Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I posted a story regarding the overheating of my 04 SSR.
I thought it was fixed. The dealer put on a new radiator cap and a new thermostat. I got a call on Monday from the dealer where I purchased
the car. They told me that some of the parts for my truck where in and they would need a day to install them. I told them "no problem". I left work and stopped at home on my way to the dealer to remove all of my personal belongings. I left the truck running in my garage for no more than 5 minutes,
when all of the sudden I hear the chimes going off. I looked at the display on the dash to find the message "Engine overheated" I got my camera and took a picture. The last 3 times I took it to the dealer, they couldn't believe it was
getting hot. So I figured I would show them some pictures. I had it towed
and am waiting for an answer. If they can't figure this out, I am going to
pursue the lemon law. I have been to the dealer now 4 times in less than 3 months. Don't know how many of you have experienced the same problem.
Good luck

·
Registered
591 Posts
Try another dealer ! The fan is not kicking into high speed !

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Mine over heated a couple of weeks ago and the dealer replaced the water pump.
I never saw any leaks and found it hard to believe that that was the problem, but it runs fine now.

·
Registered
591 Posts
There are two things that cool the engine, 1.circulation of the coolant through the radiator, 2.drawing air through the radiator to cool it.
One of the two are defective.

·
Registered
32 Posts
FIGHT GM'S CRAP "ONE CORE" SSR RADIATOR

:nono My 2004 SSR is at Ramp Chevy NY Long Island as I type this getting at least a 650hp upgrade ...4:56 gears, cam, ZO6 heads, MagaCharger, Dynamax headers,
200 and something?? stall speed converter and modulators .... ALL DONE BY CHEVY PREFORMANCE DEPARTMENT EXPERTS!!! THE ONLY THING THEY CAN'T FIX IS THAT GOD DAMN SMALL SINGLE CORE....... THAT'S RIGHT "ONE CORE" RADIATOR!!!

IT'S A PIECE OF JUNK THAT NEVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN PUT IN A 300HP 5K POUND TRUCK THAT CHEVY SHOULD HAVE KNOWN WOULD BE HOPPED UP BY AT LEAST ONE THIRD OF THEIR BUYERS.

I STOOD IN THE RAMP CHEVY BAY TODAY AND LOOKED AT A RAD. THAT WAS SMALLER THEN THE ONE IN MY PINTO THAT I PURCHASED IN 1975!!!!

WHAT A DISGRACE ON GM's PART TO PUT SUCH A PIECE OF CRAP IN AN SSR!!!

WHAT WHERE THEY THINKING OF!!!!

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU BUT EITHER I WANT IT UPGRADED OR THIS CALLS FOR A CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT!!!!!!!!!!

WE HAVE TO FIGHT THIS DISGRACEFUL ENGINEERING!! paulny

·
Premium Member
3,957 Posts
Where are you getting 650 HP out of an 04 with the stock 5.3?????? You will be lucky to see 350-375 RWHP with the mods you posted. There are alot of aftermarket radiator upgrades.

We need to be glad that Chevrolet engineering didnt put a 4 banger in the engine bay because they didnt think they could keep it cool. I would much rather upgrade the radiator then a V8 swap.

·
Registered
32 Posts
2005SSR6Speed said:
Where are you getting 650 HP out of an 04 with the stock 5.3?????? You will be lucky to see 350-375 RWHP with the mods you posted. There are alot of aftermarket radiator upgrades.

We need to be glad that Chevrolet engineering didnt put a 4 banger in the engine bay because they didnt think they could keep it cool. I would much rather upgrade the radiator then a V8 swap.
THERE ARE NO AFTERMARKET (READY TO PURCHASE) RAD'S. ON THE MARKET BECAUSE I TRIED FOR A WEEK TO BUY ONE!

DON'T FOOL YOURSELF THE LM4 TRUCK MOTOR IN THE 04 IS A STROKER!! IT HAS A LOT MORE TORQUE THEN TH 05'S AND WITH JUST THE MAGNACHARGER AND THE MAGNACHIPS UPGRADE WITH A CATBACK SYSTEM IT WAS DYNOED AT 450HP. THE 2004 IF BUILT WITH A ZO6 CAM AND HEADS, HEADERS AND A REAL CHIP TUNER WILL REACH THOSE HP NUMBERS AND WILL BLOW AWAY A STOCK 05 AND A PONY CAR AND MAYBE A GTO TOO. :) :)

G

·
I'm sorry, but I think you are suffering from delusions of grandeur. Jim G has already done everything you are having done to your truck and got nowhere near 650hp. The truck just wont get there without swapping out the engine. Also check the threads on cooling and radiators because Jim G has also already swapped out this as well, so you can buy a replacement, he even tells you the brand name. Best of luck and keep dreamin.

·
Premium Member
3,957 Posts
All I have to say is post some pictures and dyno sheets. :lol :lol

There is no way you are going to get that out of the 5.3 without MID Wet Sleeves and stroker. You are quoting numbers that 427 strokers cannt put down to the wheels. :nono :nono

My new LS2 just dynoed 340 RWHP bone stock and is at Magnuson Products right now having an Intercooled Magnacharger installed with 6 pounds of boost. I will post some Dyno sheets next week when I pick it up. The LS2 has 2001 LS6 Heads and Cam Already plus the added cubic inch. The block was redesigned and is being considered a mini C5R Block due to the redesign in lower structure, cylinder walls, priority oiling and cooling passages. :cool :cool

With the 6 Speed Transmission and the 14 Bolt 9.5" Rear Axle I will be able to use the power from the installed "Radix" Intercooled Supercharger. The 4L60E you have in your SSR will not hold the RWHP numbers the Supercharger puts out on the 5.3 for very long.

If you have your 4L60E Automatic built with a 3000 Stall Converter, HP Clutches, Kevlar 3/4 Band, Billet Servos, Aluminum Accumulator Piston and TransGo Shift Kit you will still need Torque Management to hold it all together.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Please post the name, address and phone number of Jim G's Radiator source. If its true and I can buy an SSR aluminum performance radiator I will owe you a big one!! Thanks!!

ps: Because of the cam that the engineers picked and the ZO6 heads the compression on my LM4 will drop to about 9 to 1. They are changing pullies on the supercharger to up the psi. We are going to start at 10 psi and work our way up to see what will produce the best results without blowing the heads off!!

I "WILL!!" GET TO THOSE NUMBERS WITH THE 2004 LM4 ENGINE!! When I do I will post the dyno sheets. :seeya

·
Registered
32 Posts
Jim G. DID NOT FIND A RAD. SUPPLIER!!!!

Ken'sssr said:
I'm sorry, but I think you are suffering from delusions of grandeur. Jim G has already done everything you are having done to your truck and got nowhere near 650hp. The truck just wont get there without swapping out the engine. Also check the threads on cooling and radiators because Jim G has also already swapped out this as well, so you can buy a replacement, he even tells you the brand name. Best of luck and keep dreamin.
HEY ... KEN'SSR ....... YOU HAVE TO READ BETTER AND SURF THE WEB MORE!! I PURCHASE THE BOOK THAT JIM POSTED AND I HAVE SPENT HUNDREDS OF HOURS RESEARCHING HOW TO GET THE "MOST" HP OUT OF AN 2004 LM4. KEN PASTED BELOW IS JIM'S THREAD ON GETTING A BETTER COOLING SYSTEM ... FYI !!

JimGnitecki
matjow: The fan motor has failed. The reason it starts with a "push start" is that an electrinc motor needs the most power to just get started. Once started, it will keep going. Elecric motors generally don't fail while running. It's on startup.

I have been looking into aftermarket engine cooling fans, but have had to focus most of my time on getting an new job, so limited time has been available.

I HAVE learned that the CFM ratings available within even the exact same diameter fans varies dramatically ( up to 3 times the CFM or more from same physical diameter and depth). We want high CFM so we can create more flow through that radiator AND push more hot air out of the underhood area faster (with higher CFM, you not only move more air IN but you also pressurize a bit to force more OUT. Regrettably, I do not know the CFM rating for the stock fan, Whatever it is, we want to double or triple it.

The second big essential is duty cycle. I wouldn't buy a fan with less than a 100% duty cycle rating. That means that it can run ALL the time if necessary (which in the case of an SSR in a hot climate IS the work environment for the fan!).

The third thing is 2-speed capability. This is not essential, but it would be very nice. The reason is that an electric fan is much better than a mechanical fan in one important way: it consumes less power in total, as it is not physically tied to match the current rpm of the engine like a mechanicla fan is.

However, since we are going to be increasing CFM, we are also going to be increasing power draw (more amps). On my regeared SSR, where the engine is spinning 22% faster on average, there is no issue with the alternator being able to keep up. In fact, I have excess capacity that the fan can use part of. But, on a stock setup, that higher amp fan is a bigger drain on the alternator and battery, so having a 2-speed is nice. With a 2-speed, the higher speed, which pulls more power, only comes on when actually needed. Sometimes the slower speed is all that will be required.

Also, the SSR is setup for 2-speed fan. If we install a single speed fan, I think that the PCM is going to detect the fact that the 2nd speed has not responded when commanded to, and may wear out the relay TRYING to get the 2nd speed started. I am not sure of this, but why gamble?

Let's find a fan that is:

- From a reputable supplier
- 100% duty cycle
- 2 to 3 times the CFM rating of the one we have (how do we find out what we have?)
- 2 speed
- Fits in terms of size without interference with anything else
- Installs EASILY rather than being an epic

OR

a dual fan capability with all the above features (that would theoretically cover a broader portion of the radiator AND since electric motors seldom fail together, when one fails, the other would still provide some cooling (maybe even a much as the stock fan does today!)

But, with my current job hunt and book writing responsibilities, someone else needs to do some searching.

Jim G

KEN, I AM CURRENTLY TRYING TO GET A RADITOR MADE WITH BETTER FANS BECAUSE MY 600+ LM4 OVERHAULED 2004 WILL NEED IT!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
FOUND A PERFORMANCE RADIATOR SUPPLIER FOR SSR's

:) HEY ALL YOU OVERHEATING SSR OWNERS ..... GOOD NEWS!!
I FOUND A COMPANY THAT WILL BUILD YOU A PROFESSIONAL 2X1"WIDE CORE ALUMINUM RACING GRADE RADIATORS, BELOW AM EMAIL FROM THEM TO ME:

We already build a radiator for the '04 SSR but we cannot build it in 1
week. We have a 3-4 week lead time right now.
Part # 1-16SSR05 = $695.00 plus shipping.

(Embedded image moved to file: pic17981.jpg)

Thank You,
Tim Crosby

Ron Davis Racing Products, Inc.
www.rondavisradiators.com
7334 North 108th Avenue
Glendale, AZ. 85307
TEL - 623-877-5000 ext. 3
FAX - 623-877-5001

GO TO: http://www.rondavisradiators.com/contact.htm

WHEN YOU CALL TIM PLEASE MENTION PAUL SENT YOU ....... HAVE FUN WITH YOUR SSR's

PAUL (paulny) [email protected]

:seeya

Ricochet Dude said:
A while back I posted a story regarding the overheating of my 04 SSR.
I thought it was fixed. The dealer put on a new radiator cap and a new thermostat. I got a call on Monday from the dealer where I purchased
the car. They told me that some of the parts for my truck where in and they would need a day to install them. I told them "no problem". I left work and stopped at home on my way to the dealer to remove all of my personal belongings. I left the truck running in my garage for no more than 5 minutes,
when all of the sudden I hear the chimes going off. I looked at the display on the dash to find the message "Engine overheated" I got my camera and took a picture. The last 3 times I took it to the dealer, they couldn't believe it was
getting hot. So I figured I would show them some pictures. I had it towed
and am waiting for an answer. If they can't figure this out, I am going to
pursue the lemon law. I have been to the dealer now 4 times in less than 3 months. Don't know how many of you have experienced the same problem.
Good luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
FOUND A PERFORMANCE RADIATOR SUPPLIER FOR SSR's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HEY ALL YOU OVERHEATING SSR OWNERS ..... GOOD NEWS!!
I FOUND A COMPANY THAT WILL BUILD YOU A PROFESSIONAL 2X1"WIDE CORE ALUMINUM RACING GRADE RADIATORS, BELOW AM EMAIL FROM THEM TO ME:

We already build a radiator for the '04 SSR but we cannot build it in 1
week. We have a 3-4 week lead time right now.
Part # 1-16SSR05 = $695.00 plus shipping.

(Embedded image moved to file: pic17981.jpg)

Thank You,
Tim Crosby

Ron Davis Racing Products, Inc.
www.rondavisradiators.com
7334 North 108th Avenue
Glendale, AZ. 85307
TEL - 623-877-5000 ext. 3
FAX - 623-877-5001

GO TO: http://www.rondavisradiators.com/contact.htm

WHEN YOU CALL TIM PLEASE MENTION PAUL SENT YOU ....... HAVE FUN WITH YOUR SSR's

PAUL (paulny) [email protected]

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's just easier for me to type in caps ......... sorry it bothered you. I was also excited to fine someone making a quility aluminum radiator for an SSR, I have been looking for weeks.
I have asked the question on here a few time with no answer so I was excited to pass along the information to fellow SSR owns, that's all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
No........ I never found BE COOL in all the web surfing I have done. I have spent at least 3 hours every night (for 3 months) trying to turn my 2004 into a BEAST .... It's almost done and my Chevy dealer promised me 600 plus HP ........... he should because I have spent almost 20K on this truck................ laugh some of you but I put my heart and soul into this and I am not a new-be to rods I have built 14 of them in the last 30 years before I got crushed at work. My SSR is still in the Chevy shop and I will not accept it back from them until I see the dyno test in person, it's in my contract with them, that is the deal we made and also I paid extra to keep my warranty because they are a Chevy performance dealer. I did not have my compression raised but lowered and the cam was ground for supercharger spec's that will put out 15psi. Trans & converter specially built, all cooling ............ well lets say all the stock is gone! I have had emails calling me crazy but with just the MagnaCharger and the Superchips and CATBACKS I made almost 450hp on the dyno. A 2004 SSR is what a 323?? I forget but it is stroked 9mm, doesn't sound like much but the only diffidence (besides the stroker) is the coated pistons, otherwise you have a pure GEN.III Vett. motor. I am putting ZO6 heads on my LM4, headers, cam. 4.56 gears, 8.5:1 rockers along with the proper cam for a 15psi supercharger, plus a transmission built by ProTorque with all the right stuff to rocket me off the line and the best part is that Chevy is building it with a warrenty!!!!!!!!!!! Can't beat that, can you????

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
paulny said:
No........ I never found BE COOL in all the web surfing I have done. I have spent at least 3 hours every night (for 3 months) trying to turn my 2004 into a BEAST .... It's almost done and my Chevy dealer promised me 600 plus HP ........... he should because I have spent almost 20K on this truck................ laugh some of you but I put my heart and soul into this and I am not a new-be to rods I have built 14 of them in the last 30 years before I got crushed at work. My SSR is still in the Chevy shop and I will not accept it back from them until I see the dyno test in person, it's in my contract with them, that is the deal we made and also I paid extra to keep my warranty because they are a Chevy performance dealer. I did not have my compression raised but lowered and the cam was ground for supercharger spec's that will put out 15psi. Trans & converter specially built, all cooling ............ well lets say all the stock is gone! I have had emails calling me crazy but with just the MagnaCharger and the Superchips and CATBACKS I made almost 450hp on the dyno. A 2004 SSR is what a 323?? I forget but it is stroked 9mm, doesn't sound like much but the only diffidence (besides the stroker) is the coated pistons, otherwise you have a pure GEN.III Vett. motor. I am putting ZO6 heads on my LM4, headers, cam. 4.56 gears, 8.5:1 rockers along with the proper cam for a 15psi supercharger, plus a transmission built by ProTorque with all the right stuff to rocket me off the line and the best part is that Chevy is building it with a warrenty!!!!!!!!!!! Can't beat that, can you????

I would love to see your truck when it is done....let us know when and where you will be running around in the future :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.