Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Two Tone Owner
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to replace the oil pressure sending unit on my 04.
Should I buy a AC Delco sensoor will any parts store brand be as good?
Also, is there a screen (filter) under it?
If so, can you clean it or does it have to be replaced?
Walter

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
:rolleyes:

I would not go for (any parts store brand) as you put it. The deal is you need to be sure the "sending unit" is compatible with your vehicle and/or gauges. Many years ago, at a street rod rally, I bought an engine/trans from a "roll over" Camaro/Firebird. It was an LT-1 (1996) as I recall........might be off on that.

Anyway, my street rod had a 350 carbed small block in it and this was to replace that. As I recall, I likely did not remove and replace the oll pressure sender that was on the new engine. Once I had gone ahead with the engine/trans swap, and hooked up everything.......I was very upset to see pretty much a very low reading on my in dash oil pressure gauge that worked just fine with former 350.

Once I did some investigation, the thought was to swap out the sending unit with the one that had been working just fine on the original small block. Once I made that swap, my oil pressure with new engine showed what one would want and relieved my concern that I had a real problem.

As to any such screen/filter that would be there, I am not aware of any such thing being there.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
My son had a 4 cyl S10 that the oil sending unit shot craps on. He went to Autozone and got their brand part and came home to get help installing it. I told him when he handed it to me that he needed to learn how to put it in. He gave me that strange look like what do you mean. Sure enough about 3 months it was leaking again. Well after the third one in 8 months he asked what to do. I told him to go to another parts store and get a GM one. Problem solved. He had it for 3 more years and it was still good when he sold it.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,774 Posts
I doubt you will find a Delco Switch. Maybe a dealer can get one.
Don't use a Delco Professional part, they are all asian made and junk.
I bought an SMP switch. They will probably all come with a screen because they are universal for many years.
The 04 did not have a screen. GM added the screen after 2007 +/- after getting complaints that oil sludge was plugging up the senders and they needed to be replaced prematurely. So the brilliant GM engineers added the screen which plugs up easier and required removing the intake and fuel rails to replace.
The sender on your 04 can be replaced without removing anything but it is a chore because it buried behind the intake and under the firewall.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Bought mine from autoparts store and had no problems. Will also need to buy the special socket to remove as the sender unit is in a tight space. In my experience it was a real pain to remove and replace!
Problem was a stepper motor in dash display so not needed to change.

·
Two Tone Owner
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bought mine from autoparts store and had no problems. Will also need to buy the special socket to remove as the sender unit is in a tight space. In my experience it was a real pain to remove and replace!
Problem was a stepper motor in dash display so not needed to change.
Thanks, my mechanic is going to change it for me. I’m not agile enough to do that kind of work anymore. I had the stepper motors changed last year.
Wqlter

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have to replace the oil pressure sending unit on my 04.
Should I buy a AC Delco sensoor will any parts store brand be as good?
Also, is there a screen (filter) under it?
If so, can you clean it or does it have to be replaced?
Walter
Are you sure it is the sender? Mine went bonkers after last oil change. But is working ok now.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,774 Posts
Thanks, my mechanic is going to change it for me. I’m not agile enough to do that kind of work anymore. I had the stepper motors changed last year.
Wqlter
Probably a good idea! I got my hand stuck back there trying to get the connector back on (which was the most frustrating and difficult part of replacing it) I left some skin in the truck trying to extract my hand. I could get my finger on the connector but couldn't get close enough to get enough pressure to snap it in. I ended up making a tool from a piece of bent alum tubing with a slot in it to hold the connector and snake it down onto the sender to snap in place. Two band-aides later I was done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts