Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had trouble opening the driver's door from the outside. It usually took about three pulls to get it to open. After studying the problem, I found that I could adjust the handle rod. Now its works like butter.
Remove the inner door panel and pull back the water shield to gain access to the outer handle. Remove the rod clip and then remove the door handle. By turning the rod at the top end, you can lengthen the travel of the rod, thus releasing the latch sooner. I turned the rod counter-clockwise three turns and it made all the difference in the world. It would be smart to apply a good grease to the pivot points on the handle. With 105K miles and 12 years of service, I guess it just needed compensation for wear. I hope this helps someone. Wayne

·
Registered
146 Posts
Outside driver's door handle was getting hard to work. Stopped at Autozone to buy the cheap plastic pieces that hold the rod into the latch. Got home, closed the door. Went and got some tools. The door won't open now. Talk about cutting it close.

I took the door apart, unscrewed the exterior latch rod three rotations and tested. Door works great. But when I tried to slide the plastic piece over to grab the rod, it broke. But I had new pieces. Fiddled around until I got one to fit and put it all back together. Door now works very well.

Thank you for the post!

The glue holding the clear plastic moisture barrier was a little stiff and did not want to hold well. I took a paint stripping heat gun to the glue and carefully heated the old glue. It stuck a lot better.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,027 Posts
Had two recent episodes with outside door handle.

One, would open sometimes and sometimes not at all.

Removed door panel.

Found LOOSE torque screw that holds handle and spring out several turns.

This caused the handle to "****" and bind.

Tightened handle screw, all is good.

Second, very hard to pull to open from outside, sprayed door handle assembly with Silicone spray, all is good.

Dicktator

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2004. We found the plastic part on the door handle broke. Don't know if only the plastic can be replaced or I have to buy entire door handle. And will all year models fit?

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
@Judy Childs
Welcome from central Ohio.
Is it the black plastic part for the inside handle?
If yes, then there is a repair kit available.
I would suggest you start a new thread to attract more attention.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts