Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to go old school while upgrading my spring rates. Figured a little more rigidity/stability might save me some headaches down the road.

Photo #1 shows the stock rocker/support with the stock 8mm hold down bolt above the new combo of Crane fully adjustable rockers, with my fabricated stud girdle.

Photo #2 is the assembled stock setup.

Photo #3 shows the new pushrod guide plates and ARP high strength, fully adjustable, rocker studs.

Photo #4 is the assembled girdle setup and #5 is just a comparison shot.

Attachments

Reactions: Jerry and mikebike

·
Premium Member
2,451 Posts
Decided to go old school while upgrading my spring rates. Figured a little more rigidity/stability might save me some headaches down the road.

Photo #1 shows the stock rocker/support with the stock 8mm hold down bolt above the new combo of Crane fully adjustable rockers, with my fabricated stud girdle.

Photo #3 shows the new pushrod guide plates and ARP high strength, fully adjustable, rocker studs.

:|

Nice work, but did you do all this while still running hydraulic lifters, or is this extra effort in support of solids. It they're still juice lifters, what advantage did this give you.???

·
Premium Member
668 Posts

Topspin, does all that fit under stock valve covers?

·
Premium Member
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:|

Nice work, but did you do all this while still running hydraulic lifters, or is this extra effort in support of solids. It they're still juice lifters, what advantage did this give you.???
Thanks, and yes still going to run a hydraulic cam. But, the new hydraulic roller lifters will rev to 7500 and beyond and cam profiles can get quite aggressive, too. My new cam will have spring pressures of 160# on the seat and 450# open. Rocker stud/bolt deflection can become an issue, so I'm taking no chances.

Reactions: Jerry

·
Premium Member
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Attachments

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Very nice! I enjoy reading all your tech posts...top notch!

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,312 Posts
Very nice looking engine. Is it still a stock lower end 6.0? How much difference did the intake make and what size throttle body are you using? I am wanting to start upgrading my 5.3 after headers the cam and intake will be first on the list. How big of exhaust are you running on yours? Just curious if you can fit 3" exhaust under the truck with out much trouble.

·
Premium Member
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice! I enjoy reading all your tech posts...top notch!
Many Thanks, you're too kind to an old hot rodder that just enjoys keeping his hands dirty!

·
Premium Member
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very nice looking engine. Is it still a stock lower end 6.0? How much difference did the intake make and what size throttle body are you using? I am wanting to start upgrading my 5.3 after headers the cam and intake will be first on the list. How big of exhaust are you running on yours? Just curious if you can fit 3" exhaust under the truck with out much trouble.
Thanks, but it will look different with a new intake on top of a new engine soon. I'm just finishing up a 427 combo, based on a Dart SHP block, that will replace the stock LS2 pictured. The Holley Sniper intake in the pic didn't get much evaluation because I couldn't stand the noise it made!! It was unbelievably loud and magnified every engine sound like a megaphone! I thought the engine had issues and started on the new combo. Then I threw the old Edelbrock back on and the engine sounded normal again - amazing!

I did and will run a 90mm Vette t. body. I do have a complete 3" dual exhaust system on mine now, along with Kook's headers. There's plenty of room for the exhaust.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Good to know about the Holley intake. Do you think it was because of the way the intake is made that caused the noise? What Edelbrock intake did you run and how did you like it compared to the Holley? Performance wise which intake was better, not taking into account the noise issue?

·
Premium Member
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good to know about the Holley intake. Do you think it was because of the way the intake is made that caused the noise? What Edelbrock intake did you run and how did you like it compared to the Holley? Performance wise which intake was better, not taking into account the noise issue?
I'm absolutely convinced it was the manifold construction - it's welded sheet aluminum, not a casting. I've seen a bunch of welded intakes on drag cars, but they're always run with open headers, so the intake noise isn't noticed. On a muffled street machine it will drive you nuts!

I've played with a few intakes anticipating this stroker combo that I'm finally getting together. Here's what I've tried:

First two photos are of the Edelbrock Victor Jr, with their cast elbow, that I tried first. Strong mid-range and top end power - slight loss of bottom end.

Third photo is the Holley Mid Ram that I tried next and it was slightly stronger down low with a little less high end power, compared to the Victor Jr.

None of these intakes would benefit a stock LS2 or LM4!

As mentioned I have no opinion on the Holley Sniper - no run time.

The last two photos are the Edelbrock Pro Flo XT that I modified to fit my R. It will be on the new engine when it comes out this spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I am going to start with headers and doing a 3" exhaust on my truck first. Then go into cam and intake. Thanks for the input on what you found. I may go with something like the Holley mid ram.

·
Premium Member
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I noticed the MSD coils. Thoughts on those vs. stock or others?
Mostly a cosmetic upgrade - stockers are pretty decent. I had a stock unit fail and a buddy had this set of MSDs he wanted to off, so I got them cheap - probably wouldn't have paid full load for them!

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I'm absolutely convinced it was the manifold construction - it's welded sheet aluminum, not a casting. I've seen a bunch of welded intakes on drag cars, but they're always run with open headers, so the intake noise isn't noticed. On a muffled street machine it will drive you nuts!

I've played with a few intakes anticipating this stroker combo that I'm finally getting together. Here's what I've tried:

First two photos are of the Edelbrock Victor Jr, with their cast elbow, that I tried first. Strong mid-range and top end power - slight loss of bottom end.

Third photo is the Holley Mid Ram that I tried next and it was slightly stronger down low with a little less high end power, compared to the Victor Jr.

None of these intakes would benefit a stock LS2 or LM4!

As mentioned I have no opinion on the Holley Sniper - no run time.

The last two photos are the Edelbrock Pro Flo XT that I modified to fit my R. It will be on the new engine when it comes out this spring.
TopSpin, I have heard good things about the Edelbrock Pro Flo XT. Thanks for sharing the mod you had to complete in order to make it fit. I originally purchased one of them for my turbo build but went another direction due to the intercooler.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts

Topspin I did not know you could get all these rocker parts. Looks nice and stable. It is good to see another option. I sold my adjustable Comp shaft rockers and went back to the Harland Sharp non adjustable. I bet your new engine will be a solid NA beast.

Do you have any detailed photos of your 3" exhaust tail pipes. Getting ready to do Kevin's next week and could use some insight if you feel like sharing your thoughts, pros and cons.

·
Premium Member
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Topspin I did not know you could get all these rocker parts. Looks nice and stable. It is good to see another option. I sold my adjustable Comp shaft rockers and went back to the Harland Sharp non adjustable. I bet your new engine will be a solid NA beast.

Do you have any detailed photos of your 3" exhaust tail pipes. Getting ready to do Kevin's next week and could use some insight if you feel like sharing your thoughts, pros and cons.
Hey Jerry, how've you been - busy I'm guessing? Engine building consumes massive hours for certain!

I have the tailpipes out of the R at the moment. Would pictures that way be helpful? It's actually an old cat-back system from Flowmaster that I don't believe they make anymore.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Hey Jerry, how've you been - busy I'm guessing? Engine building consumes massive hours for certain!

I have the tailpipes out of the R at the moment. Would pictures that way be helpful? It's actually an old cat-back system from Flowmaster that I don't believe they make anymore.
Hey Topspin, we are doing fine. Have not done any engine work for months. Been mostly working on my business and Kevin's SSR when I get time. I went out to the track last Friday to see the new 4 wide configuration and it was very nice. I did not run my truck. Over 500 cars running midnight mayhem. It was a beautiful evening for racing but 3 hour waits between rounds.

No worries on the about the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bump

1 - 19 of 19 Posts