Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend my wife,and I decided at the last minute to drive to the mountains. We left our home around 11:30 am and started North. We took I-75 to 411 then on into Tennessee. Got to Tellico where we got onto the Cherohala Skyway. I had never been on this road, so it was a first. It was a wonderful ride across the mountains. Weather was great, and so was the scenery. After getting into Robbinsville we decided to go on to Cherokee, and spend the night. After several stops at the motels in the area, which had no vacantcy posted on the front door instead of their marquee, we started calling around and finally found a Comfort Inn. That night I made my donation to Harrah's. The next morning my wife said she had always wanted to see Cade's Cove, so off to Gatlingburg. We finally wound up in Pigeon Forge where we had lunch. After lunch we made a left onto 321, which took us to Townsend. From there we went back into the park to Cade's Cove. Lots of traffic, which made for a 5 mph crawl through the park. At Rich Mountain Road we made a decision to take it back over to Townsend, and this is where my little truck really proved she was worth every dime I paid for it. This road is an old fire road which is maintained regulary, and has fine "pea" gravel on it. No guard rails, no homes on the park side of the mountain. My truck hugged every curve easily with no slippage, and no running hot. Everything worked just as it is supposed to do. Did see a wolve on the road so I had to put up the top to keep my wife from becoming hysterical. I tried to tell her he was more scaced of us, then we were of it, but she wouldn't believe me. After we got back to Townsend we cut south on the foothills parkway to 129. I had been down the dragon's tail before but not in this truck. It performed to a tee. Hugged every curve like it was a part of the road. We took highway 28 off 129 back to Franklin, N.C. and then home. All told we covered about 750 miles of road, and I enjoyed every minute of it. If anyone wants to plan a trip across the Cherohala, let me know and I'll be more than happy to help. I would have had pictures, but I forgot to pack my camera. :cool :flag :leaving

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,370 Posts
Pea gravel???!!! :eek :eek :eek

Blast

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Frank,

The wife and I made almost the exact same trip last month. Hit Cades Cove on a weekday, so there was NO traffic. (Kinda hard to explain what Cades Cove is all about to anyone who hasn't seen it before. huh?)

And I have to agree, I couldn't have thought of a better vehicle to admire the Great Smokie Mountains than in a top-down SSR!

BTW, when you were in Cherokee, you were only about 13 miles away from our forum member (GINA) who owns a motel in Maggie Valley. Good people! Look them up next trip.

·
Registered
97 Posts
:cool Sounds like a great trip, I have been down through that area before and it is a senic drive. We have alot of areas in WV like that and we have enjoyed our little truck the most on sunny days just going out and driving through the mountains with the top down. :ssr

·
Registered
170 Posts
perfect truck for the mountains

Hey guys and Gals, just got my dream machine [hillbilly corvette] I also live in the carolina mountains, and this ride is definitly made for these curves, a couple bags of reseed and fertilizer never got back to the house so quick and in style!! I try not to do all my errands all at once so I have a reason to go out again, Ha! Ever heard of catching rubber hauling a trailor, just kidding! Not! But seriously I love the stories about traveling these mountains, catch me around the Highlands-Cashiers area [if you can] 2 Otters :ssr

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am just so jealous!

Checked out the trip on some internet maps.

I am sitting behind a desk in Aberdeen, Scotland. It is grey outside and a typical 'heavy' rain is falling. It isnt warm. it isnt sunny and most of all it isnt where I want to be.

My SSR is in the car park and would look much better out on the road. :leaving

·
Thank You To Our Troops
19,853 Posts
Otter said:
Hey guys and Gals, just got my dream machine [hillbilly corvette] I also live in the carolina mountains, and this ride is definitly made for these curves, a couple bags of reseed and fertilizer never got back to the house so quick and in style!! I try not to do all my errands all at once so I have a reason to go out again, Ha! Ever heard of catching rubber hauling a trailor, just kidding! Not! But seriously I love the stories about traveling these mountains, catch me around the Highlands-Cashiers area [if you can] 2 Otters :ssr
Welcome and congratulations!!!!
So I guess there is another red one in these parts!!!! Were just over the mountain here in Maggie. (Isn't everything here just over a mountain)
Noticed under your profile you are also an innkeeper. Cool, so am I. Now if we just had time to go enjoy them!!!! :ssr

·
Registered
6 Posts

We did this trip in June of 1990 in a brand new 89 Vette Convert. Trip was all the way from Calgary Alberta to Washintgon DC and then back north to Ontario and then back to Calgary on US 2.

Was a great trip and relly loved the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Your post brings back memories of Pigeon Forge, Maggies Valley, Land between the Lakes.

We also made stops at Bloomington Gold, Corvette plant in Bowling Green, and of course the Smithsonian.

Currently we have a 2005 Aqua Blur SSR and 2005 White C6 Convert. The SSR has all the matching GM Aqua Blur Accessories and Magnaflow Exhaust.

The SSR is my favourite.

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

Yep next year National event in Maggie Valley. Now who’s going to head the committee? :party

·
Thank You To Our Troops
19,853 Posts
REBEL said:
Yep next year National event in Maggie Valley. Now who’s going to head the committee? :party
I will be glad to coordinate all activities in Maggie. (Wheels Through Time Museum, meals, rides, etc. )
I know all the restaurant owners.
I also know a lot of good roads to take rides on.
I can provide lodging at my place for those interested. We have a covered pavillion where we can cookout, party, or whatever. My husband brings out the karoke machine to!
:thumbs :ssr :)

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Gina said:
I will be glad to coordinate all activities in Maggie. (Wheels Through Time Museum, meals, rides, etc. )
I know all the restaurant owners.
I also know a lot of good roads to take rides on.
I can provide lodging at my place for those interested. We have a covered pavillion where we can cookout, party, or whatever. My husband brings out the karoke machine to!
:thumbs :ssr :)
You had me until you said karoke :lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts