fill with oil. funnel comes in handy to minimize spills. again i'm not sure about 05 model, but the 04 5.3 liter uses 6 quarts sae 5w30. fill all but one qt and start engine to fill oil filter. 30 seconds running should suffice. then add last qt. of oil. hope this helps.

comley 04 redlinered #3703 :flag

·
Registered
102 Posts
slingshotsteve said:
I AM ABOUT TO CHANGE MY OIL AND FILTER FOR THE FIRST TIME ON MY NEW 05 6LITRE SLINGSHOT YELLOW SSR @500 MILES , CAST INTO THE OIL PAN NEXT TO THE DRAIN IT SAYS :FOR PROPER OIL CHANGE PROCEDURE SEE SERVICE MANUAL: I TRIED TO PURCHASE A SERVICE MANUAL BUT THEY SAID IT WAS NOT AVALABLE UNTIL JUNE. ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE HELPFUL ! :flag :flag
I happen to have a new 04 but I had a C5 with the LS1 too. I think your only concern is the LS2 MUST use Mobil 1 or consider your warranty out the window. The only thing I'd add to what was already said is on every vehicle I change the oil on I fill the new filter up with oil so I don't subject the engine to 10-30 sec of running with no oil going anywhere besides filling the new filter. A good magnetic drail plug is very cheap insurance which helps keep all the metal particles stuck to the drain plug between changes rather than circulating around in the engine. They are only about $15.00.

·
Registered
480 Posts
What's the purpose of changing your oil and filter when you only have 500 miles on your vehicle. I also have an 05 and was planning on doing that at 3000 miles. The synthetic product does a better job and lasts longer.

Sarasota Joe

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Some people like to change the motor oil earley to help get rid of the break in particles.

I only use mobile 1 synthetic and will be doing an oil change here very soon. You can just take it down to the chevy dealer and they can do it. I prefer this way so I have a record kept by them instead of me...

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Boosted said:
I only use mobile 1 synthetic and will be doing an oil change here very soon. You can just take it down to the chevy dealer and they can do it. I prefer this way so I have a record kept by them instead of me...
:agree Boosted, I agree with you. I used to do all of my oil changes and most of my maintenance on all of my other Chevies, but on this I've decided that Walsh Chevrolet will be doing ALL the service on it. That way in case of a problem, no question of maintenance records.

Does it cost a little more? Absolutley! But they constantly search for TSB for me or look for problems that I may not even know about.

A few more $$$ = Piece of mind.

·
Registered
178 Posts
oil changes

if you join the chevrolet owners web site @ www.chevrolet.com, you can keep records there that will be available to your maintenance people. also chevy goodwrench techs use this site when they do maintenance on your vehicle. they have made entries on my personal maintenance records that i keep on the website. i can use this to keep track of how much i spend on maintenance as well.
as far as the type of oil, i use castrol syntec, which is just as good as mobil 1. on filling your oil filter with oil beforehand, the ssr is not too bad as the filter goes on straight up. on the 2001 ford f150 i had previously, this was impractical because of the difficulty in accessing the oil filter. :cool

comley redline red 04 #3703

1 - 8 of 8 Posts