Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched and couldn't find earlier thread about this, but I think it was Mike in AZ that was working on this. Found this on ebay...8039797829...anyone have any experience with these?

·
OP
8,226 Posts
Mike in AZ

ssr blur said:
Searched and couldn't find earlier thread about this, but I think it was Mike in AZ that was working on this. Found this on ebay...8039797829...anyone have any experience with these?

Wait on Mike in AZ to finish with the schematics. He has done much research on this upgrade and is in the process of writing the installation instructions for the manufacturer. They are corvette mirrors, probably not what you found on ebay.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
OP said:
Wait on Mike in AZ to finish with the schematics. He has done much research on this upgrade and is in the process of writing the installation instructions for the manufacturer. They are corvette mirrors, probably not what you found on ebay.
I thought 8039797829 were just stick on's with a wire to the turn signal. They look cheap. I don't think it's the whole mirror nor the mirror Mike is working on.

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments...I should have looked at this more closely before I even posted it...the price alone should have been a clue.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,368 Posts
ssr blur said:
Yes, those are cheap ones. If you want some soon, these on EBay are available if the SSR are sized like the Vette (item 8038975152), non heated are also avail from the same vendor.

I saw an article many months ago on another forum where someone built thier own with the mirror they had, it looked just like the real thing but took alot more work that I would want to do.

I am curious to see what Mike's solution is.

:seeya

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
Mirrors now available

I have been cleared by KW Muth to offer the Signal Mirrors to Fanatics. :thumbs The documentation for the installation is complete and the mirrors are available. I am able to pass along a pretty good discount (~$60 on the heated ones) from the MSRP to Fanatics. You can PM me for exact pricing.

Here's the web site:

http://www.kwmuth.com/products/kits/220-0190.htm

You will probably recognize the vehicle in the Installation Instruction photos.:jester And Yes, plastic spoons work just fine.... be sure you have several spares.

If you are not confident in your ability to install these, please seek professional help.:nono I would highly recommend someone familiar with the SSR do the work, as the most challenging part is running the wiring through the boot between the door and the body. Removing and installing the glass in the housing will give you a real pucker factor when "snapping" it out of and into the mounting pivot knuckle.:eek The wiring from the passenger side is best run across the main lower brace behind the glove box. I recommend removing the glove box to facilitate this. The rest is pretty generic.

The mirror assembly does not have to be removed from the vehicle to change the mirror. You can remove the OEM face, remove the mirror housing, string the wires through the housing into the door and then re-attach the mirror housing to the door before installing the new mirror face... This is how I did mine and I liked it better than wrestling with a nicely painted mirror on the workbench. You will, however, need a second pair of hands and some door protection here.

I have had these on my vehicles for years and love 'em. The company is first rate and stand behind their product without question. I recognize that you have to give up the photochromic feature of the driver's side-view mirror, but (IMO) it is well worth the trade-off for the arrows. The photos were taken in my garage (yes, that is a purple wall) with the flourescent lights on and the door open during the day. Yes, they really are that bright.:eek

There is an alternate wiring method that will light up both mirrors when the brake lights are on..... If this is a burning desire, PM me and I'll share the wiring hook-up.

Regards all,

Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
RE: Muths

Mike,

I can't wait until they are here! I have run them on my motorcycles for years and really help increase awareness. The only problem I see if that 98% of the AZ drivers never use their signals anyway. Here in Tucson, it is rare to see one used or, in the case of the snow bird blue hairs, they start their motors and then turn on their signals for the duration of the trip!

See you soon,

Dorsey:lol

·
Registered
253 Posts
<Mirrors>

Wow, I can't believe GM missed this. we should already have these on our SSRs, that being said, I won't make that same mistake!!!! Great work Mike!!!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Fantastic!

Mike in AZ said:
I have been cleared by KW Muth to offer the Signal Mirrors to Fanatics. :thumbs The documentation for the installation is complete and the mirrors are available. I am able to pass along a pretty good discount (~$60 on the heated ones) from the MSRP to Fanatics. You can PM me for exact pricing.

Here's the web site:

http://www.kwmuth.com/products/kits/220-0190.htm

You will probably recognize the vehicle in the Installation Instruction photos.:jester And Yes, plastic spoons work just fine.... be sure you have several spares.

If you are not confident in your ability to install these, please seek professional help.:nono I would highly recommend someone familiar with the SSR do the work, as the most challenging part is running the wiring through the boot between the door and the body. Removing and installing the glass in the housing will give you a real pucker factor when "snapping" it out of and into the mounting pivot knuckle.:eek The wiring from the passenger side is best run across the main lower brace behind the glove box. I recommend removing the glove box to facilitate this. The rest is pretty generic.

The mirror assembly does not have to be removed from the vehicle to change the mirror. You can remove the OEM face, remove the mirror housing, string the wires through the housing into the door and then re-attach the mirror housing to the door before installing the new mirror face... This is how I did mine and I liked it better than wrestling with a nicely painted mirror on the workbench. You will, however, need a second pair of hands and some door protection here.

I have had these on my vehicles for years and love 'em. The company is first rate and stand behind their product without question. I recognize that you have to give up the photochromic feature of the driver's side-view mirror, but (IMO) it is well worth the trade-off for the arrows. The photos were taken in my garage (yes, that is a purple wall) with the flourescent lights on and the door open during the day. Yes, they really are that bright.:eek

There is an alternate wiring method that will light up both mirrors when the brake lights are on..... If this is a burning desire, PM me and I'll share the wiring hook-up.

Regards all,

Mike
Mike,

This is fantastic! I will PM you for the instructions and for the pricing.

:seeya E :seeya

Orange SSR :ssr

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
ECurtis said:
Mike,

This is fantastic! I will PM you for the instructions and for the pricing.

:seeya E :seeya

Orange SSR :ssr

Installation Instructions are located on Muth's site. Just follow the URL.

My pricing and terms are in a PM to you.

Good to hear from you again,

Mike

·
OP
8,226 Posts
rearview

Hey Mike, what is the update on the rearview mirror with temp/compass?

If any of you were looking for this, Mike is able to provide it at a VERY low price, Ordered mine a couple of weeks ago, can't wait......

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
Gentex with compass & Temp

Owen,

I should have gotten it in the shipment from the Wholesaler yesterday. I'll call for the tracking number tomorrow.

I have 35 air dams and 25 fans to get shipped by Saturday noon. Focus is there right now. I also have a set of signal mirrors to install on FuryKay's red truck Sunday (if he gets it out of the shop) and a fan kit as well.

Once past the immediate work, I'll start on the installation instructions for the Gentex K-60 for you. I appreciate you letting me use your mirror on my truck to prototype the application. I didn't want to offer it until I had the details of the SSR and the do-it-yourself kit finished. There must be a reason that GM didn't want to offer this and I need to understand it a little more.

Thanks for taking a leap of faith with me....

Regards,

Mike

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Mike in AZ said:

Regards all,

Mike
Just bring the turning signals with you and your hammer and duct tape and you can put them on my Twuck when I see you in Ruidoso. :cool

·
OP
8,226 Posts
Mike in AZ said:
Owen,

Regards,

Mike
No problem Mike, and thanks. I hope EVERYONE realizes on this site how much time and effort you put into improving our rides. And as I've said before, you do this for too little of a profit, if any. I also appreciate how you come up with ORIGINAL ideas or area for improvement, such as the air dam and fan kit. Also, everyone should realize that YOU and only YOU wrote and published the installation instructions for the signal mirrors for Muth, it is the least we can do to support you in this effort...
Later:leaving

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
Focks said:
Just bring the turning signals with you and your hammer and duct tape and you can put them on my Twuck when I see you in Ruidoso. :cool

I'll bring a second hammer just in case we break Mike's. Should have at least one install done by then..:cool

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mike in AZ said:
Owen,

I should have gotten it in the shipment from the Wholesaler yesterday. I'll call for the tracking number tomorrow.

I have 35 air dams and 25 fans to get shipped by Saturday noon. Focus is there right now. I also have a set of signal mirrors to install on FuryKay's red truck Sunday (if he gets it out of the shop) and a fan kit as well.

Once past the immediate work, I'll start on the installation instructions for the Gentex K-60 for you. I appreciate you letting me use your mirror on my truck to prototype the application. I didn't want to offer it until I had the details of the SSR and the do-it-yourself kit finished. There must be a reason that GM didn't want to offer this and I need to understand it a little more.

Regards,

Mike
Mike...Not sure whether I got this on the tour or elsewhere, but I remember hearing the reason it was not offered was compass reliablility due to all the steel in the windshield header.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
ssr blur said:
Mike...Not sure whether I got this on the tour or elsewhere, but I remember hearing the reason it was not offered was compass reliablility due to all the steel in the windshield header.
Thanks, I've heard that too. I've also heard the "Top up" to "Top down" difference in the steel around the compass results in an error. I have not had much more detail than that. This is why I've got to do a little testing to see just how much error is induced.

I'll post it when I have it. Until then, I'll accept all the anecdotal data anyone has to offer.

Thanks again,

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Mike in AZ said:
Owen,

Regards,

Mike
I want the temp and compass also it it arrives before Sunday. I think I will have to see my BANKER for a LOAN!!!!Ha HA HA HA :seeya Kay

·
Yes, I have an ATTITUDE !
1,678 Posts
ddprice1 said:
Mike,

I can't wait until they are here! I have run them on my motorcycles for years and really help increase awareness. The only problem I see if that 98% of the AZ drivers never use their signals anyway. Here in Tucson, it is rare to see one used or, in the case of the snow bird blue hairs, they start their motors and then turn on their signals for the duration of the trip!

See you soon,

Dorsey:lol
Do you cruise speedway blvd, from UOA to the tanqaverde swamp meet ?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts