Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Attached are the begining stages of this very comlplex job. Worked all day yesterday doing multiple masking and unmasking with miles of tape. So far, left side is done, right side almost done, then I shoot the skulls later today and hopefully clearcoat it all. this is a physically gruelling job. Body is twisting in all sorts of positions!

·
Registered
371 Posts
You Go Ed!

Marc NY said:
DITTO! :thumbs
Just one question ED. As I look at your photos I see RED paint all over the paper, how did you get it to come out blue? Duh!!! I am not really this dumb, just don't understand the process! Looks Great though!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
living2be: The process is incredibly complicated! My blue tape, the red spray, the blue overspray, the black and white, all meld together into one discombobulated nightmare of tape that is miles long and hopelessly complex. The job was a nightmare to do with masking and unmasking a prerequisite, but I loved the problem solving. I had white underspray on the skull and used poster putty to hold it in place and all its parts. Bad idea. All the paint gravitated to those areas and cause a need to remask and reshoot the surrounding black areas where the underspray occured. the sun was just setting today when I realized this and I thought I was never going to finish this job but I just used the negative pieces of the stencil i created to mask out the painted areas and reshoot the black areas and voila. Since I suck at pinstripe brush work (for now, I am practicing), I used a barbed wire loose stroke to outline the skull. Hope ya'll enjoy the pics, here they are....

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I used a lot of different colored tape, standard masking, green with low tack in 1/2", 1/8" and 1/4" blue fine line painters tape, 1/16" blue fine line for radical turns, and good ole 3/4" masking tape. That led to some very confusing color schemes and wondering, what is tape and what is body color I just did? Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Some of you may wonder, why post all these pics of the entire process? Well, we often don't have a clue as to what is involved when something gets painted and this little show gives those who don't know an idea of the amount of work involved in painting a custom job. Hopefully it will teach those that want to do the same and those who wish to have others do it to theirs, will appreciate all of the hard work involved. goodnight:) :D

I get her rubbed out and polished tomorrow and then I will post more pics of the finished job....finally!!!!! :eek :eek

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would like to personally thank all the guys at micar collision center for letting me use their facility and giving me the advice I needed to do this job. You have proven to me that if you are driven enough and willing to take a chance, amazing things can happen.
http://www.micarcollision.com

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,814 Posts
Stretching your idea

Someone might take what you have done and do a wolf or wherwolf howelling at the silver moon (door handle) on thier's ... :eek :glol :D :( :nodno or not. See how much fun custom paint is. now you have door jams, dash, console to work on.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks Ed, for the explanation and eye opener to what goes into a custom paint job! I never knew how much was involved, only knew that it looked great, just like yours! You may now place "2" feathers in your hat, Ed! Good Job. Looking forward to seeing the final pics.

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Hey cruzned,

I must say you have a LOT of guts! I saw some other pictures of your SSR (in a car show) and it has a BEAUTIFUL black finish!

Was there anytime during this process that you thought, "Oh my God, what am I doing?"

Lookin' good so far though........

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Very Nice

Great job ED.

I know you have been planning and working on this for quite a while and it finally is complete. Your patience has paid off.

I know how you must have felt when the first piece of sandpaper hit the paint. I worked with the detailer for two weeks to complete the paint detail on mine.
It always nice when it over.

:cool :cool :cool

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks friends, greatly appreciate the kudos. Well, here it is late in the afternoon after getting my baby buffed out and guess what? Those beautifull curves we like so much on our SSR's, are the biggest pain to buff out and paint. The paint gravitates uniquely to these uneven surfaces and requires some real finesse. The polishing was to the point where the big wheel of the polisher could not manipulate over the fenders very well, so I had to do those areas very slowly with polishing compound by hand. Mike at Micar Collision Center was the polisher and did an outstanding job. I just finished it this evening on the hand part and she looks much better but I still see scratches. Oh, yea, when I first srcatched the clear coat it took me back quite a bit and I will have to massage those scratches for some time to come to get her back to perfection but she will be there. She looks pretty good tonight. Here are the pics:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts