Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read about the list of a few options. I would like to hear about these and what the exact description of some that aren't very well described such as the cargo compartment trim, running boards etc. Is there a site or addy i can go to to get a good description of the options, maybe with pics?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Chevy Launch URL

I don't have authorization to enter ChevyLaunch.com and therefore, your URL doesn't work. What now? :confused

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The GM Canada web site has the build your own feature enabled for the SSR. Prices are in Canadian $ but it will give you some idea of the relative value of the various options.

http://www.gmcanada.com/english/vehicles/chevytrucks/ssr/ssr_overview.html

I have had one on order since 2001 and almost CHOKED when I priced one out with all the options: $80,410.00 which converts to $60,200.00 US at today's exchange rate. I can get another Vette for 1/3 less money.

I'm starting to have serious reservations about this vehicle.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is that build price, or dealer price? those numbers are scary!!

·
Premium Member
9,223 Posts
Canadian MSRP

:agree

If any other Canadians are on this thread, please post information, or email me. I'm out of the country for two weeks, but I've been dealing with GM Customer relations for the last two months on this, and I've got a letter ready to go to Michael Grimaldi, president of GM Canada. Several purchasers with the same concern would carry more impact than my lone voice in the wilderness. If anyone is interested, I can fill them in on what my experience with GM has been like so far.

. Canadian MSRP is 69995. US is 41995. At current exchange rates, MSRP should be in the $56000 range. Pricing is out of whack by at least $14000. I've been in contact with several dealers - they aren't too thrilled either. I'll be looking in the US for a truck. GMCustomer Relations is aware of it, and I've received several calls from them - they really want to know who I would use as a servicing dealer. The only weapon they have at this stage is to block warranty, because all checks with the government agencies involve indicate there are no barriers to import. I think they were trying to make sure Canadian SSR's didn't go to the US - it was a major problem with Duramax trucks. but they didn't account for the rapid change in exchange rates.

I have charted MSRPs on the XLR, Avalanche, Escalade, Impala, and none have anywhere near the price discrepancy - I couldn't buy a XLR in the US and come out ahead.

Back in two weeks - I'll check back then.

·
Premium Member
9,223 Posts
Forgot to mention - the October issue of Truck Builder has some awesome photos and a three page pin-up of the show truck GM has been featuring - it's the yellow/purple SSR with the 6 litre engine.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sent a long message to Flassh and will add a few more comments here.

Pricing on vehicles in Canada vs US has been a big issue for all manufacturers for a long time. For the last several years the low Canadian $ and the Canadian prices on cars established a huge market for moving Canadian vehicles into the US (I heard a number of 200,000 at one point). I have even moved a couple vehicles south (PT Cruiser when they first came out and a 2000 Harley Davidson F150 that I had driven for two years) and gotten much better value than selling them in Canada. This caused GM to come out with a bulliten to all US dealers that voided the warranty on all Canadian cars (and trucks) that were registered in the US with less than 12,000 km or less than six months after delivery to the original purchaser in Canada. Canadian's travelling on vacation had no problem if the vehicle was registered in Canada. I would not be surprised if GM Canada came out with a similar order to their dealers here.

There is also a big discrepancy ($10,000) on the 2004 Corvette due to the current exchange rate and I do agree that many dealers will (or should be) concerned. Canadian buyers of high end vehicles tend to be very well informed of prices on both sides of the border and will go to great lengths to avoid paying high Canadian prices if they have an option.

I'm not sure what the solution is but I'll be damned if I would pay $80,000 for a loaded SSR when I could get a 2004 Escalade EXT to replace my 2002 model for $5,000 to $10,000 less than a SSR. Might need to wait for a used SSR to come on the market in the US or have a friend buy one and sell it to me used. I also expect many of the dealers importing into the US will turn the tide and start shipping to Canada.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts