Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess the autocross is taking a toll on my tires because I have noticed the tread wear indicators in the center of the rear tires only are showing. Three of the tread wear indicators indicate a need for replacement. Went to tirerack.com and was surprised, they mentioned, just like my manual, we should be getting 36K out of these tires too! Why would they wear only in the center? I raise the air pressure during autocross events but lower it back when done racing. This prevents the sidewalls from collapsing on the course with all those hairpin turns at high speed. Here are the stats on our tires from tirerack:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...A&partnum=94HR0RSA&vehicleSearch=true&index=0 ;)

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
cruzned said:
I raise the air pressure during autocross events but lower it back when done racing.
Being an ex-autocross racer, I'd say this is the answer. Believe me, even if you don't "smoke" the tires during a run, you really scrub off some rubber while racing. And with the higher pressures, BINGO, it comes off the center section of the tread.

Goodyear will really LOVE you before this is all over!
:yesnod

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Buffy, you have confirmed my suspicions. I guess it is a small price to pay for the joys and thrills associated with the sport. :yesnod

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
cruzned said:
Thanks Buffy, you have confirmed my suspicions. I guess it is a small price to pay for the joys and thrills associated with the sport. :yesnod

Yep...... Boys and their toys! Nothing wrong with that!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You hit the nail on the head Wildcat. A lot of my vette friends do just that. They trailer wheels and tires to the site and put em on for autocross and then put the street tires back on. Most of em doin that are running slicks and they have a whole lot more HP than I have or ever will.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Slicks

Ed,

Well soon you will have your own slicks :)

I have over 24,000 on my tires now. The tread looks great, but the stick is starting to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts