Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 has noticable orange peel on most panels. I asked the service manager at my selling dealer about this being a paint warranty item, he said no, that's pretty much what all the chevys look like. He wasn't kidding. I looked at three Cobalt SS's, '06 models fresh off the truck, and all three (red, black, and silver) had worse orange peel than my SSR. All the '06 Silverados out in the lot? Orange peel.

So, I call GM customer care to ask about the paint warranty. The lady on the phone told me to take it to another Chevrolet dealer (my selling dealer does not have a body shop). I did this today. The service writer was sympathetic, but the body shop manager told me essentially the same thing the service manager did at my selling dealer, and took me over to a Corvette to show me clearcoat panels with orange peel.

So, unless I appeal this up the food chain (and doesn't look promising), I either live with the orange peel, or get it color sanded at my expense.

Then the issue would be, color sanding worth the $800 it will cost, any need to shoot more clearcoat, what issues remain about thinner clear coat without a reshoot.....

Yeep. Some help and advice needed and appreciated. Want my Smokin Asphalt, once it's claybarred and waxed up, to have a mirror finish, not look like a cheap bass boat.

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Donnysan

I just had mine clayed blocked-wet sanded and rubbed out. I had great body man, but he was unable to remove all of the orange peel due to thin clear coat. The clear coat is too thin. Although now my paint job looks 80% better. there is no way a full body paint detail will remove all of it. Here is the link about what was done.
http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6170&highlight=full+paint+detail

·
Registered
56 Posts
OK - well I suppose I am lucky - the paint on my 03 SSR is a smooth as a babies skin!

Just cos a dealer can point to another car with a similar defect it is still a defect at the end of the day - OK there may be alot of them.

In Fords case with the Pinto it was every one had a defective gas tank - didnt mean it wasnt a problem - just taht everyone had the same problem.

Keep pushing as I am sure that GM execs dont have orange peel for paint!

Pity the Scottish weather will destroy my paint, wheels and good looks however good they started out!

:cool

·
Registered
893 Posts
Asphalt Black?Brown?Gray

Donnysan, your talking about orange peel........Have you looked at you Asphalt Black in the bright sun.........Is it all the same color black......If it is you are very lucky........GM seems to be satisified to meet a quality standard of "Just Good Enough To Get By".....not only on paint, but on most everything else.....If you don't believe it ....Just walk around any GM dealership and take a look......The sight will amaze and disgust you....... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
95 Posts
With the exception of one Corvette, the paint on all of my previous Chevy's has never been very impressive. But overall the paint on my Aqua Blur is excellent! Very smooth and other then inside the bed channels pretty good coverage.
It's probably because it's a new color, but I consistently get many positive comments about my "custom" paint job.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Paint issues

Please keep in mind that this is a regular production vehicle. I have yet to see any regular production vehicle from any mfg that does not have orange peel. Even custom paint jobs have orange peel, which is why the vehicle is wet sanded and buffed. Do you really expect GM or any other mfg to color sand and buff production vehicles? The EPA more or less regulates what gets sprayed on the vehicle. I am surprised production paint looks as good as it does.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The paint weighs too much...

At neer 5000 lbs, we don't want to add more weight. :lol

Seriously, the paint is pretty good on my 04 slingshot yellow. I am going to drive if for a while longer and then have some work done on it.

Scott

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Why do you think I bought an Aqua Blur... Lots of the little discrepancies are not noticable unless you're at very close range. I just take off my glasses and she Looks perfect. :lol

·
Registered
421 Posts
Paint Problems

Orange peel is considered a "normal" variant. My dad owned and operated paint and body shops. So, I was sanding and masking cars by the time I was 10.

Peeling, cracking, runs and fisheye are unacceptable. But orange peel is pretty well the norm. It looks better (or worse, depending on your opinion) with metalic or metal flake paints (such as Aqua Blur), as opposed to flat colors (such as Smokin' Asphalt).

The orange peel effect can be pre-run rippling of either the base color coat and/or the clear coat. So, you could wet sand your clear coat clean off and still have the orange peel.

Just wash it and enjoy it.

:)

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,202 Posts
now you understand why

I paint every new vehicle I've ever owned, and usually as soon as I can get it in my shop. One week, two weeks, or a couple month's, what ever it takes to get rid of the orange peel effect.

1977 gmc.... painted 1 week after purchase(had to line up a building to spray in)
1978 gmc.....painted same week after purchase(nough said)
1990 gmc.....painted two weeks after purchase(had one in shop needed finishing)
2002 gmc.....painted one month after purchase (had to take it deer hunting first)
2003 SSR.....painted one year after purchase(had to build cash flow back up first)

Just can't stand factory finishes

Attachments

·
Registered
421 Posts
Fuzzy

Fuzzy,

What you do is not auto painting. It is pure art. It looks like quality to the 10th degree. Chip Foose should use you! Or does he already?

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Orange ya glad??!

My buddy brought over his new 600SEL Mercedes the other day, very expensive car, yep, it was black, and Orange Peel everywhere! I pointed it out and he was blown away! You'd think MB would do a better job?! But that's the nature of the mass production, my dad said "If you want better, do it yourself, or have someone that knows what they're doin, do it the right way!"

GR

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
wildcat66 said:
Just got to say, if the Aqua Blur had a problem, could you tell? The changes in the colors would distract and hide any flaws!:)
This statement is very true. When I took my car in to begin the porocess of a custom paintjob, it was pointed out to me that the hood had a slight dent in it up by the windshield. It was after I ran my hand up and over it that I felt it, too. As far as the Clearcoat" goes, it was found that the layer of clearcoat is almost an afterthought, because the coating on my car was less then paper thin, and was already starting to peal back by one wheel. Makes you wonder soometimes, just what it is you are paying for when you buy a new car.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
An off the wall thought!

At some point in time, I was thinking that the orange peel affect might be done on purpose. Why you ask? Well why does a golf ball have dimples in it? the reason is that it flies farther than a completely smooth one. And the reason is that the wind resistance is less (something to do with resistance of air over the air in the dimple is less than the air over the actual surface of the golf ball). So I always wondered if you would ever see one of those high MPG cars sprinkled in dimples. Someone actually sells a dimple tape that you place on edges of the vehicle (like top of windshield) to reduce wind drag. So in any case, I always wondered if the orange peel paint had less air resistance that a smooth paint job.

ps. I might have too much time on my hands.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts