Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading different threads on oil changes reminded me of the 6 quarts required. I checked my last invoice when I had a oil change done at the dealer in December and it seems they put in 7 quarts. Will that cause any harm? The dipstick registers fine and it has only been driven 500 miles since the change. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Oil job

It seems that these engines use more than 6 quarts on an oil change.The old 5.7s' were 6 qarts on the money ut these are more like 6.5 quarts. I would say that as long as the dipstick is showing good, then you should be o.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input, never hurts to be sure and the dealer said the same. They use a bit more than 6 and code as 7.

·
Registered
192 Posts
There is always a debate on the Vette forums as to how much oil the engine really takes (this on the 5.7L LS6).

As long as your dip stick is showing the proper level, you should be fine. As a point of FYI, for you, on the LS6 in my Z06, I've read that the difference between the full mark on the dipstick and the oil hitting the bottom of the crankshaft is about 2.5 quarts, so one quart over isn't a problem. In fact, for the Z06, GM actually recommended running a quart over full for track use to prevent oil starvation at high rpms (lots of oil up in the engine) with a corner G load forcing oil away from the oil pickup pump.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts