Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is one option for reducing/preventing the chips and damage to your paint. 3M offers a paint protection film. It's available in various sizes 1,2,4, & 6" wide rolls in lengths from 12-40yds and also strips in 4,6,& 12" X 84"

to check out more info go to www.3m.com/paintprotectionfilm

Since it is applied like window tint it can be removed with out damaging the paint, like spray on protection coatings are permanent. There are pros/cons both ways.

hope this helps,
kroozn

·
OP
8,226 Posts
invisible bra

read my earlier post "invisible bra".
The product is X-Pel who was acquired by 3M. They provide CAD drawing templates for specific vehicles. They also prvide the film kits pre-cut.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Clear film...

I have a clear bra on my truck.....I would recommend that, if you are going to put same on, that you use a professional installer, as it is MUCH harder to apply then window tint ( window tint you "shrink" and this stuff you "stretch") I had mine done by Clear Pro/Modern Image, Huntington Bch., Ca (714) 375-0591 - Vic or Enrico. It is not inexpensive but hopefully will save re-painting costs. Also, it is not a "perfect" process - you can see it (my truck is black) and you can see some bubble/imperfections. Hope this helps you. Jeff a/k/a Tallnla

·
Premium Member
31,678 Posts
I just had mine done last week as well (prepping for the long round-trip drive from the DC area to homecoming). I've got a few minor issues that I'll have them clear up after getting back, but for the most part, it's barely visible except for up close.

I agree about the not inexpensive part!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ampmop,
thanks for the info on Xpel film, definitely going to check it out. The film/install isn't cheap but less hassle then a repaint.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I have looked for someone in the area that will do the SSR so far no one will touch it to many curves and to much time. Any one in Dallas area got this done? Might have to go to Houston where Houtex got his done'!

·
OP
8,226 Posts
wildcat66 said:
I have looked for someone in the area that will do the SSR so far no one will touch it to many curves and to much time. Any one in Dallas area got this done? Might have to go to Houston where Houtex got his done'!
I would STRONGLY recommend using "The Ding Company" in Austin, where I had mine done. Excellent work and you'll drive home the same day as long as you get it to him by 9:00am. Send me a PM and I'll call you with info.
OP

·
OP
8,226 Posts
clean paint

It was nice talking to Wildcat today.

One thing I should also mentioned about the invisible bra is that make sure you have clean paint, ie., no dings, scratches, etc... The film will preserve any imperfections, so have all you imperfections corrected before applying film.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hey Guys..Click on my photos.... these graphics are on 3m film.... This stuff opens up all kinds of possibilities.
Zack

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
wildcat66 said:
COME ON - we'll turn the party light ON!! :party

1 - 15 of 15 Posts