Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
High Plains Roadster
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I change the oil in my R and put in a new filter using the recommended Mobil 1.

In a year, I put circa 5k miles on it.

It has been said that the oil should be changed once a year regardless of miles.

Is that a good habit or overkill?

What do you think?

·
Slingshot Rules!
61,412 Posts
The Doophus has been receiving a Full Service (Oil, Filter, Alignment, Brake and Cooling Check, etc) at the local Chevy Dealer once a year regardless of mileage from Day One.

Also a new set of General Grabbers UHPs every six years.

Some things in life are just Not Worth Compromising and/or The Risk.

! :surprise: ! :cheers ! :surprise: ! :cheers ! :surprise: !

·
BLU SSR
1,005 Posts
IMHO, Not overkill. Every year regardless of miles is a good practice and 5000 on Mobil 1 is not excessive. Changing your oil sooner rather than later is always a good practice and is the cheapest insurance on your motor you could buy.:grin2:

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I change mine once a year even if it has not hit the mileage mark to change it. Watch for it to go on sale and always stock filters so when I am ready do it at my convenience. I will usually do one vehicle per weekend till I have them all done. Harder thing is trying to catch oil on sale to save a little on it and filters.

·
Premium Member
6,763 Posts
can you use other brands of oil i don't think i can buy mobil 1
I'm sure there SSR owners out there, that use other brands, other than Mobil 1. I think you'll be just fine, as long as it is 5W30 Full Synthetic. I'm one of those "nuts" that believes 5W30 Full Synthetic OIL is OIL, regardless of the Brand ... Mobil, Shell, Kendall or whatever !!! OIL ... as SSReplay says "Cheapest Insurance you can buy" :smile2: :smile2: :smile2:

·
Premium Member
3,928 Posts
Wonder if Jay Leno or any other large collector has the oil changed in all their vehicles if they aren't driven. Just curious.

·
High Plains Roadster
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice. My year is coming up very soon.

Doofuss brought up the tires and I am glad he did.

According to Carfax, the previous owner of my R had the tires replaced after 2 years when it had less than 20k miles. They were replaced with the stock tires that were still available. Not sure why this was considered necessary. There has been about 25k put on these and there is plenty of tread. However, these were put on in November 2006, eleven and a half years ago.

Something tells me I should have one or two of them unmounted and checked.

The miles I drive are mostly highway and mostly at 70 - for Wyoming, that's poking along. The rest is often on rough, gravel roads.

Since the original Eagles are no longer available, what should I try to replace them with?

I assume I should keep the exact same size.

Since my plan is to drive to my first SSR Rally in Branson from Cheyenne, it will be a stretch.

·
BlueStreak
26,585 Posts
I go by the Driver Information Center and change oil when convenient below 30% life left. That might be once a year but usually more often than that.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
I'm sure there SSR owners out there, that use other brands, other than Mobil 1. I think you'll be just fine, as long as it is 5W30 Full Synthetic. I'm one of those "nuts" that believes 5W30 Full Synthetic OIL is OIL, regardless of the Brand ... Mobil, Shell, Kendall or whatever !!! OIL ... as SSReplay says "Cheapest Insurance you can buy" :smile2: :smile2: :smile2:
Right On!
All Full Synthetics Base Oils are made the same. The difference is the additives and $$$$ spent on Marketing.
For the type of driving we do with our SSRs there is NO advantage of any Full Synthetic Oil over another other than the price!!!
Now, If you Drag Race it then or spend a lot of time WOT then brands will make a difference. But, that starts a whole nother emotional never ending debate over Oil!!!

·
Premium Member
6,763 Posts
Wonder if Jay Leno or any other large collector has the oil changed in all their vehicles if they aren't driven. Just curious.
Don't know about driving them Robert, but the 5 large collectors of classic cars, that I have known/visited all had a Curator that started them weekly. One you met and visited was Dick Levi in Springfield, Illinois, and the only one he drove was the "Smokin Asphalt" 63 "Plain Jane" 409 Stick that he got out on the street and "street dragged" with the young generation.

A few years ago a guy here in Middle Tennessee had the largest collection of classic Chevy's (over 150) in the U.S. and he never drove any of them ... just had a curator take care of them. When he auctioned them off they said Jay Leno was there. I don't know about the other 3 (Hendersonville, Chattanooga area & Tallahassee, Fl. the other ones I got to see).

·
Registered
211 Posts
Don't know about driving them Robert, but the 5 large collectors of classic cars, that I have known/visited all had a Curator that started them weekly. One you met and visited was Dick Levi in Springfield, Illinois, and the only one he drove was the "Smokin Asphalt" 63 "Plain Jane" 409 Stick that he got out on the street and "street dragged" with the young generation.

A few years ago a guy here in Middle Tennessee had the largest collection of classic Chevy's (over 150) in the U.S. and he never drove any of them ... just had a curator take care of them. When he auctioned them off they said Jay Leno was there. I don't know about the other 3 (Hendersonville, Chattanooga area & Tallahassee, Fl. the other ones I got to see).
Tallahassee is a great museum and wonderful collection. Also have a HUGE collection of Case Knives. Its a must see.

Layne12gun

·
Premium Member
6,763 Posts
Tallahassee is a great museum and wonderful collection. Also have a HUGE collection of Case Knives. Its a must see.

Layne12gun
You are right ... It is a must see, I've never seen such a variety collectables. He had a little bit of everything. But very well displayed and organized. Devoe Moore is the gentleman's name. A graduate of Florida State (FSU) he is a very willing benefactor to his alma mater. One thing I did question was a buggy or a hearse that Mr. Moore said Abraham Lincoln rode in or something like that. Think I'll call down there today and see if I can check it out. :ssr

·
Administrator
8,203 Posts
My SSR's first oil change was at 750 miles and I used Mobil 1. Every year when I get my SSR inspected I have the Mobil 1 oil changed.

My neighbor is a GM mechanic who works for a Chevrolet Dealership. I take it to him to have my SSR inspected and checked over and to have the Mobile 1 oil changed. I do that so I will continue to have my SSR fully documented. He has told me that I am the highest % Oil Life vehicle that he has ever changed. I am typically around 96% Oil life remaining each year. Last year I was at 98% Oil Life. :blush-anim-cl:

Yes I will hope to drive it more once I am retired. :yesnod

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
12 Participants
Marc NY
Chevy SSR Forum
Chevy SSR Forum - where SSR fans discuss modifications, wheel & tire tech, performance and so much more!
Full Forum Listing