Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out for Drive was good for first 20 miles then started running around 240 to 250. Was only around 70 degrees out. Just had all fluids flushed including the quad. Fan is working did not run air today. Just wondering if it was issues with thermostat not opening and closing correctly Any other thoughts. Thank you. Was great to be out top down in sunny az.

·
Registered
239 Posts
So the way you describe it if the thermostat wasn't changed then I wouldn't be suspicious of that right away. Did you check the bottle? is it filled to the correct level? You said including the Quad, I'm not familiar with that term. Did you have the fluids changed because of an overheating issue?

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,770 Posts
Did you have the steppers changed out in your gauge cluster already? Did you lose any coolant ? When did the temp start reading cooler than 250 ? Were you moving above 35mph or in Town Traffic ? Were your previous problems corrected before this happened ?

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
36,958 Posts
Did you have the steppers changed out in your gauge cluster already? Did you lose any coolant ? When did the temp start reading cooler than 250 ? Were you moving above 35mph or in Town Traffic ? Were your previous problems corrected before this happened ?
:agree If you did not get your gauge cluster repaired you have no idea what the temperature is, if you got that repaired you might have air in your coolant system?

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,565 Posts
Went out for Drive was good for first 20 miles then started running around 240 to 250. Was only around 70 degrees out. Just had all fluids flushed including the quad. Fan is working did not run air today. Just wondering if it was issues with thermostat not opening and closing correctly Any other thoughts. Thank you. Was great to be out top down in sunny az.
Do some reading on SSR How to Library:

Over heat is because emissions standards by the Fed's set fan temps to high and Dealer can not change them by law. Need Corvette Tune shop to lower LOW ON/ HIGH ON settings.

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

Dicktator

·
Premium Member
6,763 Posts
You are correct Dicktator ... Joe Delano tuned mine to come on at 196 at the 2015 International Rally, no problems since ... temp gauge stays at 210 now !!! t-dog :ssr

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,296 Posts
At what speed was the temp running 240-250? Above 35 or below 35? If the problem is above 35, it is an issue in the coolant loop (like t-stat or coolant level). If it is below 35, it is an airflow (like cooling fan or electrical connector) issue.

Send me a text or give me a call today. We can get this diagnosed. 480-225-2123

Mike

·
Registered
132 Posts
Check for air in coolant. The air heater hose on throttle body needs to be purged. I eliminated it. Cooler air going into engine. If in traffic with high humidity & or lack of air movement? Turn on A/C on fan on low or high if hot air temp. Make sure the snow flake is on. No cooling if snow flake is not on. Do as I did. Purge system by leaving cap off coolant tank & squeeze upper radiator hose. The coolant will purge air & need to top off over flow. I did one better. I bought a Tuner & installed a 87 octane tune. Fans come on much sooner & keep everything cool. Also check all grounds for electric. The ground on frame at Battery corrodes from debris dirt & moisture. Need to clean it up. ABS Ground too. Have you flushed your cooling system in last year? Used correct antifreeze & coolant? The orange Dexcool is recommended. But? It still corrodes due to Aluminum engine & radiator. One more thing. The relays & connector of Fan to relays electrical wiring harness gets wet & shorts out. Mine melted for some reason. replaced the connector at fan. Not hard to check it is right on shroud engine side

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
36,958 Posts
Hmmm …. didn't know you could change the turn on temp for the fan.

How can this be done?
Someone that does custom or performance tunes. I'm not sure if the handheld tuners can change the temp on off or not ?

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Make sure the coolant reservoir cap is tight. If its not tight or leaking, the the system will not be pressurized and cause overheating. If you have the original cap it would be advised to get a replacement from Simple Engineering anyway as the seal is not expected to last 15 years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
10 Participants
Texasbaehr
Chevy SSR Forum
Chevy SSR Forum - where SSR fans discuss modifications, wheel & tire tech, performance and so much more!
Full Forum Listing