Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To all, especially those who insist or feel that a 3000 mille oil change is important, PLEASE re-evaluate the way you see things! This is a huge amount of information, but after educating yourself on the issue, you can debate this topic with the uninformed with great scientific facts.

This also has many other sub-links to click on; as I said, its alot of info:

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

Dont post any replies to this until you have read the entire thing. I, as most all people who are age 30 and up, have been told from our parents down to our High School auto shop teacher to change the oil every 2000 miles....remember that? It wasent until about the early 1990's as I recall that we could all magically change it at 3000 miles. WOW! we thought, 3000 miles?!?! Whoa! Is'nt that bad? What about viscosity? on and on and on the questions we had went on. It was totally against what we were taught.

Now we enter the age of the beyond 3000 mile interval. WOW! BEYOND 3000 MILES!?!?! we say. Going from 2000 to 3000 was a bitter pill to swallow, but now we can go to the 5000 miles+ and beyond?!? I know this may upset some, and make fools of others (as it did I) but folks, if your changing your oil (even those cars that run conventional "dino-juice") at 3000 miles, your could acctually be causing MORE HARM than good!

All I ask is take about 30 minutes of your time to read this interesting blog. It should clear up many questions. The bottom line is that the oil life computer in our new generation GM's is the nearest thing to telling the truth about the oil life. You will also come to the conclusion that the GM interval still maybe a bit on the short side!

I started this thread from another thread that contained alot of uneducated, 3000 mile oil change'ers. I wanted to make sure that SSR owners need not "freak-out" when your oil life hits 0%. We run Mobil 1 synthetic oil; its fine! The most important thing, and this is discussed in the like above, to check you oil level often.

PS - By the way this does not relate to initial "break-in" oil changes. I have with all of my vehicles, changed the oil after the first 1500 miles and again after about 3500 or so to remove any metals... after this, I go with what the dic says.

·
Registered
14 Posts
To KK7ac from W6ZC

Had the same problem! My engine uses about 1/2 quart/5000mi. I always
check the color and smell. The smell is expecially important.
I find my engine to be very clean. However, I am somewhat of a conservative
driver. Still 8500 dic miles is a lot to ask. In fact, I cannot do it and always
change my oil and filter early....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
8500 is right on target!

Hello there my 6 land friend! 8500 is most likely the perfect time to change! Really, read the link. It will enhance thinking on the "premature" nature in which we Americans have changed our oil. The 2000 or now 3000 mile oil change is probably the reason that engines need re-built every 100,000 miles! It was all a big conspriacy the 2000/3000 mile oil change -the dealer wanted the $20 every other month and the manufacture loved to sell a new block every 100,000 miles! (albeit engines are much better produced and of far better tolorances today)

_._ _._ _ _... ._ _._. ..._._

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
QnHouston said:
I do what my dic tells me to do.

Can't do this anymore, thinking that way got me married the first time:willy: :willy: :banghead :leaving

·
Registered
515 Posts
Remenber ARCO Graphite & early Mobil 1???

For the over 50 crowd, I am sure you will remember when ARCO(Atlantic) came out with Graphite Oil, and the very early days of Mobil 1. The ARCO Graphite was so slippery that it would leak out of any crevasse or opening anywhere on the motor, usually through the oil pan bolts and gasket areas around the valve covers, just to name a few. Back then, the big advertisement was how long you could go without oil changes, as kk7ac stated it "was a bitter pill to swallow". Well the graphite did have problems and if I remember correctly, it was pulled off the market some time after, can't remember how long it stayed around.

Now Mobil 1 comes out(again my memory, having a senior moment) can't remenber the exact year, but anyway, when first introduced you could go 18,000 to 20,000 miles between changes, now this was hot news!!! How could this be??? Well, that advertisement did not stay around long, because after awhile they lowered their oil change interval recommendations. Why, could be for many reasons,(have my theories on this), but anyway it was still big news in the auto and oil industry.

As far as when you should change your oil, I don't feel that is a big issue as opposed to what kk7ac also mentioned "to check your oil level often" You know how you drive and what conditions you are exposed to, you have to determine what is best for you, just remember that the technology is there, so take advantage of it.

My uncle once had a 64 Ford Falcon, which he never and I mean never opened the hood. One day it just died on him, the motor was so melted together that it was trash, that was the end of the Falcon.
And our 94 25th Anniv T/A used Mobil 1 from the beginning, and I used to change the oil every 8,000 to 10,000 miles w/filter. Sold it almost 2 years ago with 86,000miles and never used or burned a drop of oil.

Well I like to wish everyone and their families a very HAPPY and most of all HEALTHY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Tom:) :) :)

·
West Coast Pit Crew
10,185 Posts
I See The Light

My life will be lead by my DIC:glol :glol :glol

·
Registered
487 Posts

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
The study implied that the best regimen was to change the filter between oil changes. Can you just unscrew the filter on a cold engine and replace it? I've always changed the filter when I changed oil. How much oil would you lose just changing the filter. Seems like you would at least lose some and have to top off the oil. Comments?

Chris A.

·
Registered
192 Posts
texster68 said:
The study implied that the best regimen was to change the filter between oil changes. Can you just unscrew the filter on a cold engine and replace it? I've always changed the filter when I changed oil. How much oil would you lose just changing the filter. Seems like you would at least lose some and have to top off the oil. Comments?

Chris A.
Chris,
To address this issue, AMSOIL just released a new line of filters that is rated for a full year or 15,000 miles of use for severe service, AMSOIL Ea Oil Filter. Part number for the SSR is EAO32 for both the 5.3 and 6.0L V-8s.

In line with the thread, I used to be a 3,000 mile guy as well, but after reading tons of info on oils including the study above, shifting to AMSOIL for my Z06, then using it for my wife's Chevy Trailblazer and in my F350 turbo diesel, I now run the Chevy Trailblazer per the oil life monitor using AMSOIL XL Synthetic 5w30 and average about 8,500 miles per change, just at the GM average, and change the oil in my F350 using Series 3000 Synthetic 5w30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil at 15,000 mile intervals. :cheers

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Subdriver!!!- You too see the light! Yahoo for you too! Its a tough thing being a recovering 3000 mile'er ain't it?! Get beat up alot too! :)

Anyway to answer the quote on texter68; yes you can just unscrew the filter cold. About (as I recall) 3/4 of a qrt or so will be removed if you just elect to change the filter (which alot more people are doing now a day's). I cant say for certain exacly how much oil must be replaced since its not only oil in the filter being removed, but also the oil that is drained (once you remove the filter) from the oil pump (low side) and its galley. Again, I would think its at least 3/4 qrt. if not more. The easy way of course would be to check dip-stick level after removing the filter assuming that you had a full dose of oil to begin with. I've never tried that -I just change filter and oil myself once the light goes on.

Please note too that I change the oil 3 times in the first 6000 miles or so....yet another topic of discussion for another time. In fact those guys in the neptune study indicated they believed that the long interval oil change maybe should not occur until a full engine break-in; 20,000. I know my 2004 GMC Yukon did not "break-in until about 14,000 based on the fuel milage. It was dramatic the change in fuel economy. But who's splinting hairs? Do we take this kind of care of our own bodies? Ya, I know the answer too.

As a side note (i know big trucks are different and all so dont shoot me) but a friend who is a diesel tech at a major trucking firm change their oil out (case drain) in their tractors between 30-35,000 miles. The drivers when they fuel up just look at the level. The techs change the filter out around 15,000 to make it a 2:1 ratio on filters and drains.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Other things that wear out early. Years ago I was talking to a guy who worked for a paint/stain (making) company. He said that he painted the outside of his house with a paint that would last 30 years. I said I thought paint would last 8-10 years. He said 'yes' the paint I buy at the store will last that long. The paint he used was developed by his company but not sold....why, because they felt that they would put themselves out of business.

Isn't that a shame....that companies need to sell you things that wear out so that they can sell more to you so that they can stay in business. This makes it a very slow process to get better items.....the car industry is exactly the same way :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
:agree
WOW_FCTR said:
Other things that wear out early. Years ago I was talking to a guy who worked for a paint/stain (making) company. He said that he painted the outside of his house with a paint that would last 30 years. I said I thought paint would last 8-10 years. He said 'yes' the paint I buy at the store will last that long. The paint he used was developed by his company but not sold....why, because they felt that they would put themselves out of business.

Isn't that a shame....that companies need to sell you things that wear out so that they can sell more to you so that they can stay in business. This makes it a very slow process to get better items.....the car industry is exactly the same way :rolleyes:

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
One of the big differences in making oil change intervals longer is the fuel. The fuel today is so highly refined and has so many detergents its almost water clear today. Conventional gasoline used to have an orange tint to it and was very dirty compared to what we have today. Hence there are less contaminates going into the oil as well.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
WOW_FCTR said:

Planned Obsolescence

·
Registered
192 Posts
kk7ac said:
Subdriver!!!- You too see the light! Yahoo for you too! Its a tough thing being a recovering 3000 mile'er ain't it?! Get beat up alot too! :)

Anyway to answer the quote on texter68; yes you can just unscrew the filter cold. About (as I recall) 3/4 of a qrt or so will be removed if you just elect to change the filter (which alot more people are doing now a day's). I cant say for certain exacly how much oil must be replaced since its not only oil in the filter being removed, but also the oil that is drained (once you remove the filter) from the oil pump (low side) and its galley. Again, I would think its at least 3/4 qrt. if not more. The easy way of course would be to check dip-stick level after removing the filter assuming that you had a full dose of oil to begin with. I've never tried that -I just change filter and oil myself once the light goes on.
Yep, I get beat up a lot on the Vette forums as well, but at least I'm not trying to sell an oil that recommends 3k mile oil changes, so I don't let it get to me.

As for the filter change, the filter on the LS1/2 is very small. Takes about 1/2 quart. The pan doesn't drain to the filter so when you take the filter off, you don't really lose that much oil.

The filter on both my Vette and my wife's Trailblazer sits upside down. Doesn't it do this on the SSR as well? If so, just turn the filter upside down and pour oil in it until it is full then screw it on. That will help prevent a dry start (as the oil normally as to fill the filter before it goes to the engine) and will result in the oil level being virtually unchanged for those that want to change the filter prior to the oil.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts