Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The '04 that I have been working on has had a myriad of problems, one being the ding, ding, ding, SERVICE BRAKE SYSTEM. We replaced the ABS Module. stilling dinging, I discovered the brake petal would go to the floor with the engine on, firm petal engine off. We replaced the brake booster, same ding, ding, but now we had a petal that only went half way to the floor. The master cylinder was suspected as the culprit. Replaced the master cylinder, good firm petal, driven 7 blocks, Service Brake System, ding, ding, ding. The owner said he released the accelerator and the truck felt like the brakes were being applied. He got it back to the shop that did the work and it was determined that now that we had a good master cylinder applying increased pressure it caused the internal of the brake lines to fail, blocking the pressure from bleeding back from the wheel cylinders.

When I was bleeding the brakes after installing the brake booster I asked the owner when was the last time the brake fluid was replaced. Answer, never.

So if you have an '03, 04, 05, 06 and the brake fluid has not been changed every 5000 miles or 4 to 5 years as recommended, you are betting on 15, 14, 13, or 12 year old GM brake lines with the crucd that has been eating on them inside for all that time on a 5000 lb high performance vehicle.

My brake fluid has been changed regularly as recommend but........... as soon as I am back mobile again after my operation I WILL be changing all of my brake lines.

Jack

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,739 Posts
When they talk about Brake likes failing and not letting fluid return to the Master Cylinder, they talking about the RUBBER lines on the front Calipers.

Nick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts