Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing all the oil changes on all of our cars and found something I would have never expected today. I use 6 quarts in all of the SSRs so I buy the 5 quart jugs and then I buy a case of 6 quarts from Costco. No problem there.

My wife has a Lincoln MKX that uses 6 quarts of 5W20 Mobil 1. I had ordered a 5 qt jug on line a couple weeks ago but needed the 6th quart and a filter. She was out running errands and I asked her to stop and pick up the quart of oil and filter. Gave her part numbers and pictures of what to get.
She stops at Walmart and gets a quart of Mobil 1 5W20 and the filter, so all is good. I go to fill the filter and did not notice the cap on the oil bottle but when I went to pour it in, the oil was used oil. Some Low Life had poured their old oil back in the bottle and returned it to Wal Mart and they put it back on the shelf. I was pretty ticked off at this point, because it is hot outside and now I have to go to Wal Mart, which I absolutely hate and avoid it at all costs if possible.

Went to customer service and had to explain it to them and get a refund for the oil and filter. I checked the other bottles and one more on the shelf had the cap messed with, like some one had pried it out to keep from breaking the band on the bottom of the cap. I took it over to the people in the automotive section but they looked like they could care less. They just set it aside. It will probably be back on the shelf later.

So check you quart bottles that the seal ring is good and look at the oil as you pour it.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,147 Posts
Crap. that really sucks. I get my oil at Walmart as well, about the only thing I go there for. I will have to remember this and check things as well, thanks!

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The jugs are foil sealed under the cap so easy to see on them. This was on a single quart bottle. They don't have the seal under the cap.

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,389 Posts
The jugs are foil sealed under the cap so easy to see on them. This was on a single quart bottle. They don't have the seal under the cap.
Sounds like someone that worked there to me.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,147 Posts
Guess I'm gettin' old. I just wait for the coupons and go to jiffy lube. Tell 'em what I want and 15 minutes later I'm on the road. Maybe I pay a few $$ more but I'm OK with that.
Too many stories, under filled, over filled, hardware torqued too tight or not tight enough, wrong oil, cheap filter, etc.
The odds are that you will never have a problem, but it's that small percentage that worries me in a big way :unsure:

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
3,993 Posts
Hmmmm maybe open it at the register and stick your finger in it so there won't be any questions if you have to go back :unsure::cool:

Nick

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I got the replacement I checked out and before I walked out of the store, I stopped and opened it right in front of the person at the door. You can't tell by looking at the oil in the bottle from the side because it is darker that way. But as soon as you take the lid off you can see if it is black or golden colored.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have heard of similar stories at Home Depot, with paint. Someone would buy a gallon of paint and replace it with water and take it back to the store for return.

·
Premium Member
30,876 Posts
I've seen crap like this before. Because some people think paying $8/qt is too much. But I also saw it with the boxed oil filters. Before they started shrink wrapping them, people would swap the more expensive M1 filters for chitty frams... then go buy the "fram" filter for $2.99.

Scum are everywhere.

·
Slingshot Rules!
69,017 Posts

I guess that's a big positive for Online Ordering . . .

Since the local shop that services The Bummer does not carry Mobil 1 High Mileage . . . at the owner's suggestion, I just bring my own. Over the last few years I have ordered it from WalMart and had it delivered so I am ready when they are.

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !

·
I have went to Jiffy Lube twice and both times were problematic. The first time resulted in $5K of engine work, and the 2nd (to a different location) a loose oil filter.. that luckily I caught not long after due to oil drips in my driveway.:( I shoulda learned the first time, but thought that with a different location I would ok. No such luck.

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
184 Posts
I have been doing all the oil changes on all of our cars and found something I would have never expected today. I use 6 quarts in all of the SSRs so I buy the 5 quart jugs and then I buy a case of 6 quarts from Costco. No problem there.

My wife has a Lincoln MKX that uses 6 quarts of 5W20 Mobil 1. I had ordered a 5 qt jug on line a couple weeks ago but needed the 6th quart and a filter. She was out running errands and I asked her to stop and pick up the quart of oil and filter. Gave her part numbers and pictures of what to get.
She stops at Walmart and gets a quart of Mobil 1 5W20 and the filter, so all is good. I go to fill the filter and did not notice the cap on the oil bottle but when I went to pour it in, the oil was used oil. Some Low Life had poured their old oil back in the bottle and returned it to Wal Mart and they put it back on the shelf. I was pretty ticked off at this point, because it is hot outside and now I have to go to Wal Mart, which I absolutely hate and avoid it at all costs if possible.

Went to customer service and had to explain it to them and get a refund for the oil and filter. I checked the other bottles and one more on the shelf had the cap messed with, like some one had pried it out to keep from breaking the band on the bottom of the cap. I took it over to the people in the automotive section but they looked like they could care less. They just set it aside. It will probably be back on the shelf later.

So check you quart bottles that the seal ring is good and look at the oil as you pour it.
I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in all of my vehicles, however I always buy the 5 quart jug and use one and then pour the sixth from a second jug into a one quart plastic bottle I keep for that purpose. Never had the problem you describe, but at Walmart the big jugs are substantially cheaper than buying a quart bottle so there is a savings to be had. Maybe I am just cheap!!:unsure:

·
Registered
167 Posts
When I come over I usually buy the 5 qt and bring it back with me in the hold of the plane as Walmart prices are much better than here. Mobil 1 5-30w is around $35 in the U.K also grabbed a few AC Delco filters at $4 a pop as they are around $13 here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts