Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
PA Chocolate/Candy Run - Update

Updated
Out at Ocean City the other weekend, Big Jim's wife Patrice and I were discussing chocolate while waiting in line at Wockenfuss candies. That pretty much got the ball rolling with the idea of a group cruise to PA (chocolate capital of North America) in order to stuff ourselves with as much chocolate :rolleyes: as possible.

So, here goes. Date is set for September 17th with rain date of the 24th. Just cross our fingers that it doesn't rain both days! I've put together a list of places we can visit, with of course, the 2 obligatory locations that we talked about during the OC trip.

1) Wolfgang Candies in York
2) Wilbur Chocolate (obligatory :) ) in Lititz
3) The Sturgis Pretzel Factory also in Lititz
4) Hershey Chocolate World (the other obligation :) )

HCW is open till 8, while the other venues are only open till 5, so that kinda means Hershey can go last.

As far as scenic travelling, for us coming up from the DC area, it's unfortunately highway. From York to Lancaster (and then up to Lititz), I know of plenty of alternate non highway routes, but it's pretty suburban regardless. However, from Lititz to Hershey via 322 is a really nice scenic drive - forests and open farm land in abundance.

For the DC area, I've chosen the McDonalds at the Calverton/Beltsville exit (MD rt 212) on I-95. Exit 29B (ironically the same number for the OC cruise). We'll meet about 9:30AM, hopefully leaving there around 10AM.

If anybody from PA would like to meet up with us in York, please let us know in advance. If we hear you'll be joining us, we'll stop for a break at the CVS at George St and Rt 30 (Arsenal Rd). We should arrive between 11 and 11:30AM. It's at the first traffic light westbound on Rt30 from the I-83 interchange. If you're coming from the north on I-83 south, the Rt 30 exit already puts you onto George street 1/2 mile north of Rt 30 anyway. We'll hang out there briefly to wait for everybody to show up, then head on over to our first stop at Wolfgang candies.

From there, the schedule's flexible. We're only constrained by the 5pm closing time of the Wilbur factory and Sturgis pretzel factory should we end up doing both.

After our stop in Lititz, we'll be heading to Hershey. There are a few small cafes in the Hershey Chocolate World building that we could choose to have a dinner at, or stop at a local restaurant on the way.

And, to keep An_SSR's_Wife happy, I'm scouting out where the starbucks are! :lol (There's only 2 in all of York) Strangely enough, the beltsville/calverton area is also quite devoid of starbucks - on the map it's like a circle of starbucks all around that zone. Strange.

Be sure to bring a cooler to any perishables in! I'm sure we can stop and get ice from a local convenience store should someone forget.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Let's Go !!!

Are we there yet????? :party :party :party

·
TROUBLE MAKER
568 Posts
"Lenore" wants chocolate!!!!!!

I'm ready for the chocolate factory, but don't let those PA/NJ SSR owners give you any ideas of other places to visit, because there is no telling where we will end up!!! :lol
Devastator will have us at a COOKIE factory!!!! :lol
dougnc will have us wearing matching lipstick and hanging out at his local strip club (trying not to be seen by his boss!!!)
:glol :glol

·
Premium Member
32,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's wrong with cookies? I was, in fact, considering adding the Stauffers Cookie factory outlet store to the tour! ;)

·
TROUBLE MAKER
568 Posts
That's OK ...

ssr71 said:
What's wrong with cookies? I was, in fact, considering adding the Stauffers Cookie factory outlet store to the tour! ;)
I was just trying to get Devastator to reply to the post!!!
But, we can't allow dougnc's local strip club!!!! But, I would love to meet him, and if he isn't wearing that matching lipstick, I am gonna hold him down(He likes women to do that to him!!) And put it on for him, then take a picture of us and enter it in our photo of the month contest!!!!
:glol :glol :glol

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Wish I could attend. I was born a raised in Wilkes Barre PA (lived there for 6 years my life). The Chocolate Factory is a great place to visit. I'll be camping and four wheelin around that time. Bummer :(

·
Yes, I have an ATTITUDE !
1,678 Posts
Cookies.....anyone ???

Come one come all , get your cookies here ! :jester

Can't wait to meet up with you (SSR WIFE ) your going to get it ! :glol

I like to run up the back roads in late Sept. / Oct. , up in the Pocono's. How about a Fall Foliage Run / maybe a little wine tasting ?

There is a ski resort called Camelback , you can drive to the top and look to the north , or south .
Was up there last year on the 4th of July and was watching fireworks from several different areas , it was wild ! :thumbs

Was working double shifts these last 3 days , 19 hours / 18 hours / 19 hours .
slept in til 11 am this morning / working 2:30 pm til 11 pm tonight.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Keep us posted

My wife and I may go to Delmarva Bike Week at Ocean City that weekend (9/17) but if we don't we would be interested in going to the Chocolate factory with our SSR.

Carl

·
TROUBLE MAKER
568 Posts
Come On !!!!

Give us a date????? I have already eaten all the fudge from O.C., and now have done enough exercise to work it off, It's time for CHOCOLATE!!!!!!
And some Coffee of course, I hope they have a Starbucks in Pa.!!!!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
It will take more than Starbucks coffee to make my wife happy, and it's the Hershey Outlets, right next to the Hershey Chocolate Factory, and open til 9:00 pm, that should do the trick.

Another great place to visit in PA, is the Strasburg Railroad Museum, right outside Lancaster.

Also, there is a place in PA, that is such a landmark for automobiles and holds a rich history for GM and custom coaches, such as ours, and that's Fleetwood, PA. Check it out on my website. If you ever wondered where the Fisher Body emblem with the carraige in the center came from, that GM used back in the 50's and 60's on their step plates, you can read more about it here http://www.fatherlarryscorvetteshop.com/new_page_7.htm This town also has a museum honoring the heritage of the Automobile Coach Manufacturers, and GM still has an interest in the area.

And, back to chocolate, if you really love chocolate, there is a great place near Kutztown called Premise Maid Chocolate, which is a little village surrounded by farmland, and the most scenic spot in the Lehigh Valley. In the village you'll find little elves figures that move and make their chocolate, and a gift shop filled with novelties, and the best chocolate I've every tasted. The gift shop also has a 20 foot Grandfather Clock made of chocolate (real chocolate), and an ice-cream shop with homemade ice cream of every flavor you can think of. Greeting you in the Ice Cream Parlor are two life size manequins of the Blues Brothers. And what's great about it is there is plenty of room for parking and sitting outside in the little village. It's a unique spot that very few know about. Now I'm sure this will get you going. Right around the same vicinity as Premise Maid Chocolates, are numerous winerys where you can bring your chocolate and take a tour of the winery and sample the wines.

Now I'm not a native Pennsylvanian. I'm from Brooklyn, NY, however, since I've been in PA, any places the PA people have lead me to or recommended, have been great places to see.

There's one more place I have to mention and that's the Clock Museum, also outside of Lancaster ....I guess I've been in PA too long...I'm sounding like a typical Pennsylvanian leading you all over the place. But, PA is one of the most picturesque states to see. Hey, I ddin't do too bad for a Brooklyn guy growing up with one tree in my back yard.

·
Premium Member
32,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Larry,

Some of those are great places. I grew up around Lancaster, so I'm quite familiar with Strasburg and the clock museum (my sister even had a friend living in an apartment converted from the orginal Hamilton clock works buildings). Kutztown, however, is a bit too far out of the way to make a round trip from Lititz to Hershey to Kutztown (Breinigsville actually) or Lititz to Breinigsville to Hershey to work. Something would have to give. Actually, given where I saw it on the map, there's other chocolate stores out in that neck of the woods. Gertrude Hawk candies comes to mind immediately. Their claim to fame is that they make the "Frango" line of candies for Marshall Fields.

Another place near Strasburg is the Gast Classic Motorcar Exhibit. My dad took me there quite a number of years ago, and it was where I saw my first Tucker. It's on Rt 896 just north of the center of town. However I made a trip out to Strasburg a few months ago and missed seeing it, and I was actually looking to see if it was still there.

Perhaps in the not too distant future, we could schedule a "ride the rails" day. PA is full of railroad history, and there are still several regularly operating excursion trains around the state. Fall is certainly a great time to do that too with the changes in scenery.

·
TROUBLE MAKER
568 Posts
Still No Date!!!

Alright I'm ready to gain 30 or 40 Lbs. Stop teasing me and give me a date!!!
I can live without the railroad history, but please don't show me a clock museum... my husband and I love old clocks.. we have collected many antique clocks, from wall to grandfather to cuckoo, You could say our whole house ticks... But I want chocolate and coffee!!!! Please tell me there is a starbucks next to a chocolate factory, I would be in heaven!!! Especially, since I have invested so much money into Starbucks, that there should be one on every corner by now! :lol

·
Premium Member
32,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Date's been posted. I edited the original post rather than do it all over again.

·
Registered
407 Posts
about half mile from hershey right next to the hampton inn is a great restaurant with surprisingly good food. adjacent to the hotel parking lot.

i can smell the chocolate now. wish iw as going. have fun to those who do......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts