Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suspect there's lots of information regarding how to paint the exterior (satin) door handles on my 04 Smokin Asphalt R but I seem to lack the skills to locate that information on the forums (or for you purists: fora). When I had Torn8o painted the shop owner told me he couldn't paint the handles so I had them wrapped by a guy who all but guaranteed that he had a color matching wrap. Well, of course, it's not even close. Very disappointing to say the least. I can't imagine that they really can't be painted (want to color match the Smokin Asphalt truck body) but I'm guessing there's a trick to it. If that's true, well where's a better place to learn the secret?

·
Daily Driver
9,053 Posts
A lot of people have done it so somebody(s) knows how. Hang in there and one of the body guys like @RaticalSSR will chime in.

Oh, and fora, we ain't got no stinkin fora. LoL

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,556 Posts
That is really an odd statement from a body shop that they cannot paint a metal part. It's no different than painting any other metal part, prime, base and clear and you should be good. As others have said and shown, it has been done many many times.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
4,199 Posts
I wonder if their fear was the satin finish? Getting the paint to adhere to it was their worry?

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,399 Posts
Exactly the issue. Chrome plated metal has special challenges with paint adhesion. I have painted plenty of chrome pieces with the appropriate prep, but I never offered a warranty of any kind for the paint. The door handles that are not very venerable to rock chips, should really not give any problems with paint adhesion. My opinion only.

Reactions: richsadams

·
SSR Believer
2,128 Posts
For anyone thinking about painting chrome door handles, don’t do it!

I’ll trade you for a pair of nice satin ones. Just sayin’. 😉

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for taking time to respond. As I mentioned I felt it odd that the handles (and key lock) couldn't be painted and it appears that my feelings may be valid. Will forward these posts to the shop to see what he thinks. Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts