Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my first red line overheating . It's at the dealer now. Is there any change that was made to the o5's to correct this? also, is there anything I need to tell the service dept. while it's there. thank you sandy g.

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
9,315 Posts
GUB said:
I just had my first red line overheating . It's at the dealer now. Is there any change that was made to the o5's to correct this? also, is there anything I need to tell the service dept. while it's there. thank you sandy g.
Plenty of info on this site about overheating and the cause, as well as some aftermarket fixes. I have had fan replaced but still get some high temps even in cool weather but hasn't redlined again...yet!

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
GUB said:
GM has a better cooling fan replacement. But the old stock is still in the system. GM in their wisdom did not purge the "junk" replacement fans. Should ask the rep about this.

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
You know if your car starts to over heat the best thing to do is to turn on your interior heater on to full blast. This will give you extra cooling capacity.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Great GM Service...

Just got mine back from the Dealer and they said fan kicked-in and wouldn't overheat, so they wouldn't replace it.

Also, they said GM was aware of the trunk struts not opening the top, but had no fix at this time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know it's the fan

Did they make changes on the 05 and 06, is the question to fix the overheating problems?,

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Cooling Fan

I Write This To Let You Know That05 And Newer Seem To Be Upgraded.there Is A Post That Was Here Late Last Year About Not Letting Them Take A New Fan From Excisting Dealer Stock,tell Them You Want A Direct From Lansing New Fan.i Work For A Chevy Dealer And Mine Never Overheated With The Original But I Wasn't Going To Wait For It Too Boil And The Tech Wrote It Up As Needing Replacement.if Yours Got Hot It Would Have Blown Out Anti Freeze.trust Me I Have Seen Them Come In With Hardly Any Left In Them.does Your Reciept Say Anything About Adding Any New Coolant,if It Does Ask Them Why.if It Didn't Boil Out It Would Have Still Been Full.demand A New Fan Evn If They Say They Can't Duplicate The Problem.sometimes You Have Too Go Higher Than The Service Manager To Get It Done.go Thru Earlier Posts As I Said And Make Copies Of This Being A Common Problem With Ssr's.gm Knows All About It Too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fan replaced but new problem now!

They replaced the fan. I also had a noise coming from the right rear but it goes away on new pavement. They test drove the truck and said it was the tire but they couldn't find anything wrong with it. I asked if they put it on the other side would the noise move and he said "yes"..........Serice dept said he would try to see if he could get tire replaced even thought they can't find the problem with it...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just took my new '05 (100 miles when purchased, currently 850 miles total) in Saturday for an overheat problem. I noticed, since I got it, that it ran a bit on the warm side.

Scenario:

Took it for a drive around 11:00 PM for about 20 miles, then went to get some munchies. While waiting in the drive through line, overheat light came on. I turned on the heater (what a treat at about 90 degrees outside), couldn't move forward, or back to shut it down, stuck in the middle of the line. After about 10 minutes temp dropped back to an acceptable range. Took her back to the house, popped the hood, and let her sit for the night. Checked levels in the AM, all looked good, and took her out to see if it would over heat again. After less than 30 minutes driving, light came on again. Turned on the heater, and headed to the dealer. Light went out pretty quickly, but I could see the temp climbing at each red light. Pulled into the service bay, and left the engine running, in hopes it would do it again. Talked with service writer and within one minute light came on and it started spewing fluid all over the shop floor. At least they won't be able to say "could not duplicate".

Any-who, they said it will be either today or tomorrow before they can get it fixed. I just gave them a call, and they are waiting for a thermostat to fix the issue. The service writer told me an O2 sensor first, but changed her mind after some puzzled questioning by me as to how an O2 sensor would cause the coolant to overheat. So to make a long story even longer, the answer to the question of whether the overheat problem was corrected on '05's, the answer would have to be no.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My black 2004 SSR overheated while waiting in a fast food drive up 6/24/06. No coolant was lost and limped home. Took car to chev dealership here in Georgetown tx on June 26th. not a word from them since. Service writer knows less than I do. Is this part available from GM. Would like to have Mikes fan but want them to pay for it.

·
Premium Member
15,490 Posts
b92cc said:
My black 2004 SSR overheated while waiting in a fast food drive up 6/24/06. No coolant was lost and limped home. Took car to chev dealership here in Georgetown tx on June 26th. not a word from them since. Service writer knows less than I do. Is this part available from GM. Would like to have Mikes fan but want them to pay for it.
Good luck. They'll have you waiting for an OEM fan and / or the 60 amp fuse (which they don't seem to stock) that pops when the fan strains.

I bought Mike's Aux. fan and am having a new radiator and replacement fan installed at my cost (supposed to pick it up today), and my SSR only has 3,400 miles on it. I want to be sure I can go anywhere without worrying about it getting hot.

Call it the cost of ownership on these cars. :cuss

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
H60FE said:
Just took my new '05 (100 miles when purchased, currently 850 miles total) in Saturday for an overheat problem. I noticed, since I got it, that it ran a bit on the warm side.

Scenario:

Took it for a drive around 11:00 PM for about 20 miles, then went to get some munchies. While waiting in the drive through line, overheat light came on. I turned on the heater (what a treat at about 90 degrees outside), couldn't move forward, or back to shut it down, stuck in the middle of the line. After about 10 minutes temp dropped back to an acceptable range. Took her back to the house, popped the hood, and let her sit for the night. Checked levels in the AM, all looked good, and took her out to see if it would over heat again. After less than 30 minutes driving, light came on again. Turned on the heater, and headed to the dealer. Light went out pretty quickly, but I could see the temp climbing at each red light. Pulled into the service bay, and left the engine running, in hopes it would do it again. Talked with service writer and within one minute light came on and it started spewing fluid all over the shop floor. At least they won't be able to say "could not duplicate".

Any-who, they said it will be either today or tomorrow before they can get it fixed. I just gave them a call, and they are waiting for a thermostat to fix the issue. The service writer told me an O2 sensor first, but changed her mind after some puzzled questioning by me as to how an O2 sensor would cause the coolant to overheat. So to make a long story even longer, the answer to the question of whether the overheat problem was corrected on '05's, the answer would have to be no.

Check to make sure that your radiator fan is working......most likely it quit

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
H60FE said:

Scenario:

On the SSR, the electric fan is forced on when the A/C is switched on and speed is under 35. If you do this and it still oveheats, you may have a bad fan. turning on the heater won't help much. I had this problem until I learned to turn on the A/C, even with the top down.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have Mike's aux. fan. I plan to purchase his main fan replacement as well. No more stressing out over temperatures. Now I can cruise the Sonic and get me a Diet Cherry Limeaid with no worries. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing. I did not wait on GM to solve this problem. :silver: :thumbs

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Alabama Woody said:
I have Mike's aux. fan. I plan to purchase his main fan replacement as well. No more stressing out over temperatures. Now I can cruise the Sonic and get me a Diet Cherry Limeaid with no worries. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing. I did not wait on GM to solve this problem. :silver: :thumbs
Yep, me too, only I like the Peach tea!!:blur:

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Make sure when turning on the AC that you always have it on re-circulate. I have had no problems on my 06 in the Palm Springs area in over 100 degree temperature.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts