Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an observation.

Over here in UK we use a tremendous amount of salt and other nasty stuff to try and keep ice off the roads during winter -it makes a disgusting corrosive paste that gets everywhere.
Unfortunately I dont have the luxury of chauffeur driven transport so have to use my own beloved SSR all through the winter.

Yesterday I noticed the dreaded rust....

Interestingly it is in two identical places - all the paint is now missing from the two box section re-enforcers under each door on the main frame rails - I assume this is where the runners / side steps bolt through??

Very light surface rust but no paint left at all??

Now cleaned, neutralised and covered in underbody protector paint......

·
Registered
180 Posts
We share the same problem

English Gent

I purchased my SSR from GM as an executive driven truck.
During the exec. driving they spent time in the Canadian winter.
Not to be a bragger but I think we get more salt here.
Case in point this morning it was -40 c ( by the way salt does not work at -40 )
Even though my truck was only subjected to 2 months of winter the same frame weld took a rusty hit.
We have many produts to deal with rust and believe me mine is handled.
Fortunatley I now have a chauffeur.
Have a great day

Scott Doran #201

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Photo? Not much point now

Well not now it is completely hidden with 'bodyguard' chassis sealer anyway.

Once the weather bightens up a little I shall crawl underneath and get a couple of shots of the ofending member - my advice would be to get as much of the chassis coated with a proper chassis paint as possible.

It looks like the original frame was actually painted prior to the patch being applied as the paint quality / texture is not the same on the patch. Welding is good but the paint on the patch is not bonded and is actually flaking away!!

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts