Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
I forgot who sent it in, but they installed a 180 thermostat and using a Predator unit, moved the limits of the cooling fans down to 195 or so.

They said it now runs cool as a cucumber!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Does it really over heat ???? Burp out antifreeze when you shut it off or ????These engines are designed to run hot , very,very hot , do not worry about a high guage reading.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
160 t-stat in mine along with the predator..Never gets hot and I feel better.

I adjusted both fan on/off temps and all is good...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Overheating?

I keep reading all these posts about the "overheating problem", yet I still haven't heard from anyone whose SSR has actually overheated. Is it just that the vehicle is designed to run hotter than we are used to seeing? My temperature needle skyrockets up while sitting in traffic on a hot summer day, but the fan(s) cool it back off right away. It does seem like it runs "too" hot, but who am I to judge a GM engineer who designed it this way?

Speaking of that, what do we give up by putting in a lower temperature t-stat? There has to be a reason for designing the engine and cooling system to run this hot. Is it an emission thing, do we get better mileage somehow running hotter, or what? There has got to be a good reason . . . . .

·
Registered
230 Posts
optimal temp is about 210 degrees, mileage and power, sometimes people
confuse lower coolant temps. as making more power, but air inlet temps.
are much more important for power production........................

·
Registered
413 Posts
dont look at the guage just drive and enjoy its not overheated unless its running out on the ground

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
My fuel milage with the diablosport and lower t-stat is +4 mpg. OBD2 comes out of loop well before the 160 temp. I have had my t-stat in for 2 weeks now and I have to say I would not have it any other way..

These trucks are made up north where it does not get 100 degrees plus 90% humidity...

I like it my way...If you are comfy with the needle up above 200 degrees then leave it alone. But a cold t-stat DOES not hurt this vehicle in anyway.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Absolute Minimum Engine Oil Operating Temperature is 150 Degrees To Drive Off Water Vapor And Other Contaminants , A Engine Can Be Hurt By Running It Too Cold ! A Cold Thermostat Might Not Bring Your Oil Up To Temperature.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
41chevcoe said:
Absolute Minimum Engine Oil Operating Temperature is 150 Degrees To Drive Off Water Vapor And Other Contaminants , A Engine Can Be Hurt By Running It Too Cold ! A Cold Thermostat Might Not Bring Your Oil Up To Temperature.

a cold thermostat will not affect the oil to a point where this is any consideration. Just the coolant.

·
Registered
102 Posts
SSR Overheat?

For you guys with the new LS2 in the 05's they will run hot and show about 210-220 on the guage in the truck. It's normal for the LS1 & LS2 motors. I had a 2000 C5 Vert and the high tems drove me nuts until I finally just quit worrying about it. Especially when I noticed during the hotter days when I'd be cruising with the top down AND the AC on NO high temps. :confused Turned out it was just the high fan settings GM puts in at the factory. Sounds VERY silly for a vehicle to run cooler while sitting and going stoplight to stoplight in 95 degree temps IF the AC is ON! If it really bothers you just get any progammer and change the fan on & off temps. That will cure 99% of it even without changing the T-stat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts