Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CAUTION Recently, thought I would have oil pan gasket replaced to solve oil leak. Mechanic, who has had experience with the 5.3L engine, told me & later confirmed that frequently the rear main seal is leaking. Due to the labor involvement, I replaced both.

SJA

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
Did the mechanic confirm the rear main was indeed leaking? With the pan down it's a good idea to do the seal, but I wondered if that was the source of the leak?

Reactions: SJA

·
Premium Member
5,902 Posts
When I bought the TOY with 20k on it, had it for about a month and noticed oil on garage floor. Checked it out and at rear main area was leaking. Wiped it down and drove it. Checked it frequently and leak went away. My thought the truck was not drivin much for a few years before I bought it and driving it solved the problem.

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
Agree

Yes just sitting up and not driving will cause the seals / gaskets to shrink and or leak. :crying:Common on all vehicles. So "Get you motors running and get out on the Hwy" AND "Turn some heads"

"Long may we ALL run":grin2:

When I bought the TOY with 20k on it, had it for about a month and noticed oil on garage floor. Checked it out and at rear main area was leaking. Wiped it down and drove it. Checked it frequently and leak went away. My thought the truck was not drivin much for a few years before I bought it and driving it solved the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Small oil leak

My '04 never leaked oil. The first morning the '05 was in the garage a small amount of oil under the truck. I just put a pan under and lived with it but it sure irked me. When I changed to the C 6 pan I made sure I put a dab of sealer on the intersection on the block at the 4 corners. No more leak.

Jack

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Did the mechanic confirm the rear main was indeed leaking? With the pan down it's a good idea to do the seal, but I wondered if that was the source of the leak?
Bruce, the rear main oil seal on the LS engines cannot be replaced by dropping the oil pan. The seal is a one piece seal and is installed over the end of the crankshaft. You have to remove the trans or engine to replace it. Also the rear engine plate that the seal goes into is the main source of leaks in the bellhousing area. I always replace the plate with the latest update version which has the rear main oil seal already installed in the plate, along with a new gasket.

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
Yes that LS motor is a different animal from the earlier small blocks, parts are trickier.
Remember when you needed a chevy water pump and the only thing they asked was long or short?
Now you can't get parts without entering make, model, year, blood type and social security number, in their computer.

Reactions: SJA

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Yes that LS motor is a different animal from the earlier small blocks, parts are trickier.
Remember when you needed a chevy water pump and the only thing they asked was long or short?
Now you can't get parts without entering make, model, year, blood type and social security number, in their computer.
Bruce you forgot the first question was big block or small block then long or short. Ahh when life was so much easier.

:thumbs

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
973 Posts
I still have the rear seal oil leak in my 05. Took it to a shop for a repair estimate and was quoted $2600. YIKES!

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Carl,
On the same day I was attempting to solve my oil leak with an oil pan gasket, I also was having the mechanic change the transmission fluid & filter. Since he already had to remove various brackets to r&r the oil & trans. pan, he dropped the transmission which gave him access to replace the rear main plate & seal. I felt much better when he confirmed the rear seal was leaking. Rear main plate & seal kit was $90. Trans. seal & filter kit was $41. I supplied the synthetic eng. oil & trans fluid. Total labor was $720. at a $95. per hr. rate.
Good mechanics that you can work with are hard to find. Hope the info. is helpful.

"SJA" Steve

·
My First Permagrin !
567 Posts
Like others have stated already, you have to pull the trans too access rear main seal.
Mine was leaking slightly since day one . So when I did the torque converter, fluid, filter, pan upgrade service , we also serviced the rear main seal at the same time . Think ahead and do everything once. Good luck , Dave

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
973 Posts
Thank you SJA and Jersey Red! I will reattack with a different shop (NOT dealership) to get an estimate I can live with (and afford). Would be nice to get the leak fixed once and for all.
Cheers, Carl

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
Have to know shop language... $2600 = Please take it somewhere else. ;)

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,670 Posts
I had oil seal leak, 5.3 naturally, they all seem to leak at rear seal.

I had Rear Seal, (GM has drastically improved seal) Oil Pan Seal, (found oil pickup bad), Transmission rebuilt, (told it was a good thing I did, it was getting close), new plugs/plug wires, front alignment: Cost $2900.

Only have 135,000 miles on my 04, guess it needed repairs like me, heart valve, cataract surgery, I CAN SEE!

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had oil seal leak, 5.3 naturally, they all seem to leak at rear seal.

I had Rear Seal, (GM has drastically improved seal) Oil Pan Seal, (found oil pickup bad), Transmission rebuilt, (told it was a good thing I did, it was getting close), new plugs/plug wires, front alignment: Cost $2900.

Only have 135,000 miles on my 04, guess it needed repairs like me, heart valve, cataract surgery, I CAN SEE!

Dicktator
Dick,
Your last paragraph should serve as a reminder to us all. Everyday should be Thanksgiving as we are all so blessed to have the physical & mental health plus the money to keep up with our R's.
Let's enjoy and appreciate every member in this Forum,
"SJA" Steve

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
973 Posts
Carl,
On the same day I was attempting to solve my oil leak with an oil pan gasket, I also was having the mechanic change the transmission fluid & filter. Since he already had to remove various brackets to r&r the oil & trans. pan, he dropped the transmission which gave him access to replace the rear main plate & seal. I felt much better when he confirmed the rear seal was leaking. Rear main plate & seal kit was $90. Trans. seal & filter kit was $41. I supplied the synthetic eng. oil & trans fluid. Total labor was $720. at a $95. per hr. rate.
Good mechanics that you can work with are hard to find. Hope the info. is helpful.

"SJA" Steve
Welllll ... my tranny crapped out on me today. Driving home from work when the tranny decided it no longer wanted to shift out of 1st gear. Stopped and checked the fluid and all seemed good, but still no joy on the tranny shifting. No fun driving 45 mph at 4000 rpm. Made it to the Chevy dealer and left it there. They will check it out tomorrow, but I am fearing the cost of a new tranny. Might be time to get the rear oil seal fixed. Dang, there goes Christmas.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Welllll ... my tranny crapped out on me today. Driving home from work when the tranny decided it no longer wanted to shift out of 1st gear. Stopped and checked the fluid and all seemed good, but still no joy on the tranny shifting. No fun driving 45 mph at 4000 rpm. Made it to the Chevy dealer and left it there. They will check it out tomorrow, but I am fearing the cost of a new tranny. Might be time to get the rear oil seal fixed. Dang, there goes Christmas.
Would that be the grinch that stole Christmas? Merry Christmas anyway.:imsorry:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts