1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there have an overheating problem. This past week it has
been in the triple digits. I understand that it's normal for SSR's to run
around 210 degrees. Mine was running around 230 - 240 in traffic with the
air conditioning running. I took it to the dealer where I purchased it.
They discovered that the filler neck on the overflow tank had shown
signs of leaking. They replaced the cap. I picked it up today, drove to
the gas station where I left the car running while fueling ( a no-no), then
drove to see a friend and let it idle there for about 20 minutes. It never
exceeded 210 degrees. I hope this solves the problem. So if anyone
else out there is having the same problem, check your cap.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Overheating Due To Fan Motor

I was 9 hours away from home when it happened this past Friday evening. First, I heard the sound of a bell which got my attention. Then, I saw a temperature warning light flashing on the dash. For a moment, I thought I saw the words, "Engine Coolant Hot" on the DIC, but that changed to "Engine Overheated" as I was trying to maneuver off the highway across three lanes of traffic. I shut down the engine and let it cool for a little while, then bought some coolant assuming that to be the problem.

It didn't help. The coolant level wasn't that low and the problem recurred at low speeds and idle. So I took it to a nearby dealership (driving over posted speed limits) on Saturday morning only to discover that the service department was closed on the weekends, as was the next dealership I found, and the next, and every other one in the yellow pages except one and that one told me that they couldn't get to my SSR until WEDNESDAY . . . FOUR DAYS LATER!!! They suggested that I find a dealership on Monday, so I found a hotel room and waited for Monday morning . . . today.

I was second in line for service, and was soon told that the problem is the fan motor. They would have to order a replacement and they would probably get it fixed by . . . you guessed it . . . WEDNESDAY. I needed to get back home, so the service guy told me to keep the speed up (not a problem) and I should be okay.

Nine hours later, I'm back home. I kept the speed above 80 and 90 during most of the trip and even ran the air conditioner without a problem, EXCEPT for the couple of times that I stopped for fuel and food when I shut it down quickly and let it cool before continuing the trip.

Anyway, I'll take it to my "regular" dealership tomorrow (Tuesday) and leave it for as long as necessary. I'm just glad that I made it!!!

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Oh No!

Well it happened to me this morning on the way to work!!!!
Engine Coolant Hot in the DIC, only noticed it because of the warning bell.

I have passed the original warranty, so now I'm going to see how my extended warranty can be handled!

:mad :mad :mad :mad :mad

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Same oh, same oh

Identical events here.

My '04 SSR just overheats when running at very slow speeds or sitting in traffic in triple digit tempts. Have been turning on the heater at times to bring the temp down. I was willing to concede when its so hot in the desert in stopped traffic that I might have to turn the air conditioner off, but having to turn on the heater was the last straw for me. :cuss

Waiting for driver's side door handle part, so when this comes in and I take it in to dealership, I'll have them check this out.

Going to "arm" myself with all the threads I read about this overheating problem to avoid the run around from my service rep.

Thanks, for the heads up. :)

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
fan failure

So my guess is that I had a complete fan failure because after it would jump from 210, while moving, to 260 within 15 seconds of coming to a stop. Luckily I only work 5 mins from my Chevy dealership, otherwise I don't think I could have driven it there.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
No one should have a cooling problem unless there are leaks in the cooling system or there is a problem with the fan. The fan can fail or the electric supply to the fan can fail.
The temperature will cycle but it should not go to the top of the gage scale.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
Ricochet Dude said:
Anyone out there have an overheating problem. This past week it has
been in the triple digits. I understand that it's normal for SSR's to run
around 210 degrees. Mine was running around 230 - 240 in traffic with the
air conditioning running. I took it to the dealer where I purchased it.
They discovered that the filler neck on the overflow tank had shown
signs of leaking. They replaced the cap. I picked it up today, drove to
the gas station where I left the car running while fueling ( a no-no), then
drove to see a friend and let it idle there for about 20 minutes. It never
exceeded 210 degrees. I hope this solves the problem. So if anyone
else out there is having the same problem, check your cap.
type "overheating" in the site search engine and you'll have enough to keep you reading for a month.

·
Registered
45 Posts
freezer said:
No one should have a cooling problem unless there are leaks in the cooling system or there is a problem with the fan. The fan can fail or the electric supply to the fan can fail.
The temperature will cycle but it should not go to the top of the gage scale.
I mean no offense to Freezer or any other GM engineers.....but....I also work for General Motors and have done so for a quarter of a century. I have utterly been amazed at the incompetence of some these engineers. There seems to be a lot of them that live in some fairy land thinking that their slide rule says this will work...and thus there is no other outcome to the equation. If, on down the road, someone complains about their "math", they will spend all their time and efforts pointing fingers of blame at others and telling everyone else that all is well, the customers are wrong...regardless of what their "GAGE" might say. Let's not spend any time or effort to admit that there is a problem and actually do something to satisfy the customer. What the heck, GM is steadily losing market share, and their stock was recently referred to as "junk". Sure I know some of you might think I'm just a disgruntled employee....well you're half right...I am an employee....not disgruntled...just disappointed.

·
549 Posts
By my judgement, we did not have any of those "inadequate" engineers on the SSR. The cooling system was validated in the wind tunnel and in the field with and without the 2500 lb trailer loads. No system is perfect and some of the components can fail. The initial issue was with people jumping the electrical by using the hot lead into the underhood fuse panel. This fries components that control the fan.

The cooling system is not "over designed" because of the packaging and the components available. There are no electric cooling fans on most trucks because an engine driven fan will move more air for the higher payloads and trailer weights they are designed for. The SSR is not your ordinary truck by any definition. That is why you do not find a typical truck cooling system. How many high performance roadster/convertible vehicles are capable of towing anything? We even included what I consider a very innovative hitch system because of our truck heritage.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Freezer: Well put, I'm also GM retire. I still support The General and buy there products. But you have to admit that they "wedged" a strong V-8 down into a chamber with insufficient cooling space. Now when we report the problem to some people we get comments like, ASC did all the development and it's there baby. I haven't made a fuss at my dealer because the fan is functioning as designed. The underhood temp. is what has be fustrated. Your thoughts?

·
549 Posts
GM bought into everything that was done. Styling was the #1 priority and we did the best with all of the components we could package. I have not had an issue with mine and I have been from Michigan to Las Vegas twice. The highest temperature I got was navigating mountain passes in the summer. I maintain that if you have an overheating problem, then you have a warranty problem that GM should handle. Overheating is not a subjective issue. Some members think the SSR runs hot and they are free to modify to their hearts content, but that is an opinion and not an issue.

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,841 Posts

I have had heat under the hood of over 200F, and the engine has not run hot yet. Fingers crossed :lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Okay, maybe I'm wrong Freezer. Personally I don't like seeing my temperature guage raising to the numbers I see... and there is no fan problem or leak issue on my truck. Best I can tell it's just a piss poor design. You must have one of the rare birds off of the assembly line with unbelievable cooling abilities. Let's face it, engine temperature seems to be one of the biggest complaints I read about on this forum....except for the noisy drive shaft which I also have. I know for a fact GM can do better....I am and will always be brand loyal as well as a stock holder that likes to speak his mind. $48k is a lot to pay for a vehicle, and people expect better. Engineers should be listening to the "Voice of the Customer"...admit to their mistakes, skip the finger pointing step, and try to make the customers know that we are a corporation that really cares. There is nothing worse than to go to a dealer, or a forum with people of your background, with a problem and be told that we don't know what we're talking about...of course you have to keep your boss happy, which means to do whatever it takes to make the bean counters happy, the whole time leaving the customer out in the cold.....Well in this case, in the heat, or dead on the road.
Now before I get a bunch of hate responses, I just want to say...I really like my SSR.....I like the Corp. I work for.....I'm just tired of hearing all these stories like this from so many customers, who go to Toyota the next time and get vehicles without all the problems and they tell a friend, and they tell a friend, and so on, and GM has to start giving cars away to help the bean counters be able to fudge the numbers enough to convience the stock holders that we are gaining back market share that we have thrown away for the last few decades. I believe in American Pride in what we build......this ain't it. :flag Once again I mean no offense to Freezer or anyone else.....just the system.

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,999 Posts
Another angle

Maybe the thing to do is to wait for the 427 SSR to be built (assuming it happens). I would think there would be a number of cooling upgrades in that beast that could be transplanted into ours.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I WAS WRONG.......new problem.

So my overheating problem was NOT due to the fan. Want to take a guess as to what the problem wzs?

No.....ok. I'll just tell you. I had a leaky water pump. Actually the service guy said it was more like a faucet than a leak, coolant just poured out of it. I was surprised by this because I did not smell anything (ie. the regular antifreeze coolant smell that I would have expected) and I didn't see any fluid spillage (although I wasn't looking for any either). So $550 later ($450 covered by extended warranty) I am actually running cooler than before. The temp used to read 210 most of the time. Now the guage points almost a full needle width more to the left (200?) of the "2".
At first I was slightly happy that my SSR over heated 2 days ago, because I thought "now I have got that dreaded fan failure out of the way before I head up to Lansing", but now that will still be in the back of my head while I'm driving 12 hours to get there.

I hope that I will be the only person to have this particular issue, but since none of you have driven 45k miles yet......

TTFN :)

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Ntmmd8r: Perfect, you said it like it is. I'm on your team, support The General and now retired and enjoying my SSR. Trouble is, all of what you said didn't cure the hot engine and excessive underhood heat. Maybe we better order a new hood and have it louvered like the 50's! Scheide

·
Registered
35 Posts
It' the TEMP GUAGE that needs changing

freezer said:
GM bought into everything that was done. Styling was the #1 priority and we did the best with all of the components we could package. I have not had an issue with mine and I have been from Michigan to Las Vegas twice. The highest temperature I got was navigating mountain passes in the summer. I maintain that if you have an overheating problem, then you have a warranty problem that GM should handle. Overheating is not a subjective issue. Some members think the SSR runs hot and they are free to modify to their hearts content, but that is an opinion and not an issue.

It's a simiple fact that we all get puckering when we see that temp guage go past the 210 mark as it sometimes does.

I somehow doubt that most drivers see the RED LINE is at nearly the 260 mark (that little red line is awful small and nearly not visibile).

If the TEMP GUAGE would have been illustsrating GREEN until the 250 mark, then most drivers would have thought nothing of the actual numbers (except us old drivers who grew up watching the temp guage).

There have been a couple of actual fan failures and water pump problems addressed here, but in general, most complain about LOOKING AT THE TEMP GUAGE. Having seen but one or two say that the IDIOT LIGHTS or computer told them the engine was overheating.

So, redesigning the guage with the GREEN should save a lot of print time.

One last suggestion to let some of the heat out throught the hood is to take off the engine cover. That cover (according to my dealer) is simply cosmetic and has no function exept maybe to keep the dust off the engine. Taking it off, they tell me, allows the hot air to more easily exit the rear hood area.

Nearly 15,000 miles now in 6 months and temps in the 90's here. But I'm still watching that temp guage way too much.

Bob G.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts