Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THE SSR EXPERIENCE, Jim Gnitecki said, "-and a stock hood can be louvered for that traditional hot rod look." Has anyone done that yet? If so, would you please post a couple of pictures of the job, and answer some questions that have come up in my pursuit of some louvers?
What did you do about the second layer of "stiffener" metal on the underside?
Did the slight curvature of the hood wrinkle when the louvers were punched?
Are you concerned about the ends of the louvers cracking over time?
Lastly, what did you do about the SSR embossed blanket on the underside?
Your help in how you solved these problems would be greatly appreciated. :seeya

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
9,315 Posts
louvre

Took this photo yesterday at So. Cal event in Corona. Sorry it isn't a better close up and I never did find out who the SSR belonged to, but am sure someone will recognize it and give you a heads-up on the "how to".

On second thought, I think this may belong to TALLNLA.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Whoeee!

artsmart said:
Took this photo yesterday at So. Cal event in Corona. Sorry it isn't a better close up and I never did find out who the SSR belonged to, but am sure someone will recognize it and give you a heads-up on the "how to".

On second thought, I think this may belong to TALLNLA.

Gotta love those baby spots. What a blast from the past that is!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Louver-douvers.........

Jim....the photo posted is my truck - '05 with many 50's custom treatments. I have both the hood and tailgate louvered (done by Sir Michaels in Huntington Bch. Ca - 800-900-4944) - as to your questions: I have seen no wrinkling of the hood, the process is as follows: remove the hood, turn it upside down, remove SSR blanket, cut the web/support of, carefully (it is welded back in place after the hood's been "punched", lay out the design of how you want the pattern to be - this should be done very carefully (if the 1st louver is "off", they will all follow), you sane the top of the hood to bare metal, then the louvers are "punched" on a large press with 5000 psi - if you want the lovers to stand up(like on my truck) the the hood is placed on the press, upsidedown - if you want the louvers to be surpressed into the hood you place it top side up, as for replacing the "blanket" - not a good idea for everyday use - when you wash the truck, when it rains or snows(not in Socal, of course) the moisture will collect, between the blanket and hood and eventually rot it out, but you can put it on for cruzzin' or shows. By the Bye - both the top and bottom of the hood needs to be repainted - hope this jiberish helps you. Please message me if you have any questions Jeff a/k/a Tallnla P.S. "The 50's and Rock 'n Roll, FOREVER!!!"

·
Registered
321 Posts
TALLNLA said:
Jim....the photo posted is my truck - '05 with many 50's custom treatments. I have both the hood and tailgate louvered (done by Sir Michaels in Huntington Bch. Ca - 800-900-4944) - as to your questions: I have seen no wrinkling of the hood, the process is as follows: remove the hood, turn it upside down, remove SSR blanket, cut the web/support of, carefully (it is welded back in place after the hood's been "punched", lay out the design of how you want the pattern to be - this should be done very carefully (if the 1st louver is "off", they will all follow), you sane the top of the hood to bare metal, then the louvers are "punched" on a large press with 5000 psi - if you want the lovers to stand up(like on my truck) the the hood is placed on the press, upsidedown - if you want the louvers to be surpressed into the hood you place it top side up, as for replacing the "blanket" - not a good idea for everyday use - when you wash the truck, when it rains or snows(not in Socal, of course) the moisture will collect, between the blanket and hood and eventually rot it out, but you can put it on for cruzzin' or shows. By the Bye - both the top and bottom of the hood needs to be repainted - hope this jiberish helps you. Please message me if you have any questions Jeff a/k/a Tallnla P.S. "The 50's and Rock 'n Roll, FOREVER!!!"
So Tall, do ya notice any flex in the hood without the under support? Luv the louvers, could you have punched more in?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Rainwater said:
So Tall, do ya notice any flex in the hood without the under support? Luv the louvers, could you have punched more in?

Oh my gosh, I just noticed the dual spotlights!!!!!! Reminds me of my dream car as a kid, 49-50 Ford, flathead, dual spots, dual exhaust, lowered radically in the rear and black, of course!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
More Louver/Douver.......

The inner web is back on my truck(it is welded back in after the "punches" are made) - I don't notice any flex. Yes you can put as many louvers as will fit - any kind of design/formation - I saw a guy at "Chevy Madness" (Costa Mesa, Ca. on 8/14)who had louvers in the outline of the "bowtie!", on his tailgate. I don't think you can get to close to the edges nor the curves in the hood. If you look at the Socal Speedshop truck that was at SEMA in '03 (and definitely got me "hooked" on the SSR) - it's orange and cream - they have a lot more louvers than mine. Glad you like the 50's touches - I will try to get some pixs on the site, in the near future - I'm a wee bit "electronically challenged!" I have powder coated lakes plugs, blue dots on the taillights, Smitty glasspack mufflers, dice door lock buttons, as well as shaved and louvered tailgate - very subtle flames on hood and low on the sides (they're not ghost flames - but almost) and some conservative pin stripping, customized grille (shaved the Bowtie, painted the three lower bars to match the upper one - shaved and painted the hood emblem black, and replaced the plastic honey-comb with metalic grey steel mesh) re-routed the exhaust behind the rear wheels (filled in the slits on the rear fascia, where the pipes used to exit)......................thanks again, any questions, please ask. Jeff a/k/a TALLNLA

·
Registered
321 Posts
TALLNLA said:
The inner web is back on my truck(it is welded back in after the "punches" are made) - I don't notice any flex. Yes you can put as many louvers as will fit - any kind of design/formation - I saw a guy at "Chevy Madness" (Costa Mesa, Ca. on 8/14)who had louvers in the outline of the "bowtie!", on his tailgate. I don't think you can get to close to the edges nor the curves in the hood. If you look at the Socal Speedshop truck that was at SEMA in '03 (and definitely got me "hooked" on the SSR) - it's orange and cream - they have a lot more louvers than mine. Glad you like the 50's touches - I will try to get some pixs on the site, in the near future - I'm a wee bit "electronically challenged!" I have powder coated lakes plugs, blue dots on the taillights, Smitty glasspack mufflers, dice door lock buttons, as well as shaved and louvered tailgate - very subtle flames on hood and low on the sides (they're not ghost flames - but almost) and some conservative pin stripping, customized grille (shaved the Bowtie, painted the three lower bars to match the upper one - shaved and painted the hood emblem black, and replaced the plastic honey-comb with metalic grey steel mesh) re-routed the exhaust behind the rear wheels (filled in the slits on the rear fascia, where the pipes used to exit)......................thanks again, any questions, please ask. Jeff a/k/a TALLNLA
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that you had reinstalled the reinforcing web... That does make sense... You have really focused on the 50's look and I think that is cool... Try to get some digital flicks made so you can post them for us to look at. How do the smitties sound? Used to always run an 18" glass on one side and an 18" steel on the other.... Great sound with the old 6 cylinder jobs.... Since putting the 4:56 gears in my SSR I have noticed some back rap and popping going on.... Nostalgic eh? Would love to see your lakers.....

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks TALLNLA....

I was hoping you would reply. The "louver puncher", locally, said just about what you said, but I wanted to hear from someone that's been there first. Many thanks, I will study the matter. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
31,264 Posts
TALLNLA said:
If you look at the Socal Speedshop truck that was at SEMA in '03 (and definitely got me "hooked" on the SSR) - it's orange and cream - they have a lot more louvers than mine.
And, that one was at Homecoming, so I have a photo.

Attachments

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
The GM folks warned me at The Homecoming that "water management" is important if you louver the hood. You have eto ensure that the pattern used has provisions to deflect water away from any electronics that are under the hood!

That could get complicated . . .

Jim G

·
Premium Member
5,744 Posts
grimmye said:
I love the "BUMPER" where did that come from? :yellow: :party
So-Cal Speed Shop made the 2 SSR's for GM. They were going to develop a line of SSR parts based on those 2 trucks, but w/ low volume and production stopped, it never happened.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts