Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just stopping in to check the site. An to say Hi. Been 2 week owner, and life is getting in the way of me working on my R. Hadn't got the top working yet. So I'm going to move on to other pre- maint. issues. first thing to do? Ign. Switch, Fan, Shifter? None of them are giving me any problems. Where to buy the switch? And what about it being keyed to the door? Is it a special switch? And yes, I'm going to check the library. But thought I would post, just to have conversation with other R owners. None around here. Thanks Joe

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Welcome from Syracuse, NY - The first thing I changed was the ignition switch and fan - got them from Simple Engineering, then I replaced the radiator support and the rear stabilizer bar, again both from simple engineering

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,022 Posts
A big hearty welcome from Sunny Sturgis South Dakota!!!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Here's a basic list I used by priority when I bought my SSR.
1) replace shift connector under truck with Dicktator's fix
2) Installed Mikes Simple Engineering ABS heat shield
3) Replaced ignition switch
4) Replaced radiator support
5) installed 4 bolt crossmember
6) replaced fan with Mike's SE
7) replaced air damn for better air circulation

I am sure others will chime in on this also.

·
Registered
74 Posts
At mini-tech day in Texas, the guys did several of the Simple Engineering upgrades. The Front Frame Stiffening Plate made a HUGE difference and really made the truck ride great. I was also happy to get the fan upgraded before it hit 110o here. I also did the heat shield, radiator support and heat shield.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys
not sure if any has been done, going to give it a good going over this weekend.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Preventive maintenance.... assuming you have fresh filters and fresh fluids...

Lube every hinge and swivel joint you can find on the truck. Inside the top storage area too. Look for any unsecured lines or cables.

Clean and lubricate all the rubber gaskets and seals around the doors, top panels and bed cover.

How old is the battery? If you don't know you might want a fresh one.

Ignition switch in the steering column. A good idea to swap it out to avoid a plethora of potential electrical gremlins. They're available on ebay for low cast.

Maybe a shifter connection. I know when I did mine I pulled out the old one and it looked new. No signs of wear. It would appear that my 50K mile truck has seen mostly highway miles with little use of the shifter. I changed it out anyway as I was already under the truck.

Radiator support?? If it ain't broke you're ok. But if it comes in contact with anything solid, the support will likely lose the battle. If you do replace it, plan on an alignment.

New radiator fan... not a bad idea especially if your truck runs warm. They're not cheap but again, it's good insurance. I'm still running the stock fan but I did upgrade the front lower air scoop. All's well here for now.

Obviously... check your brake pads and braking system.

I did replace the rear cross member but saw little benefit.

Now... for the fun stuff if you want to make your 5.3 wake up...

Swap out the rear gear from a stock 3:73 to a 4:11 and get a performance tune. You'll be pleased.

Best of luck to you.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Joe, I had a tune out in mine,man o man. The seat of the pants feel is awesome. The guy that did mine is the local 5.3 guru. He also lowered the temp perimeters. That made a big difference in the temps that it operates at now. Stop and go traffic with air running never over 210. Best money I've spent so far.

Reactions: Quest

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,363 Posts
Radiator support?? If it ain't broke you're ok. But if it comes in contact with anything solid, the support will likely lose the battle. If you do replace it, plan on an alignment..
Personally I would put this higher on the list! Besides supporting the Radiator, it TIES the frame rails together, resulting in the need for re-alignment! That should tell you something about its weakness. Changing it will also eliminate some Steering wheel shake and just tighten the ride up.
Then for alignment, go to the Library and get Dicktator's "Alignment Specs" and tell the shop to use those settings instead of Factory settings. This should be done regardless to ELIMINATE TIRE WEAR!!!

Nick

·
Premium Member
19,710 Posts
With new radiator support front end alignment is not required( Mike has said this many times) but for ideal tire wear have it set per Dicktators specs

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
972 Posts

I made every upgrade that PurpleHaze has on the list above (a very good list by-the-way) but, instead of the 4-bolt crossmember, I attended a Tech Day and someone who installed a new 4-bolt crossmember let me have their old crossmember. I installed the used one next to the one already on my SSR ... the bolt holes are already on the truck. I'm sure there are quite a few available crossmembers just taking up space in a fellow Fanatics garage.

·
Daily Driver
8,940 Posts
Carl, two of the stock tube crossmembers doesn't come close to a 4 bolt crossmember in performance.

·
AZ SSR Daily Driver
496 Posts

Agreed on all counts above. Mine is a daily driver and these are the critical few that should be first addressed. All can be sourced to Simple-Engineering.com.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Welcome too the Group, from Friendswood, Texas. Plenty of great people on here too chat with about Your new R. Enjoy it fully.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts