Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While hand-waxing the SSR the other day, I found a couple spots the size of a thumbprint where the paint looks like it has blistered. Anyone come across this problem before? And what could be the cause?

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Blisters

I had the same problem on my black '05.It was still in warranty, the dealer repainted the deck lid and top cover. The clear coat failed at that spot. The painter said could have been an imperfection from the factory or a water spot in the hot sun creating a magnifying glass concentrating to sun. I vote for a factory flaw. No more problems since. :black:

Jack

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I had it on my :black: deck lid and it kept spreading. I took it to my local paint guy, removed the lid and had the entire thing repainted. I also learned something new. The paint code is inside the glove box door.

·
Registered
665 Posts
My Asphalt '05 is doing the same thing on the deck lid and roof hatch cover. Apparently the Florida sun has taken its toll. :(

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Aloha,
My deck lid is fading too. Probably from a combination of hot Hawaiian sun and vog (volcanic fog - like acid rain). Is there any product out there that can bring the color back before it fades too much? I really can't afford to repaint right now.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Aloha,
My deck lid is fading too. Probably from a combination of hot Hawaiian sun and vog (volcanic fog - like acid rain). Is there any product out there that can bring the color back before it fades too much? I really can't afford to repaint right now.
Any good auto detailer should be able to bring back the shine as long as the clear coat is still intact. It might just need a good buffing with a cutting compound and then a polish or swirl mark remover. If it is really bad they might want to start off with a 2000 or 2500 wet sand paper.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The deck lid on my black SSR did that too. The clear coat started hazing then started to chip off. Fortunately it was still under warranty at the time and Chevy repainted. Now, sad to say, it is doing it again, and no warranty. It looks horrible, but something I will live with until I can afford a deck lid repaint.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Had my hood repainted by Chevy under warranty few years ago because of blistering and they said would it not happen again after repaint-guess what-blistering again in 2 other areas of hood and bed cover has 2 spots now also. Makes me cringe every time I wash it as I'm afraid the paint is going to chip off over blister area. Just to fix the trouble spots dealer wants $1500.00. Only new vehicle I ever purchased that had paint problems is my SSR.

·
Just a Canadian Fanatic!!
2004 SSR Ultra Violet
41,966 Posts
I had a thumb sized spot on the rear left corner of my lid, was there when I bought it, looked like a big ole spot of bird poop left there in the sun, took me about 30 mins to get rid of it ..... yep .... wet sanded it, then 3 stages of polishing ..... all gone!!! I did that just before the Deadwood Rally, still looks perfect!!!

·
Just a Canadian Fanatic!!
2004 SSR Ultra Violet
41,966 Posts
While hand-waxing the SSR the other day, I found a couple spots the size of a thumbprint where the paint looks like it has blistered. Anyone come across this problem before? And what could be the cause?
If you was close I would look at it, and try to take care of it for ya!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts