Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Come this Thursday morning, about daylight, my lovely wife and I are heading out from Fresno in our REDLINE RED SSR for points north, across Oregon and Washington, all the way to Victoria, BC! (...that's British Columbia, for those of you in Rio Linda... hee, hee). Our route takes us up the San Joaquin Valley, past Mount Shasta, and into the deep forest of northern California.

First overnight stop is Crater Lake, in southern Oregon (deepest lake in the US, and one of the most photographed places on earth - can't wait to take an SSR shot there!). Then, on up, winding through the Cascades, through misty, forested valleys, past a jillion waterfalls (that's why they call them the Cascade Mountains), to Portland, home of the "freeze-dried hippies", and on to our next stop, Seattle, (great coffee - which we will need, at that point).

Then, Saturday morning, VERY early, we will drive the red roadster onto the CAR FERRY and sail over Victoria! This is our second visit to a magniificent, very British city (also the capital of BC). My wife, the garden princess, is dying to see Butchart Gardens. She also insists on High Tea at the waterfront Empress Hotel.

Then Sunday, it's back in Seattle, TO WATCH MY BULLDOGS TAKE ON THE WASHINGTON HUSKIES - WHAT A DOGFIGHT!!!

:party

Then, on Monday, hopefully without a hangover, it's back on the road, this time to Gray's Harbor, Washington, down across the Columbia River, and then, all the way down the magnificent PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) to Tillamook, Oregon for some cheese, and on to Gold Beach.

Finally, on down the PCH to Mendocino (beautiful, foggy and historic), and then back to Fresno/Clovis. Pictures will be taken, and I promise to post 'em, along with shot's of some cool pinstriping!

Cheers,

Randy :flag

·
Premium Member
9,222 Posts
Hi, RedRoadster

I've done a very similar trip - the coast highway was awesome - you'll love Victoria - I have 2 daughters living there, and we always look forward to the trip. Itching to get there with the SSR. We always seem to be carrying something, or moving someone to a new apartment, so it's the Duramax crew lately.

One bit of advice, though. When you get to the collection booth (both ways), ask, beg, cry, get on your knees, do whatever you need to, but ask to be on the truck deck before they assign you a lane. If you get lucky and are surrounded by transports on the lower deck, you're safe from dings. The upper car deck is extremely tightly packed, and door dings are (almost) inevitable. I've never taken the SSR across, but even with our Sonoma, we won't leave the upper deck till everyone else is upstairs.

PS - don't miss the kettle corn booth at the Tsawassen terminal. The salmon candy is also pretty darned good.

Good luck

Ray :lurk

I'm off to Orlando for our Supra/Moomba dealer meeting - Club Med sounds like a not bad destination for a couple of days - look forward to lots of news on the site when I get back. :seeya

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Road trip

Hello Redroadster, sounds like a great trip, We were at Buchart Gardens earlier this year, your wife will love it. I've taken a few road trips but nothing that long yet.
Eleven hundred miles was the longest and that was up through the Central Valley to Sacramento and then over to the coast and back home. I was born and raised in Fresno and lived in Clovis for a few years. Been down in SoCal now for about ten years. We get back up to that area several times a year. Maybe on one of our trips we can get together for coffee. Always like to meet SSR owners every chance I get. Best of luck on your trip

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
In northern Cal., Klamath is absoutely awesome. You should get a pic of your SSR in front of the statues of Paul Bunyan and his Ox, Babe! I would definately get a shot with Mt. Baker and or Mt. Rainier while your up that way. Crater lake is very cool too! We are envious of your trip. Enjoy and post pics!:) :)

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
San Joaquin Valley / Kingsburg

Hey now - lloger ~ and any other SSR owners:

IF your planning a trip on Hwy 99 - I'd be more than happy to brew up a pot of coffee (or meet at the Starbucks at the Conejo exit) and talk SSR's... PM me and I'll give details/phone #'s etc...

I still haven't met up w/ redroadster - but you have an open invite too.. There is a poker run supporting our troops on Saturday 9-11 from Visalia and ends in Hanford - it'd be too cool to get a few SSR's gathered for that!

As I've mentioned before - my first road trip in my SSR was from Missoula Montana back to California (1700 miles) - unfortunately it was when I took delivery last December - and just getting home was a challenge due to weather and road conditions, so I couldn't stray off the Interstate... Crater Lake was on my list - but a storm was due in and I had to beat it home...

redroadster: Take and POST phots of your trip!

3) I-90 out of Montana - Road turned to slush a few miles from this shot...
4) Columbia River in the A.M.
1) Cockpit View of the Columbia - storm a brewin...
2) Mt Hood looms
5) Finally back to California!!! Last leg was from Weed CA (Mt. Shasta area) to home!

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kwhopper...

Oh, man!!! It looks to me, Keith, from those pics, like your trip home from Montana was an ADVENTURE, to say the least.

I like the idea of a drive from Visalia to Hanford on 9/11 to support our troops. We get back from Washington on the 8th, so I am there! "Have SSR, will cruise..."

If you will provide details, I will show up.

Cheers,

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Support the Troops

I think it starts at 2pm - from A&W on Mooney Blvd.

I'll verify and post the details when I get off work...

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Bulldog Victory

Hey redroadster - glad you were able to see the 'dawgs win one on the road!!!

The 9/11 poker run starts at 2pm at the A&W on Mooney - ends at Aerodogs in Tulare...

I'm in Kingsburg - bout 1/2 way from Clovis to Visalia - I'll be leavin at about 1pm - so If you want to meet up prior - let me know...

Where are the photos from your trip???

·
Registered
601 Posts
Mine was on my way back from Chicago about a two weeks ago. We had the top down almost all the way home. We put it later in the night because my girlfirend got cold. We started our trip at 5:30 pm eastern time. it is a 12 hour trip from chicago to DC. It was nice to see the country side on the way back, since it rained all the way to Chicago.

Good luck with your trip

·
Registered
349 Posts
Ultimate SSR Road Trip

In a nutshell, my ultimate SSR roadtrip was the one-way trip across the Mojave desert from Corona, CA to Flagstaff, AZ. The scenery was beautiful, especially when I saw the "Welcome to Arizona" sign on I-40, which put California in my rear view mirror permanently. :seeya

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Return from the Road Trip!

We got in last night, around 10:30 pm. Drove 11 hours from Gold Beach, Oregon. Man, what a trip!

Kwhopper, you are right - it was GREAT watching the Bulldogs put the hurt on the Huskies, 35-16. Also, I am interested in the drive. I will see you at the Visalia A&W, on Mooney Boulevard, @ 2:00 pm Saturday.

As to photos, I took a bunch with a great new camera, a Canon A75. As soon as I get them sorted out, I will post some great shots of Crater Lake, Seattle Space Needle, Victoria's Empress Hotel, Butchart Gardens, the spectacular Oregon Coast, etc.

By the way, I logged 2,587 miles in seven days. The red rocket performed flawlessly! What a great car! By the way, the Canadians flipped out! Sitting in line at the ferry at Schwartz Bay, to cross over to Tsawassen, BC, we had people standing in line (!) to ask questions about the SSR. It was great.

More later, when I post the pics (I never get tired of taking SSR shots with awesome backgrounds!).

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Good trip

May no the "ultimate" road trip - but went Austin last weekend through hill country - really pretty in early morning. Had to put the top up coming back - too hot - then it rained. Only downside was the kazillion love bugs that got plastered on the truck on the way back.

·
Premium Member
9,222 Posts
Hey, Randy - glad your trip went well - were you able to get onto the lower deck on the ferry?

Still hoping to make it to visit the girls before the weather turns sour and the toy gets parked for the winter.

Ray

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ferry rides...

Hey, Ray,

Well, the ferry rides were cool! Our first ride was in the very front of the deck, so, no room problems. Our second ride was at the very back - in fact, the last car on the boat! The deck loading-master official came over and raved about the SSR - even let me back up a little for a lot more room, so, no "ding" problems were encountered.

Thanks for your advice, just the same. Pictures are coming.....

Cheers,

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, Kwhopper...

Hey, Keith, I had a blast at the Poker Run. It was good to meet you and your lovely lady, Colleen.

We got to see some classic machines and I had a GREAT chili-dog! I don't think I won anything, with my measly two Jacks... Oh, well...

Cheers,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts