Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between oil changes of 5k what oil consumption are your LS2's using. Down 1 qt. Dropped the TOY off to get coolant usage diagnosed. Hope nothing serious. Already cancelled Daytona. DAMN.

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
Between oil changes of 5k what oil consumption are your LS2's using. Down 1 qt. Dropped the TOY off to get coolant usage diagnosed. Hope nothing serious. Already cancelled Daytona. DAMN.
:|

Wish I could help ya with an answer, but have not yet changed mine since buying it, but did add a little.....because there are guys on here that seem to fear (oil starvation) given the oil pan and pickup setup.

So I "topped mine off"........even though the manual warns again (over filling).

Not sure I buy into the "panic" unless your heavy into drag racing and/or your ride has the Super Charger.

Comments from those with..............Welcome.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,919 Posts
I've only changed mine twice about 6K miles and saw almost no noticeable drop in oil level between changes on my 5.3 with 54K mi. I always fill it one quart over when changing it.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Don't worry about a qt. in 5k. GM's point for oil consumption is 1 qt. in 500 miles. Mine will use between 1/2 qt. to 1 qt. between oil changes of 5k. All depends on how I drive it.

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,276 Posts
From previous threads on this topic, your oil consumption does not seem out of line for the LS2. I haven't really noticed much oil use on our R's, but they are not daily drivers and generally only get 1 oil change per year. Years ago on O-YLR I did perform Topspin's PCV re-routing and did notice that the tailpipe tips didn't soot up as much. You might want to consider that modification if you haven't done so. See link below:

Topspin's oil-consumption-fix

Dan posted some great pics in post 70 of the above thread.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,060 Posts
I put on about 4500 miles a year and run over the full mark and change once a year. Never uses a drop. Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 filter only.

Reactions: tennesseecozydog

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
From previous threads on this topic, your oil consumption does not seem out of line for the LS2. I haven't really noticed much oil use on our R's, but they are not daily drivers and generally only get 1 oil change per year. Years ago on O-YLR I did perform Topspin's PCV re-routing and did notice that the tailpipe tips didn't soot up as much. You might want to consider that modification if you haven't done so. See link below:

Topspin's oil-consumption-fix

Dan posted some great pics in post 70 of the above thread.
Would definitely recommend trying this first. Today I had a chance to reroute my PCV hose as Topspin suggested and it resolved the smoke coming out the tail pipes.

Pictures below show the reroute.
1) Remove the stock vacuum line from port on top of intake and left valve cover (drivers side)
2) Port on top of intake
3) Port on left valve cover (drivers side)
4) Remove rubber cap from Port on valley cover
5) Install rubber cap from valley cover to port on left valve cover (drivers side)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Routing of the new line (Gates 27053 Vacuum Hose) which was 29.5 inches in length.

1) Port on valley cover
2) Port on top of intake
3) Install rubber hose to port on valley cover (route as preferable)
4) Install rubber hose to port on top of intake
5) Gates 27053 Rubber Vacuum Hose

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Would definitely recommend trying this first. Today I had a chance to reroute my PCV hose as Topspin suggested and it resolved the smoke coming out the tail pipes. Pictures below show the reroute.
Thanks for the pictures. What type hose did you use. am worried about collapse. How much did it smoke on start up and did it do it all the time or just hot restart. Going away for a week plan on doing this when I get back. I assume the hose you unhook off driver side valve cover you just plug that cap it off I can't really tell in the picture thanks

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,389 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. What type hose did you use. am worried about collapse. How much did it smoke on start up and did it do it all the time or just hot restart. Going away for a week plan on doing this when I get back. I assume the hose you unhook off driver side valve cover you just plug that cap it off I can't really tell in the picture thanks
Don't forget to cap/plug the tube on the valve cover with the cap you take off the valley tube!!

·
Premium Member
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the pictures. What type hose did you use. am worried about collapse. How much did it smoke on start up and did it do it all the time or just hot restart. Going away for a week plan on doing this when I get back. I assume the hose you unhook off driver side valve cover you just plug that cap it off I can't really tell in the picture ofthanks
Don't forget to cap/plug the tube on the valve cover with the cap you take off the valley tube!!
Thanks , that is the answer I needed. If this solves my problem, I'm going to be happy but also POed. Cancelled Daytona thinking the worse. The Dreaded head gasket.

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Gates 27053 Rubber Vacuum Hose it has a really thick wall

Mine was smoking just as you described yours is and it did the first time just a little after I did the reroute however now it doesn’t do it at all.

Yes, took the rubber cap from port on the valley cover and moved it to the port on the drivers side valve cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Gates 27053 Rubber Vacuum Hose it has a really thick wall

Mine was smoking just as you described yours is and it did the first time just a little after I did the reroute however now it doesn’t do it at all.

Yes, took the rubber cap from port on the valley cover and moved it to the port on the drivers side valve cover.
Keep an eye on the hose after you drive awhile and it gets hot under hood and its subject to high vacuum on deceleration I finally ended up making a fitted tube out of copper tubing. It was easy to bend to shape and doesn't collapse then I just connected with 1 or 2 inches of hose at each end. Problem solved

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,389 Posts
This is from a post 12-03-2012 #68 of 74 by Shadowman-- I went to O'Reilleys and matched up the I.D. of the hose. I ended up using Gates 3/8" fuel injector hose. It is rubber reinforced and pretty sturdy. I purchased three feet, the job took about two and a half feet. I tried routing it two different ways, up and over looked the best and had a clear pathway, looks like it should be there.
Good luck

Nick

·
Premium Member
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The jury is back and we have a good verdict. After rerouting the PCV hoses as per all the excellent advice we have no smoking on start up and no oil consumption. Thanks for all the input.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,060 Posts
The jury is back and we have a good verdict. After rerouting the PCV hoses as per all the excellent advice we have no smoking on start up and no oil consumption. Thanks for all the input.
Did you have to re-route the hoses because of the custom covers or work you did or should we all do it? Just wondering.

·
Premium Member
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you have to re-route the hoses because of the custom covers or work you did or should we all do it? Just wondering.
I'M not a 100 per cent sure, but the chrome valve covers did not have baffles like OE. Did not want to take them off to find out. I just followed advice and rerouted the hoses. Problems solved. I do believe the tail pipe tips have less soot.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts