Chevy SSR Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
ricardo said:
okay so why does Jim G's car turn into a rhino?

anyone else notice that??????
Guess who hasn't been paying attention! :lol

It's a long long story. For this I feel justified in saying "try searching first for elephant then for rino." :reddevil

edit: Also my truck isn't back from the dealer.
The replacment radio isn't here yet.

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Hey beer

Not to miller up your "Shiny" thread, I have a request.

Penelope knows about the lineup at the bottom of your posts and would like to have a place there. I can only ask, but she is getting "pushy" with me so I better say something before she goes off the deep end. I'll attach a pix and you tell me if it will work or not.

Now back to the "Shiny" story.

P/P

Peace :flag

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
okay okay so that was a fun little history lesson and geez, i never noticed before jim's avatar or maybe i simply blocked it from my memory. :lol

you learn something new everyday!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Rats!

I'm not getting my truck back till maybe Tuesday. When the dealer replaced the radio he discovered a number of clips missing in the dashboard. But rather than putting it back together the way it was, he's replacing them, but the clips are part of a subassy and not available separatly. Good service on his part.

So no reports about the exhaust, yet.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Ooooo...

OK! It's back.

There were three items I sent my truck in for. Exhaust install, radio, and pothole damage.

Pothole damage:
Well it drives straight again, that's good! But not quite smooth, the rim isn't making a lot of vibration just enough that I notice. I'll be replacing that rim.

I guess I didn't stress it hard enough, I wanted them to be sure and get the steering wheel level. They flubbed it. :mad It's way off to the right now. Better than halfway to 1 o'clock.

The Radio:
I claimed a warranty repair on the autovol. The radio was pulled and replaced with what may or may not be a refurbished unit. I can't prove that the autovol is working any better in this unit. But my reception is now VERY GOOD. Announcers used to lisp all the time and I had three different NPR stations programmed for use at different places in my commute. I only need one now. :)

The Exhaust:
Ahh. I added a Corsa touring exhaust.
  • Cruising is quieter, at all speeds, very nice.
  • It is louder when accelerating. The harder the acceleration the louder the sound.
  • I need to have someone else do a drive by for me so I can hear it from street side before is say if it's too loud.
  • My initial impression is that the burble of the stock was... richer? more Something?
  • Last I was surprised by something that must be atypical, above 4000rpm, under heavy load, it whistles, quite loudly. I'll be calling TBYRNE Motorsport or Corsa about that. It's gotta be something simple.
  • The stock was much quieter at high rpm, like when highway passing.

This exhaust has a bar that ties both tail pipes together and spaces them properly. The stock exhaust didn't have that. Anyway part of it shows when you look between the tip and the bumper fascia. I'll be painting that with matte black oven paint.

Pause...

I just came in from some street side testing. 0-30 WOT testing on the street in front of the house. It's louder than it was, but (and it's only my opinion) I don't think it has crossed over into the obnoxious. There is no hard echoing edge to the sound.
If you are on the street, it will be heard. Inside the house, it’s not noticeable, especially if the acceleration is modest.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
An update...

I spoke with a rep at Corsa this morning. I'm told that the y-pipe from the 05 exhaust should fix the whistle. And that a swap will be sent. They are very interested to get the original back for testing. I'm also under the impression that the delay on producing 05 exhausts was because of whistling.

There's not doubt in my mind that Corsa did the right thing delaying sales for 05's till that was corrected.

I was told, and I'm paraphrasing now, that the whistle was happening on some early 04's. I got the impression that it was unpredictable and rare.

It was also mentioned that the 05 version of the exhaust is currently in production and that it is what will be shipped for all model yr SSR's.

Some more observations about the differences:

When cruising, I've noticed that I now turn down the radio by about 3 clicks. The problem here is, I broke the rule of only changing one thing at a time. I don't know if the lowered volume is specifically because cruising exhause noise is lower, or if it's because the head unit was also changed.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Update

I have the replacment Y pipe for my Corsa exhaust. Here is a photo.

The difference is that the branch is very close to the muffler.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,381 Posts
I really like the looks of the Corsa system exhaust tips, but my gut feeling is that after spending tons of money to smooth out the flow at the headers, that the Y will be the trouble spot for turbulence. Someone had posted photos of a full dual system with a x crossover - that looked like it would flow really well.

I think I'll hold out for a true dual system for a while.

Ray

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I didn't mention it but this is actually an 05 part. It's what will be shipping for 03-05 year model SSR's.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts