Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the (seemingly) never ending saga of the low oil pressure in my R, Mike Moro just replaced the stepper motors in the gauge panel and now, the check engine light has gone off but the oil pressure gauge pegs right on start up, returns to zero (far left) and then does not register any oil pressure. The sensor has been replaced twice well as the sensor pigtail. My mechanic says he now feels it is the oil pump. Any thoughts? If I do have to replace the oil pump do I go OEM GM or with something like Melling? Appreciate everyone's help!

·
SSR Believer
3,886 Posts
In the (seemingly) never ending saga of the low oil pressure in my R, Mike Moro just replaced the stepper motors in the gauge panel and now, the check engine light has gone off but the oil pressure gauge pegs right on start up, returns to zero (far left) and then does not register any oil pressure. The sensor has been replaced twice well as the sensor pigtail. My mechanic says he now feels it is the oil pump. Any thoughts? If I do have to replace the oil pump do I go OEM GM or with something like Melling? Appreciate everyone's help!
Glad you had Mike do the gauge repair so that you know they're all working as they should. (y) As you're aware, all of your gauges should sweep fully to max, back down to zero and then show normal readings when you first start up your SSR.

Basic question... does your SSR start and run normally?

If the oil pressure was zero you would know it instantly from the terrible clatter from the engine (and having it eventually seize up). The check engine light would have illuminated almost immediatly.

If you're not hearing anything unusual, it's very unlikely that it's the oil pump. I cannot remember the last time anyone mentioned having to replace a failed oil pump here. Even if the pressure was low the gauge wouldn't sit at zero. So I'd still wager it has something to do with the sending unit or at minimum something going on between the sending unit and the gauge. Mark (@Autoprof) or others can help with the details when they have time.

So it sounds like your mechanic is just guessing now. That can be very expensive. Seriously, I'd seek out a new shop/professional mechanic with a Tech 2 digital scanner and have them take a look and if they don't know what a Tech 2 scanner is, quickly move on. Your SSR's entire system can be read in minute detail. They may not be able to tell you exactly what's going on at first, but it can be narrowed down pretty quickly. Throwing parts at an unknown problem is always a mistake. Put your wallet back in your pocket and find a new shop.

My $.02 ;)

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur, top secret can't say anything about another one
7,049 Posts
When it comes to oil pumps, GM probably doesn't build their own, but use someone to build them for them. I have used Mellings pumps on many of my different engines including race engines that see a lot of abuse and never had an oil pump failure from them.

Now one other thing to keep in mind on LS engines. They use an o ring between the oil pump pick up and they sometimes go bad. There are a lot of videos on the innerwebs on replacing them so you might want to search some of those and see if they match up to your problem. Seem like I have heard there are also some issues with the bolt that holds the pick up can back out a little. I thought there are some billet supports for the LS engines also. I have not dropped the pan on mine yet so sorry nothing first hand here. Let us know what you find.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,956 Posts
Should be able to temporarily put a manual oil pressure gauge in the system someplace for testing to see if you actually don't have oil pressure or not. Could be a sending unit or ground or wiring problem etc. If in fact you do not have oil pressure I would not drive it until figured out for sure and repaired. Could scatter the motor without oil pressure.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
There's a couple possibilities that come to mind. First, is that the pressure relief valve is hung open and the pump isn't building proper pressure. Second, and worst, is that you've sustained bearing damage and pressure is bleeding off due to increased clearances. Pulling the oil filter and cutting it open will reveal bearing material, if present.

My choice would be Melling, if replacing the pump. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,574 Posts
You need to get a shop to manually check the oil pressure to verify the oil pump is or is not at fault. If pressure is OK then it’s possible the port below the oil pressure switch is plugged up. GM had that issue in latter models when they added a screen in the port to keep the switch from getting plugged but it should not be in any of the SSR 5.3 or 6.0 motors but it’s still possible the port is gunked up. Will require manifold removal to get at it and clean it.
As previous post stated you would know it right away if you had no oil pressure or had bearing failure.

·
SSR Believer
3,886 Posts
There's a couple possibilities that come to mind. First, is that the pressure relief valve is hung open and the pump isn't building proper pressure. Second, and worst, is that you've sustained bearing damage and pressure is bleeding off due to increased clearances. Pulling the oil filter and cutting it open will reveal bearing material, if present.

My choice would be Melling, if replacing the pump. Good luck!
Good info. (y)

So even if there are issues like you've noted, wouldn't the gauge still show some amount of pressure? The OP is stating that it sweeps normally then goes back to zero. Or wouldn't there be some other indication that something's amiss, lifter noise, etc.? Could be wrong but it sounds like it starts up and runs normally, just that the gauge is "dead" for all intents.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,574 Posts
Good info. (y)

So even if there are issues like you've noted, wouldn't the gauge still show some amount of pressure? The OP is stating that it sweeps normally then goes back to zero. Or wouldn't there be some other indication that something's amiss, lifter noise, etc.? Could be wrong but it sounds like it starts up and runs normally, just that the gauge is "dead" for all intents.
My bet is the oil sensor port is plugged So its getting no pressure reading. Never seen this on an SSR but I have on full size truck with the 5.3. Was my son in laws truck. Had to remove the intake and pressure switch and flush out the port with throttle body cleaner. Then change the oil. But that truck was approaching 200K mi.

·
SSR Believer
3,886 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. R is at another shop now being diagnosed. Will see if 3rd time is the charm. Will update. Have great weekends!
Good to know and smart move IMHO. (y) Per my earlier questions... does it start up and drive normally otherwise? Does this new shop have a Tech 2?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts