Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read about these overheating problems for 3 months now and never had a problem till today. :mad Sitting in the drive through line @ In-N-Out, : the temp guage went to 260 and the Hot Coolant display came on. I checked the fan with the ac & recirc on and it was not running. I need to mention this happen @ the beach in low 70 degree weather. Do these fans just go out?

RHShute

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
Epidemic - Happen to Me This Friday

I was at a stop light in the Friday Houston traffic and I noticed my temperature gauge was rising, it was at 240 deg F. I made it thru the light and the temp held less than 260. I stopped a few blocks down the road and shut off the engine.

I opened the hood and then started the SSR. The fan stayed stopped with the gauge at 260. Shut it down and called the dealer. The wrecker was there in about 20 minutes.

Towed it to the dealer. The sevice manager told me that this is the first SSR he has had come in for over heating.

Missing my SSR this weekend. Hope to have it back Monday.

I think I am going to buy an aftermarket fan and keep it in the back for when the warrantied fan dies again

"matjow" has posted an after market fan. I could not find the 14" 2700cfm he was talking about but did find the one listed below.

www.zirgo.com/

ZF14 - 14" 2383 CFM ZIRGO HIGH PERFORMANCE RADIATOR COOLING FAN
MSRP: $114.81 YOUR PRICE: $89.00

Skip

G

·
mileage when fan whent out

It would be nice if you would put the mileage the ssr had on it when fan went out.
Just to see if there is anything in common there, within a few thousand miles. Several of the fanatics seem to have their fans go out this summer. :seeya :flag

I have 17000 mi on mine it never goes over 210 wheather the ac is on or off. It is set up to come on at 205, the high speed. :ssr gets a lot of city drivin in Tulsa. Must be because Tulsa's a Kool city. :glol :glol :lol :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Milage

BobA said:
It would be nice if you would put the mileage the ssr had on it when fan went out.
Just to see if there is anything in common there, within a few thousand miles. Several of the fanatics seem to have their fans go out this summer. :seeya :flag
Can do !! 3796 minus 8 miles home so 3788 miles when I noticed it. Took a drive yesterday thur traffic, and like I said, it never went above 210

Richard Shute

·
Registered
421 Posts
When my third OEM fan went bad, I had had enough. The ONLY problem is that the fan stinks. If I get a fourth, it will go bad too. So, I made my own.

The OEM fan has a high speed relay and a low speed relay. The Saabs have been doing this for over 10 years now. On the Saabs, there was simply a capacitor in-line on the low speed wire until they built it into the fan like on the SSR. So I purchased a 14" Zirgo fan with 2670 CFM and took it apart along with my broken OEM fan and played a little Dr. Frankenstein.

Here's what I did:

1. Remove the old fan motor from the shroud.

2. Take a drill bit or a Dremel and grind out the center hole a little bit to fit the new Zirgo fan motor. The bolt holes do not line-up, so you can line-up one and then just drill 2 new ones in the plastic shroud. I used zip ties to secure the new fan motor to the OEM shroud.

3. Hammer the metal cover off the OEM fan to reveal its circuit board. This is the 2 speed logic. You will see that there are 4 bars that spring on the copper center of the fan, these are the 4 wire contacts for the OEM 2 speed logic. When you remove the logic board you will have the entire round circuit board and the OEM wire harness plug.

4. The black ground wire changes to brown. Follow the brown wire through the contact points on the circuit board until you come to the end of 2 of the 4 wire contacts. These are your 2 ground contacts. The other 2 are your positive contacts. One of the positive contacts runs thru a ceramic capacitor. This is your low speed fan logic. The capacitor is ceramic because it gets very hot. You can carefully remove the square spring loaded contacts keeping only the gold wires to use as wire leads.

5. Jumper the 2 ground leads together. Then jumper the 2 positive contacts together. Connect the ground to the ground line of the new Zirgo fan motor and connect the positive to the positive of the fan motor.

6. Now you have your new Zirgo fan hooked-up to the OEM 2 speed logic. Put electrical tape on your contacts, but do not put tape on the ceramic capacitor - as it will melt the tape and may cause the capacitor to overheat. Zip tie the logic to the shroud.

7. Reinstall your fan and plug the OEM harness back together.

Done.

Mine has worked great all weekend. I let it idle for an hour in the 90 degree Florida sun. The low speed fan was keeping it so cool that I couldn't get the high speed fan to come on. So I took her out and really drove hard. I finally got the high speed to kick in but it only ran for about 30 seconds before it was cool enough to go back to low speed.

It took some time to really customize it. But it's working great now.

This took me awhile to figure out. The 3 wires actually go to 2 grounds and 2 positives on the 2 speed "logic" board. The fan itself is whisper quiet. But if you put your ear to the grill you can actually hear it sucking air thru the radiator. When I let it idle for only 30 minutes, it never went above 205.

But I would not recommend my "surgery" for people that are not mechanically or electrically inclined. You have to sacrifice an old OEM fan and a new aftermarket fan to do it. If you don't know what you’re doing, you may sacrifice more than that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.