Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our SSR is here! It is currently sitting in the dealer's showroom, according to the agreement that we made. As soon as possible, I will post photos of this marvelous machine. We can take this beauty home on Monday, November 24! Thanks for all of your helpful information regarding this awesome vehicle. Take care all. :cheers

Best Regards;
Steve Boyd
West Coast Air Traffic Control
http://www.westcoastatc.com
:cool

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congratulations!!!!!!!

Go to Eibach Springs, Corona, CA to see my lowered SS/R.

It will be there till Thursday

:party :party :party

·
Premium Member
9,222 Posts
Please - please - photos of how it looks lowered.

If you have a chance to look under the rear of the truck, is there room to install a hidden hitch behind the license plate? The factory install is rated for a 2500 lb tow capacity. However, a Trailblazer (same frame) with the 5.3 auto is rated at 7200 lbs - should be able to bring the SSR capacity up significantly with air bags. I'm assuming the only reason for the lower rating would be related to suspension set-up.

We lowered and bagged a 4 x 4 Sonoma, and set it up with a hidden hitch - very clean.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of the other things that could limit the towing capacity is the tires. Check the tire load rating before you spend the extra $ to upgrade the hitch. I had an issue with towing capacity on my Harley F150 and the limitation was the tires not the hitch.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Thanks for the pics Steve

Steve, Thanks for sharing!! My first SSR I saw was a yellow

one at the Anaheim show. I opted for red..Head turner for

sure. Got 220 mils on mine so far .Heading for Kaleefornia

(Arnolds Cal ) this weekend. Should be fun! Lots of

relatives there.

I still wish it had a manual transmission!!!

Lady in the red SSR........Lizz:angel :angel

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I'll try and swing by the dealership this weekend and get some "up-close" pics of the SSR's hitch area. I'll post them as soon as practical. Take care everyone. :cool

Best Regards;
Steve

·
Premium Member
9,222 Posts
#910 Yellow showed up today - checked it out in the showroom - started sweating uncontrolably!!! Unfortunately, the sales guys weren't really very accomodating - it was sold, so it was locked up with the roof up.

Checked under the back end - very wide open. Should be fairly easy to rebuild a Trailblazer hitch to pull it through the license plate holder- Might have to play with the battery compartment a bit, but nothing major - definitely easier than the Sonoma - no spare to deal with.:)

·
Registered
705 Posts
you guys are nuts if you tow anything with this baby.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
I must be nuts...I bought the hitch package.
A small luggage trailer painted to match would
be perfect for travelling.
However, my immediate plans are to pull a trailer
in parades and such.
Nothing even close to 2500 lbs.

·
Premium Member
9,222 Posts
Not necessarily nuts, but a little off the wall, Maybe. I sell ski boats for a living, usually tow with a Duramax. I have a lowered 4 x 4 Sonoma that works great under certain circumstances. It's got airbags to keep it on the level. Not the ultimate tow vehicle, but it's typically short distances - I take a boat with me when I go to car shows. What's so nuts about that - No one would really pay attention, or necesarily want me in a car show with a work truck towing a boat. I'm there looking for customers - usually free entry, or at a very reasonable cost. I've got 10000 potential customers at some of these shows.

IS there anything out there that will attract more attention than rolling in with a red SSR?

The SSR is built on the Trailblazer frame, same engine and transmission. The blazer is rated at 7200 lbs - this baby could tow with the best of them, if properly set up. Heck - it weighs 4700 lbs - it's a truck. There may be issues with the tires (message from BMBLBEE), but that can be worked out.

Nothing aftermarket wheels with run flats can't fix.

I'll forward a couple of photos of the truck and boat - it might make more sense then.

·
Premium Member
9,222 Posts
Now - replace this with a red SSR - does it work for you?

·
Premium Member
9,222 Posts
Of course, the SSR would need a polished Magnacharger as well.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
The load range for the front tires is 1764 lbs each.
The load range for the rear tires is 2094 lbs each.
I don't know if this helps or confuses things.:confused

1 - 14 of 14 Posts